Lasik Surgery and Kamra Inlay

Kelco

Has anyone had these procedures done? What was your outcome? Are you satisfied with it? Would you do it again? Any pros or cons? Thinking about having it done. Thanks.

My wife had lasik done about ten years ago and my son just had it done. They said it hurts for a while but both couldn't believe how well they could see after they had it done. And both would do it again in a heartbeat. No more contacts or glasses and all the headaches dealing with that. Also have a friend that had surgery before lasik came out and he was estatic. No more glasses trying to look through bino's and scopes. Don't know what Kamra Inlay is so can't help you with that.

I had PRK surgery which is nearly the same as Lasik, only difference is lasik they slice off the top layers of your eyeball for laser to penetrate, then flip them back over. PRK they scrub them off with a tool similar to a power tooth brush. PRK has a longer recovery time 5 days vs 1 day. However end result is same.
I had PRK cause my eyes snap shut when anything gets close, they snapped off the clamps they use to pry your eyes open during surgery. They thought it would complicate the cutting if I snapped the clamp off again so I had the PRK.

YES I LOVE it! would do it again in a heart beat, except this time I would use the pain medication like they told me to. That crap was PAINFUL a couple hours after cause I refused the pain medicine. I wanted to cut my eyes out with a butter knife!

so great not needing glasses! even better, mine was free :D

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I had Lasik perfomed last June and I love it. I and thrilled wiht the results and wish I would ahve done it sooner. I used Hoopes Vision in Draper, Utah and I recommend them to all of my friends. That is the best money I have ever spent.

-Hawkeye-

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-16 AT 09:27PM (MST)[p]About 6 years ago I had prk or whatever they call it now because my corneas were to thin for lasik. It was done with a laser. Now, and for the last 3 years, probably for the rest of my life, I suffer from dry eye so bad the skin on my eye literally dies and peels off the cornea. The pain, more like severe irritation is extremely uncomfortable. It wakes me up out of a dead sleep every time it happens. I have learned to deal with it by putting liquid eye gel in my eyes before bed and if I still get an attack, I have a severe dry eye drop formula on my headboard that I start dumping in for the next hour or so so it will heal, hopefully.

Sometimes I get an attack during the day and my eye starts burning so I carry severe eye drops in my pocket as well. I also had to have 4 plugs installed to keep the tears from draining so now, I can't touch my eyes if they itch or whatever. If you rip the plug out, its about 120.00 to have it replaced. I've had it so bad, well actually every time it dies, that when I blink, the lid acts like sandpaper and one time it literally tore a piece of skin off my left eye. I now see a halo looking at lights at night in that eye and my night vision is now trash.

What they don't tell you about lasik or prk, is when they cut that flap, laser it off or whatever, it kills the nerves in your eye. Those nerves are what tell your tear ducts, "hey bud, we need some more water out here", without that signal from the nerves cause they're dead, dry eye can be the result.

Last elk season 3 days in I got hit by a cow fly in my right eye. Because of the dry eye it got infected, the hunt was over a couple days later. I almost lost my eye but got lucky we nailed the right drug right the first time. But now I am looking through scar tissue on that eye as well, night vision is trashed.

My brain has compensated and ignores the scar tissue during the day so vision is pretty good, but not like it was. If you have dry eye problems at all and are considering doing it, think twice. Have them test your tear production first. If I would have known this was going to happen, I wouldn't of done it and I didn't have a dry problem to start with... I have one now

That sux 3blade.
I had dry eyes for about a year but after the first month it started going away. You are required to use eye drops for about 1-2 years after no matter what.

Night vision was zero the first few months for me too. I couldn't walk down a logging road with a moon out and no clouds. However, my night vision now is back to what it was before.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I had Lasik surgery done over 15 years ago...glad I did it too.. sucks driving at night cause it makes reflections a lot brighter and high beam carlights are blinding...DON'T MISS THE GLASSES AT ALL!!! I still see clear as a bell at normal to long range distances.....but have to wear reading glasses for close up stuff..guess that comes with old age...

I had Lasik about 18 years ago. No pain at all, dry eyes for maybe a few months.

I saw 20:20 for two years and then started regressing so I started wearing glasses again. One eye is -2.50 diopter and the other is -1.0. But I still think it's great, I was -12.00 before the surgery. I couldn't see to walk around without glasses and now I could see to drive a car if I needed to. You can usually have an enhancement done if you regress but they told me I didn't have enough cornea left to take any more off so don't come back.

Lasik doesn't cure what causes near sightedness, it just makes a permanent contact lens out of the cornea of the eye. So if your eyes were getting worse before the surgery they will continue to get worse after the surgery.

I don't have good low light vision. I think that's because when your pupils open up you are no longer looking totally through the part of the cornea that was treated. My ophthalmologist did tell me that they treat a larger area of the cornea now than they did when I had mine so that may not be as much an issue now.

But there can be complications.

I had never heard of KAMRA either so I looked it up. Lasik and KAMRA are used to treat different eye conditions. Lasik has been around for more than 25 years, KAMRA is relatively new

Lasik and PRK are used to treat myopia (nearsightedness) and astigmatism (a roughness of the cornea, if they do a topo of your eye it looks like a ridge or valley across your eye).

KAMRA is used to treat presbyopia( the inability of people over 40 to see up close)

With KAMRA they will only treat one eye, so you will be reading with only one eye. But you will be seeing distance with both eyes.

Sometimes they do monovision with Lasik for people over 40. Meaning one eye is corrected to 20/20 to see distance and the other eye is corrected to 20/40 or worse to read with.

It looks like if you have myopia and presbyopia you can do both.

had lasik performed 15 years ago and still loving it. when i wake up, i can look over and see the alarm clock without glasses/contacts. i do have a problem w/dry eye like "3blade" mentioned. however, not as severe. i'll keep single use eye drops with me when they act up; usually on a windy day.

doc mentioned i may need glasses as i age, to see things up close.

Our Son-in-Law had the Lasik procedure. He was almost legally blind in one eye and 20/30 in the other....wore way thinck glasses....Went through Lasik at Stanford...came out 20/15 in good eye and 20/20 in the almost blind eye....go to a top quality Doctor with tons of experience and refferences...We know a lady that went the less expensive route and after she had real problems of hurting burning eyes...not so good results....had to eventually get a better Dr. To correct the problems....You get what you pay for.....not all people are canidates for the procedures...

))))------->

Thanks for all the information. I am going to go for it. Tired of reading glasses. Doc said I need to do Lasik to get best result from Kamra.

I never did lasik because my eyes were so bad I had no confidence it would work, but I had my lenses removed and replaced last year due to cataracts. I was about 20/600 without glasses in my good eye and could barely see anything out of my bad eye, even with glasses.

It was like a miracle. After surgery, I had 20/15 and now it has stabilized at about 20/20. I had to wear glasses or contacts for over 55 years before my surgery, but now I only need glasses to read due to my age.

I had high deductible insurance at the time, so it cost me close to $10,000 total, but it was worth it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom