Laminated Wood Stocks

jbricejr

What do you guys think of these things for a hunting rifle? I was talking to a gunsmith today and telling him that I really didn't like my Lone Wolf stock, as it is noisy in brush. I asked him about a rubber coated stock and he told me I should consider a laminated wood stock. He said the laminated stocks are every bit as good as any synthetic stock, with zero problems with warping and changing POI etc. I know nothing about these. Are they heavy? I hate to mess with my rifle this late in the summer, as it is a great shooter, but I cuss every time I'm stalking and my stock rubs something loudly. Thanks for any thoughts and info.
John

I have 4 rifles with laminated stocks and have had zero problems.They are a little hevier than wood or synthetic but are worth the extra weight to me.

I'm an old time purist and of all my rifles in two safes only one has a synthetic stock and all the others are natural wood with several having a polyurethane protective coating. The synthetic one is a sporterized 03A3 30-06 that I dropped in the Ramline stock for hunting in bad weather in northern MI. I still have the beautiful stock my Dad made for it back in 1973 from a blank piece of walnut when he put it all together as a Christmas present for me that year. I would agree with Whiterock that the laminate stocks are hard to beat if you are into them and the way they're made.

I am a purist as well, so I think the laminate is the happy medium. Some are quite pretty. I however think that if you shoot plenty, even is a wood stock warps, you can always adjust the scope and still have a lot better looking gun. I don't like plastic guns(yes I have a Howa, and a SRc and LCP) but they are ugly fun toys. Kinda like that chick you call late on thursday nights, fun, but you don't take her out in public!

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

I think laminate stocks look awesome... you can find some on stockys.com or boydsgunstocks.com They have plenty of colors to choose from. I'd say it's something to look into.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom