Late season Elk?

COBOHNTR09

How do Elk migrate towards the later part of the season? I've never really hunted in Oct. for Elk, do they tend to stay in the thick cover or is the herd already starting to break up with bulls by themselves? What are some of your experiences or opinions on hunting late season?

COBOHNTR09

From my experience it really depends on the area and hunting pressure it has seen and the weather. Larger bull are off by them selves by later Oct, the herd size of the cows are spread out and fewer in numbers, small bulls still may be found running around with the cows. By Oct. if the snow has moved into the area (12?-24? for more than two weeks) they are lower near winter range. Typically they have moved onto private ground and ranches in the valleys. I have had luck and seen more lower near meadows with access to the timber for the day time. I see a lot of singles and small heard?s move from the timber above at day break down to private ground and back up to the timber at night. Big bulls will stay in the dark timber as long as possible even with 12" of snow as long as there is a good feeding self and water near by.

What area are you looking at?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom