Knifes of Alaska

ElkSniper

Very Active Member
I keep hearing that those knifes of alaska are pretty good knifes. That they last up to 4 animals with out a sharpen. Just wanted to know if any of you own a knife of alaska. Are they worth it? Should I get one?

I have about 5 of them. This year I bought one of the havalon piranta and have not touch the Alaska knifes this year. I would but a piranta you will have a better knife and more money in your pocket.
Jay

I concur with the recommendation to get a havalon piranta. I have the knives of alaska caping knive and will always take the piranta. Nothing wrong with the alaska caping knive but the replacable blades on the piranta is just superior. The piranta is great for caping and skinning but you still need a knive with a thicker blade for all around work. The piranta blade is very thin and will fold with any significant lateral pressure. Another plus for those watching weight is the piranta is very light.

Get the tigersharp knife. It has replaceable blades and is designed a lot better then the havalon pirania. I have been using one for two years and it works great.

I bought a set of KOA before my 2008 elk hunt. They light hunter and the cub bear were dull within the first few cuts because the blade was ground incorrectly. I had to send them back in to be reconditioned and they seem to be better now, but I still don't trust them. I have a custom knife from RELH on the way.

The KOA filet knives are a different story. I use those to debone meat and they are unbelievable.

I have several of the KOA and like them and use the small KOA and the Havalon Piranta as well. I do have a harder time getting the KOA sharp when it gets dull.

>Get the tigersharp knife. It
>has replaceable blades and is
>designed a lot better then
>the havalon pirania. I
>have been using one for
>two years and it works
>great.

Are those blades able to be resharpened? $12 for 2 blades is kind of a deal breaker for me compared to the piranta. I know scalpel blades will always be available.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom