Lake Almanor

newguy

Hey Guys,

I am heading to Lake Almanor this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any advise on the fishing, this is a family trip so I wont be hitting it to hard but would like to spend a little time fishing,I will have a boat and like to fish for both Trout and Bass, I have never fished on this lake so any input is apreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Sageadvice here om MM lives in that part of the country and he can help you if you get ahold of him or he sees this post. Been too long ago since I was up there fishing so can't help you out....have a good time.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Hi Mark, understand that generally, this is the worst time of year to have a great fishing day on Almanor. I've lived here close to 30 years now and have been fishing these waters since 1964 but i can't always go out and catch fish, not always.

I might suggest that you fish along the shore from Rec area #2 on the peninsula, north, along the steep rocky shore up to the mouth of Baily Creek. That is about a two or three mile stretch, most all good water. Fishing tossed unweighted crawlers can be good.

If you like to stream fish, The river running thru Chester should be good now as it's just now starting to come down as well as the Hamilton branch above the mouth a mile or so. Lots of nice smaller trout to be had there.

Without knowing your experience or what you are geared up for, tough to say where, or what to fish but easy to say, get out early...at or even before dawn. Have fun!!

Joey

Hi Mark, I agree with Sage.....this is one of the hardest times of the year to fish Almanor. The lake is warming up later due to the late winter and snow run off. Over the weekend of the fourth of July I caught trout trolling in areas that wouldn't generally hold fish that time of year.
If you are in to fly fishing, the Hex Hatch has just started at the lake. This is an evening fish and good on the west shore. If you don't fly fish you may want to hit the shallows of the west shore from 7-9:30 pm with a bobber and cricket.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I will try the Smallmouth fishing, I will let youo know how it goes, Bow6x6 I responded to your pm.

Mark

No big deal but Bow6x6 looked me up for info on the fishing a couple weeks ago. I sent him to my favorite Smallmouth Bass area. He did pretty good i'm told. Glad to hear that he did well but that fishing can change daily.

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom