Late goat/early goat?

predator

Very Active Member
I have a choice given the very generous season Montana gives on mountain goats. I can go the last week of September through the first week of October, or the third week in October. Any goat veterans out there that can give me some advice?

Lisa:

I have been fortunate to have have harvested 2 nice billys in my home state of Washington. I like the later season because the goats have longer hair, and thus make a wall mount a whole lot more attractive. You do have to watch the weather like a hawk because you can be snowed out quickly. Check the weather patterns over the last 10 years or so. If you think you'll be ok
with mid Oct, I'd go with it. Also, Billys rut in Nov, so that
may be a plus. Good luck, and be carefull up there. Having been
there hunting these critters in some dangerous terrain, no goat is worth getting killed for. Be sure to get some good pics for us all! If you have any questions, send me a pm.

I got mine in mid-Sept. and I'm real happy with his hair length and fullness. It had snowed about 6 inches a few days before we arrived and it made the stalking a little spooky in the super steep stuff but it gave us fairly safe foot holds as it was a little hard and firm. Noisey as heck but not to bad.

Which goat/hunt dates work best for any other hunt dates you have for this fall might be a good deciding factor.

Smokepole or the big gun?? wanna borrow my bow..haha

Lisa,

In late september the goats I've seen are pretty well haired up. The weather should be fantastic. Temps in the 50-60s during the day and around freezing at night. The elk should be going nuts too...

The third week of october could be a hit or miss for snow. It seems like the last 15 years or so there has been snow in the Madisons by opening weekend (third sunday of Oct) of general rifle season about half the time. About 5 of those there was about a foot in my elk hunting spot... Other years the weather was about like bow season.

Also there will be alot of people in the hills if you go around opening weekend of rifle season, a great consideration would be to go between the close of bow season and the opener of general season. There would be very few people in mountains then, not that they are going to interfear with you goat hunting anyway.

Good luck... I might see you aroud town if you go the end of Oct... I got deer, elk and antelope tags to fill.

Ivan

Hey, thanks guys. It looks like after talking with my fearless leader that we'll do it on an 'on-call' basis; I'm flexible enough with my schedule and he can keep an eye on the weather. We'll be going as far as we can with horse and mule, then spiking out a few days. Sounds like my fleece liner in a 15 degree bag will be worth it!

Predator,
Around here most goats are well up high in Sept still hanging around the glaciers but move lower in October. I've been told by avid goat hunters that the best week to hunt is the last week of October. We do have areas that the goats are always hanging low too. So I guess it all depends on your area. I hope you nail a big billy and make sure you post up the pics.
Here is one I filmed the other day to get you pumped for the upcoming hunt.
fb4a3ee0.jpg

fb4a3ee3.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom