Late Elk - 10 points

O

OldMan

What are some of the better late elk hunts that a non resident with 10 points could possibly draw in 3-5 more years. I'm also concerned about access due to weather, elk moving off to private land and so forth. I've considered some of the muzzy hunts too since it appears I'm getting close to being able to draw. DIY hunt, no stock and looking for a mature bull. Up until now I've been holding out thinking I'll get an early rifle tag for a top unit - but I don't think I have enough years left in me to get the necessary points.

Pahvant, Beaver, Monroe, San Juan, Dutton can be good, depending on the year...Those are a few of the better units.

I think that's a wise choice. I like the late hunts for a lot of reasons. I think they can be harder physically especially on the better units. I'd pick a unit that is glassable and give yourself the entire hunt to get it done.

I really believe that on average, better bulls are killed late on several units.

If you can glass and hike you could likely kill the bull of a lifetime.

I appreciate the information. Do other hunts overlap the late elk seasons in those units mentioned above? In a normal year would snow limit access onto the public land?

I don't think you'll have to worry about other hunts. You'll definitely have some competition from other elk hunters though.

Snow is anyones guess and a concern, but I wouldn't let it scare you away. I'd rather deal with snow than wait umpteen years to draw an early tag on the same unit.

I've not looked too close at the SWD since the unit is huge. As a Non Res. I won't have the scouting time to narrow it down much. Are the elk concentrated in certain areas? What does the ownership pattern look like?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-10 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]Just do the SWD depending where u live, great unit cant go wrong!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]I was looking at the SWD late hunt, hadn't really considered it before you guys mentioned it SWD and Aaron. One question I have for me and "Oldman", how is the quality of bulls now that the late hunts have gone from 13 tags to 37 this last year. Can you still take a 340+ bull on the late hunt if you put your time in? Or has the tag increase pretty much knocked the quality way down?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge...

I really feel you can take a 340+ bull putting the time in. On the late hunt. The indian peaks WMA is a good place to start looking. South end of the Wah wahs usually holds some good ones. Its a fun unit to hunt.

You have sort of convinced me on the SWD. I did find some maps showing land ownership today on the internet. I'm surprised how much BLM land there is. I believe I have it narrowed down to 3 units to consider. Southwest Desert or Pahvant late hunts or the Book Cliffs muzzy. Any positives or negatives worth kicking around between those choices. At least I have a few months before applying and likely a few years before drawing to keep checking things out. It will be interesting to see if the increase in tags attracts applicants or chases them away.

I dont think you can go wrong with any one of those picks. I like the SWD for one there are big bulls and two I live right by it.

Those are all good units, hard to tell you which one to pick.

I hunted the books cliffs bitter creek archery hunt this year and took a nice 330 bull. I did chase a bull for a good 3-4 days that ended up scoring 384. Couldn't get the job done with the bow on the bigger bull, but happy with what I was able to take. That being said, I did not see very many quality bulls on the books this year. One 380 bull, one 340 bull and one 330 bull(which I took). Most the bulls I found where in the 250-300 range with one or two in the 310-315 range. Basically, lots of cows, small bulls and a few good ones.

I helped my dad on his Pahvant muzzy hunt in 2009, it is a good unit and has more bigger bulls on it. I have not yet been or helped on a late season hunt there, but rumor has it that there are some good bulls taken off the late hunts.

SWD sounds like a good unit as well for a late hunt. I am going to have to do more research on that unit.

Another thing to consider, hunting bulls in the rut is fun and a great experience, which is what you would get on the Book Cliffs muzzy hunt. There are a few huge ones out there, but not a lot of them. The average bull taken off there is going to be 300-330 even on the muzzy hunt.

The rut hunt aspect is why I keep adding the muzzy thing back into the equation. That late hunt in the SWD is really intriguing and looks like it would be a neat hunting trip. Especially the high desert terrain. It is not something I get to hunt experience often. Decisions to make and I appreciate you guys lending giving me some advice. Thanks.

I'm also considering the late elk hunts, I have 12 points and would really like to hunt the early rifle, but I ALSO BELIEVE THAT IT WILL TAKE more years than I want til I CAN HUNT IT. I would do archery but I don't want to lower my chances for success. I believe with a rifle I stand a better chance at my once in a lifetime tag. I looked at the late hunts that you have mentioned and believe I stand a chance at getting a tag. The SWD is next to 231 in Nevada. We hunted it last year and we pushed the border bulls east and some nice ones. Hopefully I can hunt Utah this year. Good luck to you Oldman!

Well its getting close to the aplication period have you decided what unit will best fit you? What state did u say u live in ?

I'm still undecided. Either SWD late or Pahvant late. The SWD high desert experience looks like it could be real fun. I guess maybe I am leaning that way. Vastly different than the Pacific Northwest where I live.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-11 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]The pavant late will be a snowy SOB so I would defanatly go with the SWD! with 10 points you might have a good chance to draw that tag!but u and put in for both units if you want!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom