Kudu and oryx from africa

S

stinkystomper

Just thought I would share some pics with you guys from my recent trip to Africa. The whole purpose of my trip was to shoot a 60 inch kudu. That is the equivalent of tagging a 400 elk. It took me 5 days of hunting to get this kudu that went 59 inches. I hunted for 7 more days and got a 60 incher but I also let down my guard and started shooting other animals after I got this kudu. He is by far my favorite. I also got a 41 1/2" oryx bull. The shot fired on my oryx caused a nearby springbok to jump out of bed. My PH informed me that if I didn't shoot him he was going to. Once my ph tried to take my rifle I decided I better shot him. He is waiting for the drying period and is suppose to score in the top 10 sci. Anyways, since my gila elk and antelope hunts are still months away I thought I would share some huntin stories in order to pass the time. I am an avid elk hunter and haven't missed a year yet but I am becoming hooked on kudu. Let me tell you guys, hunting these things is a an awesome adrenaline rush. These things are more challenging than elk. We had actually spotted a 63 inch bull on a trail cam but were never able to find him. Oh, and they are a heck of a lot cheaper than huntin elk.
488ffc62057f3c4e.jpg

488ffcb506b2de19.jpg

488ffcde076aa40e.jpg

Awesome!!

If I were to ever go to Africa, I'd want to hunt Kudu...I've been facinated with them since I was a little kid. I think their amazing looking animal.

Post a picture of the 60 incher.

You got 3 incredible animals. I doubt if most that go to Africa do as well as you did. Those could hold their own anywhere.
Congrats.

Thanks for posting those are some amazing animals. I mounted a 50 inch Kudu last month and thought it was a brute, he doesn't hold a candle to the one you shot. Well done and congratulations.

Jordan

48908af3354bb2be.jpg

48908b1d36a8b526.jpg

The single kudu is the 60". Not as pretty as the 59er but his curl is massive.
The 3 kudu in the picture are from left to right 58 7/8", 60" and 55". I will be going back next september after the 2 60+ inch kudu we couldn't find if anyone wants to go. I will be concentrating on the one we think may push 63, and I propably won't hunt the one we estimate at 62 because of time constraints. Usually people going to africa are told to shoot smaller animals because we just don't know and the larger animals are hard to find which means less money for the outfitter. I made friends with Ian my PH on my first safari. That trip sucked because we were treated like idiots. Ian quit the safari company and started free lancing on his own. He won't let you shoot an animal unless it will score silver medal sci or higher. Most outfitters save animals like these for their repeat clients. But honestly, the price isn't bad. If you just want to shoot a giant kudu you need to hunt at least 7 days at $300/day. A plane ticket round trip is $1500, and the kudu trophy fee is $2000. So for $5600 you can get one heck of a bull. Oh and I shot 6 oryx, 4 blue wildebees, and over 8 blesbok on the last day for $500. If you go with free lance outfitters you can get a lot of animals for cheap. They will take you to ranches that have over grazing problems and let you have at it. I also shot about 9 warthogs for $350. I am already talking to my banker about going next year. I will have my elk and antelope hunts paid for by december at which time I will be taking out another loan to go to africa. I love to hunt and will spend every penny I have to do so. I can at least say I'm living the life I never thought I would have.

WOW! is all I got to say!! I would love to kill one or two or three of those......one of these days. What are the extra cost associated with a hunt like that food, lodging, etc? Just curious. Awesome pics keep them coming.....

Lionking

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

balz, was the kudu you mounted last month from a guy named eric??? met a guy from albuquerque in one of my hunting camps and he got a cape kudu about that size.

Nope Sorry this gentleman was from El Paso. They make such an amazing mount congrats again those are some hogs for sure.

Jordan

Oh man!! That 60 incher is a hog!!

He may not have been as "pretty" but he was a magnificent beast.

Sounds like crazy fun. I can't begin to imagine harvesting so much game.

Stinkystomper, Who did you hunt with? Do they have a website? Those are tremendous Kudu and I may have to re-think who I am going with next summer. Many Thanks! - Panhandle -

The guy I hunt with does have a website. However he is guiding about 200 days out of the year for various outfitters and takes a while to get back to you. Usually about 2 weeks. His site is vdvsafaris.co.za The $300/day guide fee includes meals lodging transportation etc. He advertises $400/day but he does it for $300. Once you pay this all you have to pay is the trophy fee for each animal you shoot. I told him I wouldn't shoot anything that didn't score in the top 100 sci. I ended up shooting a blue wildebees, waterbuck, warthog, oryx, kudu, springbok, impala, blesbok, and some other critters. Oh, and the one everyone is going to hate... A monsterous black Giraffe bull. Only thing that sucked about my massive trophy expectations is that I started at one end of the country and ended up in botswana. Lots of traveling but every animal is in the top 100. Ian works for other outfitters in order to make ends meet and when he sees large animals he remembers where they are and takes his clients back to them. Most guys he takes hunting are slow and miss most of the good ones. I think I am going to charter a flight to Zambia this year because he found an area with monsterous eland. If anyone wants to go I will be paying for the $3000 plane rental. Kinda sucks going by myself every year so any huntin buddies are welcome.

Panhandle

If you go with him and don't get a 56 inch kudu its your fault. He wouldn't let me shoot many 56 inchers and I was very tempted to shoot one with my bow. I had him come to water at 5 yards. He literally stepped over the ground blind to go to water. He was about 56 and I regret not shooting him with my bow. That was the most my heart has pumped in a while. He also made me pass up several 58 inchers after I shot my first one of 59. I finally caved and shot the 55 incher against his wishes. Ian didn't even want me to shoot the 60 incher because he knew a bigger bull lived in the area. Ok cookie, here you go. You just want me to post this picture so everyone will hate me. This guy had 2500 lbs of meat.
48910f2811dc6e63.jpg

Sounds like you cover some ground. My son and I are planning to go over. Is this trip you speak of suitable for a 15 year old or is this in some rough areas maybe you would not want a child?

your son will have a ball. hunting is on pretty flat ground. if u want a big kudu just make sure u have thorn proof clothes. kudu love thick thorn brush. the hunter type is always catered to and everyone can hunt like they want. don't leave your son.

stomper,

Thanks for be willing to put down all that info on costs. You've given me something to think about. I've started saving for a moose/caribou trip to Alaska, but maybe an African hunt might be a better option.

Elk, at least the way I hunt them, are still cheaper though... :)

Great animals. Looks like an awesome time. I was working on a research project in Namibia searching for mountain zebras (near Fish River Canyon area). The kudu on the mountains there reminded me alot like elk and seemed like they would be a great hunt. It looks like you were hunting on flat thorn scrub and not in the mountains. Gonna need to cash in the retirement account and go bag some critters....

Also the oryx out on the Kalahari were absolutely amazing against a backdrop of red sand.

Great pictures and good luck on your hunts.

Robert

Stomper,
Is Ian a one man show, or does he have other PH working with him?
You asking about other hunters going the same time, does he always stay with you are are you alone in a blind at times?
What I'm asking can he guide multipule hunters at the same time?

I always would have prefered the NMGF would planted Kudu here, along with the Oryx. I should be happy for what we do have I guess. Always wanted to get a bull Kudu in my sights.
Thanks for sharing.

Mozey,

Let me give you some advice that was given to me before my first hunting trip to Africa...DON'T GO!

If you do, hunting Africa will consume your thoughts, finances and time for the rest of your life.

On the other hand...GO! It is worth every penny.

Yeah, your right. I was originally planning a pahvant elk hunt with doyal moss for next year. I have since had second thoughts. I booked a sable, eland, buffalo, 5th kudu, nyala, and sitatunga hunt for next september. If I didn't blow every dollar I have on hunting I might have a house or vehicle or something paid for by now. If you are reading this cookie2 you can bet your bippy You and I will be going back after Texas Barbary sheep again, next year, already started sending the rancher payments.

Stomper,
Is Ian a one man show, or does he have other PH working with him?
You asking about other hunters going the same time, does he always stay with you are are you alone in a blind at times?
What I'm asking can he guide multipule hunters at the same time?

I always would have prefered the NMGF would planted Kudu here, along with the Oryx. I should be happy for what we do have I guess. Always wanted to get a bull Kudu in my sights.
Thanks for sharing.

Ian is a one man show but can hire other PH's to help. His best friend is a ph that wants to work with him but Ian hasn't needed to hire him as of yet. As for setting in blinds I only sat in one on 2 different occasions with the ranch owner. Ian was off caping out my giraffe and salting the hide and preping my kudu for taxidermy.

I prefer spot and stalk and Ian pretty much caters to me there. Ian is currently trying to talk a rancher in to giving him permission to hunt kudu in a mountanious wilderness area which he knows has monster bulls in it. We plan on horsback riding in and sleeping in tents at night. Were planning on shooting impala for meat and literally live off the land..... Cool huh! I hope he gets permission from the landowner because the area has never been hunted and I took three monster kudu in the flats very near to the base of the massive mountain wilderness.

I also sent you a pm

Hey Bigbull how are you?Kudu was one of the animals they tried transplanting here except they transfer something to cattle.I want one in my sights too.Good to hear from you almost time to go chase the big stinkys.And no i dont mean Moz lol

I haven't heard anything about kudu transfering anything to cattle, but they do have a problem with cape buffalo and wildebees giving the cattle serious diseases.???.. Too bad it didn't happen. Would've made my commute to the local kudu hunting area a lot easier.

Crazy..
Good to hear from you too. We've been scouting and saw a couple of big stinkies last Sat. One typical 6 and one better than typical. It was so hot, I almost croaked.
Moz & I were big stinkies that day for sure.

I think maybe the sickness they might have been worried about was Brucellosis. That seem to the big worry of cattlemen when talking about importing exotics. It causes pregnant females to abort and is very contagious.

On Utahs wild buffalo hunts in the Henry Mountains, the State has a Vet. on site at each hunt. Hunters have to give him blood samples of any buff killed to check for Brucellosis.

Any sheds lately?

Stomper...
Thanks for the PM. That answered my question well.
I'd prefer spot and stock to sitting in a blind.
I'd sure want a PH along to help judge if the bull
has "big-ins". That last 6" makes a big difference.

Thanks again for all the photos and info!

crazey, you've got a bunch of nerve bringing up my odiferous state after I hauled all those sheds out for ya! ;-)

heheh, does that mean you're ready to go out again? I found two more yesterday, both about 130" sixers, laying right next to each other, but no match...

(Sorry for the thread highjack)

Those are some magnificent Kudu. Congratulations. I am simply astounded that you killed three kudu of that size in one safari. I sent you a pm with some questions.

Since there are other guys out there who like kudu I thought I would share my first kudu with you guys, and yes Ian was my guide on that hunt to.
489fcace5b1fb9c6.jpg

489fcaf15be6a229.jpg

Anyone care to guess the size????

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom