La Sal/ Dolores Triangle Deer Tag

B

bbcopedog

I realize drawing this tag is very difficult and should be even more since the dates have been pushed back into December. Does anybody know what kind of bucks to expect during this hunt? I know that it can be a weather dependent hunt but any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Go the bottom of this Forum and you will see the thread I put there awhile back.
Brian

2yy7c76.jpg

bbcopedog

It will get even tougher to draw the non-resident muzzy tag if they don't even issue a tag like they indicated in the 2010 Big Game Booklet. I posted this question in the Elk forum:

Page 2 of the recommended deer permits list has hunt #26 - LaSal, Dolores Triangle Muzzy Deer at "0" non-resident permits.

Page 50 of the 2010 Big Game Guide Book has this same #26 hunt listed in "Black Text" (the book indicates - black text: At least one non-resident permit)

Am I missing something?
which is correct?!?!?!?

I called the DOW representative and she couldn't answer my question so forwarded me on to someone else (she was not in so I left a message).

Here is the link to the recommended permits list:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/info/2010-03-04.pdf

This was my first choice so I think it would be pretty crooked of them to tell you they are offering a tag and then not even offer a chance in the drawing after you paid the application fee (fraud?)

SDbugler,
something's wrong. I have a copy of the 2008 and 2009 hunt booklet I printed off, and it says there was a NR permit in 2009 being offered as it was in 2008; These tables are printed pre-draw, but do conflict with the table you printed that clearly says "0" permits offered 2009??????

The Christian

Play it safe and withdraw your application and apply for a hunt that has tags, because of the extension! HuntinFool may have steered a lot of NR the wrong direction on this one. I changed mine yesterday.

I almost applied for the muzzy tag too, but luckily I live close enough to scout it out ahead of time. Since December I've made half a dozen trips and I've been able to look over quite a few deer.

There are good numbers of deer this year, and they seem to be doing okay, but the best buck I've seen was about a 160" 4x4. A lot of the antlers were broken up in December. There are surely bigger ones around but what I've seen hasn't been very impressive.

My opinion is that it's a good hunt because there are a lot of deer to see and the hunt includes part of the rut, but if you've got visions of monster bucks it's gonna take some luck.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-10 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]> Play it safe and
>withdraw your application and apply
>for a hunt that has
>tags, because of the extension!
>HuntinFool may have steered a
>lot of NR the wrong
>direction on this one. I
>changed mine yesterday.

Don't think your problem is with huntin fool but the DWR. The Utah guidebook says their will be 1 tag to NR. The tag totals are proposed numbers, not final and the reg book says there will be one tag for NR. I'm still putting in, in previous years they honor the guidebook. 1 less guy I have to worry about I guess! :)

I will gladly apply where there are known tags. The DWR recommendation is for 4 Res tags and 0 NR tags,looking at the numbers I do not see Utah offering a NR tag here. Let me know if you draw my tag!

What does the printed guide book say? There is a known tag.

Recommendations are not final and in years past this very thing has happenend. The only official FINAL document released by the Utah DWR is the guidebook and they list a NR tag. This happens every year with tags with low numbers of tags, we usually just don't have the deadline extended or overlapped. What would you have done if it hadn't extended?

Like I said... totally cool by me if you guys switch. Amend away!

The DWR recommendation is dated 2/24/10, when was the big game book printed? Many states set quotas well after the app period. Huntin Fool will have a hundred NR applying for that muzz hunt, I hope there is a tag for someone. Show me a Utah deer hunt where a NR gets one of the 4 tags, not likely. No extension, I would have been out of luck. Maybe that is why SDBugler did not get an answer from the DWR.

SDBugler must have been reading archery or 2009 numbers. Good luck in the draw.

The lady at the DOW called me back yesterday morning (very nice lady). She said "yup it's a mistake on the permit recommendations sheet". Apparently the program that the biologist uses didn't round up to "1" for the N-R tag. She talked to the biologist and they were going to get it changed to reflect the correct number. She thanked me for brining this to their attention. I checked this morning and it looks like they have it ammended already.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom