Kenetrek Boot Review

MTCOWBOY

Well just got back from a elk hunt in the Belt Mtn's of Montana. We logged around 35 to 40 miles in 5 days of glassing. We were in a mix of heavy lodgepole with blow down, and steep canyon country. I was wearing the Mountain Extreme NI. This is a 10" boot designed for warmer weather hunting. However we had a great mix from 60+ above to 15 above w/snow. I have warm feet and wear 1 wool and 1 cotton over. My feet were very comfortable when hiking. However, early morning sitting and glassing led to cool feet. Support was out of the world, stiff ankle support which in the country we were in was a blessing. The up and down over lodgepole blow down can be a nightmare these boots made for a great day. Traction was as good as my boots with air bobs. Would I recommend them yes but would advise wearing them a while before taking them hunting.

GOD BLESS THE USA

Good review...Kenetrek does advise a breakin period. Boots will form to your feet. Also, try a liner sock that wics away moisture as your base sock,( polypropolene, thermax, coolmax) anything but cotton. Cotton is the worst and will almost quarentee cold feet.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I am a Professional Wildland Firefighter, I use a pair of merino wool as base. Have found over thousand of miles (seems like it at times on fires) that the wool wicks sweat away and the cotton catches it. I was born a Montana ranch boy and grew up on the wind swept NE side of the state, feeding cows when it was -20 to -40 below before wind chill was figured in.

GOD BLESS THE USA

I bought a pair of Hardscrabble Hikers two years ago and after one season the rubber started coming unglued at the toe. I talked to a rep and he said it could be from using an oil based boot dressing.I took them back and got another pair and made sure no oil touched them. After a few times wearing them around doing chores and only about 10 days of easy hunting (not many rocks}this year, the same thing has happened to this pair.Other than that they look like new and I like them alot but I'll be taking them back to get them sent to the factory for repairs.

I also have a pair of Mtn Hunter non insulated. Love them! best boots I've ever owned and im 59. Hunted Sheep in Co. this year 16 days and probably 20,000 vertical feet. Great traction and comfort. In fact I wrote a thank you to Kenetrek I was so happy with the performance. Also for me they didn't seem to need any break in.

MTCOWBOY do you find that the cotton absorbs the sweat instead of the boots and that it is not against you so you still stay warm? I wear the moisture wicking stuff and all that is left to absorb the sweat is my boots. Then they are cold, damp or frozen the next morning because of it.

I pack 2 pair of cottons for every pair of wools, in both my fire pack and hunting pack. I wear my wool 2-3 days but change out the outer cotton every day. The cottons hold the moisture and are sometimes soakin wet after a day of wear while the wools and my feet are dry & warm.

GOD BLESS THE USA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom