Late Archery Hunts...

GeorgeE

Ok, I know a few have been going on since the 1st...Lets see or hear about them!

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

Lots of deer but no mature 4x4 bucks seen so far. Beautiful country for sure. Few days left so we'll see what happens.

My 194-196 hunt just ended as I have to get home in time for Christmas. No mature 4x4's seen and another NR had the same experience. Could have used more snow in the High Country and I think that the newer long rut rifle hunts with 50 plus tags have really affected this hunt. I hunted the same time frame in 2010 and it was a much different experience. I had a great time but would have enjoyed some stalks on mature deer.

We found the same thing down in 192 with only one mature 4x4 spotted. He was up high in the snow and conditions made it tough to get within archery range. Ended up moving down low and found a good mature buck that we wanted to go after so with only an hour of daylight left, I humped it up to where we thought the buck was headed. Long story short, I had a buck walk out 33 yards in front of me right where I thought he should and I shot him. Unfortunately he was the wrong deer and only ended up being a 2 1/2 year old three point.
The positive is that we found the original buck the next day and my buddy was on him all over the mountain but just couldn't get him to stop for a clear shot as he was with 11 does/fawns and was still chasing pretty hard. That one buck was really the only deer we saw that was pushing does.
My buddy is heading back up this weekend to try and seal the deal.

Based on all of these posts, it sounds like Nevada's deer hunting has gone into the toilet.

>Based on all of these posts,
>it sounds like Nevada's deer
>hunting has gone into the
>toilet.

Yes, I'd probably pass on applying there! :)

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

I certainly wouldn't say that Nevada's deer hunts are in the toilet but I do think that they have issued far too many rifle tags during the rut in 194-196. Also, switching the rifle hunt to the November time period has really changed the December bow hunt. Early migrating mature deer are dead and severe high country weather is your only hope. The rifle pressure has also put all deer on high alert. I'm sure that the last week of December will be the best week to hunt but, as a NR, I had to leave so that I could be home for Christmas. I wish the best of luck to those that are still in the hunt.

George, i know that you are joking, but I'm seriously thinking about just applying for a point until the quality rebounds. Looking at the photos from guides, it looks like quality was way down. Not sure if the drought is to blame or other factors. Not sure i would want to waste the points or money on what i'm seeing.

Almost all of the late archery hunts are weather dependent. There will always be mature mule deer in these units year round but the majority will migrate in following severe enough weather (units 015, 021, 194, 081). I would agree that the last few years hasn't produced as many BIG bucks as in years past but I think it's almost entirely because of the mild winters as opposed to a degredation in quality. Some of the sheds guys are pulling from these units just goes to show that the herd still produces some monsters. The issue with just putting in for bonus points is that you run the risk of missing a great winter. 194/196 has gotten so difficult to draw that in my opinion it's no longer worth it to give up a bunch of bonus points and hope for weather.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom