Late Season Elk (Utah)

H

HoundDawgJr

Just got this story from the boys at the coffee shop this morning. The dumbasses in the Utah DWR never cease to amaze me.

They have this "late season" archery elk hunt in Utah county, right? Well, let's face it there really isn't a season anymore like there used to be. We start hunting deer and elk in August and never stop until January. So there really isn't a season anymore, just pick which six months out of the year you want to hunt deer or elk and Utah will have something for you, assuming your check clears.

Anyway, these elk come and winter down in the BYU Dairy outside of Spanish Fork. Well, they run them out of there and then the archery hunters descend on them. Well, I guess a local guy by me killed a 340 bull this past week that was run off the dairy.

These guys telling me the story saw the elk and said it was a nice one. I guess he killed it clear down by Circle V meats, and they ended up chasing these elk clear down by the Spanish Fork Airport.

Ya, that's right, THEY CROSSED I-15 and ended up clear down by the airport. For those of you unfamiliar with Utah county or the Spanish Fork area, this is MILES from any mountain, foothill or winter range. They chased this herd of elk clear through town, across the freeway and out by the airport.

The DWR didn't know what to do with them then and they were way too far from the mountains at this point, so they just shot them all.

Now I didn't witness this happen, I just heard this story in the coffee shop this morning. But they weren't saying, "Well, I heard from a buddy that..." They were telling it straight up and said it's fact, not fiction.

Has anyone else heard about this? I think it's kind of comical. We put in for these elk tags for years and years, and we sit and listen to all the hype and bullshit from our DWR and our Sportsman's groups and we keep paying our money and waiting for our turn. Meanwhile guys are chasing deer and elk all over their winter range and down through town.

Apparently, those idiots in the Division aren't going to figure it out, so I'll make it easy for them. Look, just do what they do with lions. Sell unlimited numbers of quota tags on these deer and elk and forget the archery crap. Just line everybody up with rifles first week of December and do it like we used to do it rabbit hunting. It'll be like a big huge Rabbit hunt with 2,000 of your closest friends. Just form a huge skirmish line along the foothills and benches and make a huge push. Anything that runs out dies, just like rabbit hunting. Think of the revenue it would generate and c'mon we'd all be writing the check for a piece of that pie.

Or you could also sell "night tags" so the second wave could come in after hours with spotlights and clean up any survivors. Seriously, charge $200 or $300 bucks a tag and people would LINE UP to get them. $$$$$$ This is a big money idea people.
We all love to rabbit hunt right? Well, imagine instead of rabbit hunting, you and your buddies are walking in a skirmish line with your .300 mags cutting down deer and big bulls in the foothills. We could even get drunk and go make a drive through the Trojan plant at the mouth of Sp. Fork canyon and cut those bucks down, or better yet, cut the fence and chase them through Mapleton and into South Provo where an ambush would be waiting for them. That would be awesome, big bucks running into this ambush and just getting piled up. Then we'd go hit the Hercules place or Kennecott property or something. I'm talking big money here people. Our Division's financial problems would cease to exist.

Hell KTC, you've been waiting what, 11 years for an elk tag? Well buddy, they just chased your elk through Spanish Fork, across the freeway and gunned him down in a farmers field. Go lay claim to him dude and I'll come help you cape him out. ;-)

Anyone interested we may form a big elk drive this weekend. Get your bows and park along side I-15 between the Benjamin and Spanish Fork exits and get ready. About 8:30am we'll push them to you and see to it that nothing makes it across the highway alive!! Don't be late, we'll run 'em in a few circles to wear them down first so they'll be slowed up, no excuses!!

I-15 Outfitters, Inc.
Licensed and Bonded Utah Outfitter
Elk Hunts June through February available
BLM Usage permit for I-15 corridor
Dumbasses Welcome, this is Utah!! ;-)

Dawg,

You must be mistaken. That 340 bull was missed by that bowhunter. It was close, but a true miss. It had to be because the archers involved couldn't call the elk within 25 yards of the backside of Circle V holding pens.

I must say, I chuckle when I hear of the swarms of folks out by Fairfeild doing this same thing. Elk come off the Oquirhs, winter on the dry farms, and these guys lick their chops, waiting, out manuevering the next guy with a bow, hoping, that he can catch one of these great raghorns "crossing" over to the desert side of the EA.

These guys could certainly use I-15 outfitters. You would have to lower your prices though. We are dealing with a 2 lane highway, not a divided 6 lane freeway. These guys need to figure out the rabbit theory. They need to work together and quit the in fighting like brothers and herd these elk like Herfords.

These late season, cold, deep snow hunts with bows are rough. Not easy by any means or anyone's standards. By banding together we could own the EA world! Hell, you don't even need to use I-15, just go where ya need to. Use the "Traverse Mountain" strategy.

You failed to mention Camp Williams. The deer are down and sure a nuisence. Hoards of of people are watching these nice bucks, I mean "monster bucks," feeding along the cop training facility. Maybe someone can ace one of those deer and claim EA? The county line is only a mile away. We could do a deer drive into Salt Lake County. Or, use the Traverse Mountain strategy and kill em. Kill em dead. Again, it is only 3 months long, so we will have to move fast.

I saw a dead Elk hanging from a barn truss on 11200 street down there in SF. It was about a 320-340 bull. Some one must of killed something off of there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom