LE Elk Dilemma

3blade

Very Active Member
Guys, I am originally from Nv but have been hunting southern Utah for about 8 years, when I could afford or didn't draw a tag in Nv. About 5 years ago we bought a house in Utah then 2 years ago due to an unexpected accident that cost the wife her high paying job, we were forced to move here... best thing that ever happened. In Nv you don't have the option of putting in for bull elk and cow and because I like to hunt and not sit on my tail at home, I would always put in for the cow tag... so I have never hunted bull elk.

I have enough points in Utah now to draw a Fishlake tag no problem and a very good chance at Southwest Desert next year and for sure the year after that. Boulder would take a few more years. But the problem is, I am now 54 years old. With the 5 year wait and another 5 years for possibly a fishlake tag making me 65 or 66, this might be my only shot at this. I hunt archery and generally alone so getting one out at 65 could be an issue. I understand that there are some big bulls on the fisklake unit but for the most part it is a 300 or so bull area. I think Southwest Desert would give me a better shot at a 350 bull, but maybe I am wrong about that?

What do you guys think? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Am I right about Southwest Desert having better potential?

Whichever way I go, I need to start hunting it now with the otc spike tag to learn the country and the herd. So that's the delimma, what the heck would you do?

Would love to hear from guys that have actually hunted these units.

Thanks for the help.

Dan

I'd wait for SW Desert if it were me...they get some nice elk there if you know the country!

My cousin drew SW desert last year and did really well. Beyond that I don't know what to tel you to do.

By the way, don't knock the old guys, you youngster! We can still get around a little. LOL

Zeke

Dan,

Can't comment much on the SW Desert. I know the unit holds some great bulls, but never hunted it.

Your synopses on FL is pretty spot on. Definitely some great bulls on the mountain, but they hide pretty well in the thick stuff. The amount of traffic the unit gets keeps the elk skittish and quiet.

I spent some time on the archery last year with a friend. A 300 bull is certainly more of the norm. He did get within distance to a number of bulls that were in the 330-350 range, but there was always something that didn't quite cooperate. We did see a number of bulls topping the 350 mark, but never had an opportunity with them.

I'm in the 5 year wait period right now, having hunted FL two years ago. When I can hop back in I'm going into the archery pool largely so I can have a chance while I'm still young.

If you haven't been to either unit I would try and take a day or two at each this summer and see if one unit speaks to you more than the other. If one did, then I would concentrate this fall hunting it with the OTC tag.

The Southwest Desert has some great bulls. It is high desert country so I would say it more excess able. Then the high thick country of Fish lake. With it's wilderness areas and limit access . If the big bulls feel pressure and going back into the the thick timber, good luck on getting them out. They just disappear. But it is easier to get a Fish lake tag then a southwest desert tag. My boy got inpatient and blew his points on a FL archery tag a few years ago and ate tag soup. I hunted the SW desert with my daughter on a Archery spike hunt.As well as my dad on a big bull tag and a me a antelope tag. She did arrow a spike, but its tough getting use to hunting in 90 degree heat.My dad killed a nice 7 x 7 bull on the Muzzle loader hunt. Much prettier on the Fish lake.But I am prejudice ! I would say some huge bulls on the south west dessert as long as you can keep them in Utah. So older gentle man open dessert country...I would say SW desert LE elk tag for you imho !

I would say that i would draw fishlake. Why wait for the chance at a easier hunt for a hope of a bigger bull. Draw fishlake and hunt hard amd have a great hunt.....my thoughts are i want as many tags as i can get and make the best of them......i wont wait years for a "better" tag when i can hunt a far lesser unit and kill just a big of a bull or buck as the guys that waites/wasted the extra years. Draw the tag now and hunt rather than risk the years

Guys, thanks for the help, lots to think about. I have been on the Fishlake unit and the bulls do back off up the mountain into the top third of the thick stuff when the pressure is on. That unit does get a ton of pressure from spike hunters as well. Can make it tough for sure.

Only been on the SD once so I don't know if the pressure is as bad? Looking at the success rates tho, SD runs a solid 10 to 15% better than fishlake over the last 5 years. The terrain reminds me a lot of Nv, little thicker tho, but I had that stuff down pat in Nv, draw a tag, kill an elk. I need to get out there and look around. It's a big area, anybody want to point me in the right direction?

I would say the easiest place to see elk would be the wildlife management area where they fence the cattle out. The next would be any of the many burn areas. Along the Nevada border hold a lot of elk. But don't discount the big rolling sage brush flats. You always see a few bull hanging out in those washes and the flats aren't always flat.

I'm with tree, hunt now while in good health etc. I want to hunt and see as many places as possible.

A lot can change in 5 years..... Hunt what you can, when you can. I just drew a Tag after waiting 20 years, I'll tell you that I never want to wait that long again. If you're in a spot to hunt hard now, I say pull a tag and give it everything you can. You can kill a 350 plus bull on an otc tag, I know a few guys who have done it. Above all, make sure you have fun!

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I agree with the above if your in shape now try and get one now. I have 17 points and bitting at the bit for an elk tag in Utah. My wants is to get and early tag with a chance at a good bull. I too have been putting in for Fishlake, but no luck. I'm 61 and not afraid to take one out by myself. In the past 5 years I have taken out two cows from Fishlake by myself and not next to the road. Cut them up and make several trips to haul them out. If you draw get in good shape it makes the hunt more enjoyable. This year I plan to hunt the Rubys in Nevada, I'm already getting in shape to hunt. Your only as old as you feel. Make the most of it now, don't wait. Good luck.

If you are a die hard archery hunter I would go after the SW Desert over the Fishlake searching for a 350 plus bull. The terrain is a little more forgiving also. That being said if you are open to suggestions you may want to consider the Muzzleloader hunt on the Fishlake. It is a great hunt with little pressure. Similar to an archery experience with a much better rut. Good luck. It is nice to have options. Just a thought.
www.shanescottoutfitting.com

I have had the opportunity to hunt the fishlake with clients more than any other unit in the state and I love the fishlake. Although you may have a better chance at a bigger bull on the desert who know what your health may be by the time you draw that tag. Like many others have said you may want to take the tag while your healthy and in shape to do so. Other options that you may be close is the muzzle loader hunt and if you wanted to talk to someone about that hunt give me a call at 435-979-7227. Would love to help you out and I have had pretty good luck on the fishlake.

2543dscn00981.jpg

8727img2798.jpg

40muzzleloaderhunt084.jpg

4992muzzleloaderhunt083.jpg

www.hightopoutfitter.com

nice ones big6!

The muzzleloader tag has crossed my mind, but realistically it is going to take a couple more years to draw that tag. Besides, when it comes to elk, I am a die hard archery fanatic.

Oh almost forgot. There a no elk on fish lake. If you want to shoot a dink waste your points. :)Most people will end up shooting the first 300 " bull they see anyway. Taylor ( big6) grew that big bull on his farm. Not the case with Willy Wonka tho. :)

I've got to know Dan (3Blade) over the last few years. I walked into his camp the 2nd weekend this year & he was telling me about the 1X2 he had to let walk the prior day. "Dan, as long as it's a spike on one side it's a legal bull." I could see the wheels spinning & finally he starts laughing & says "you are right!" - Classic face-palm moment.

Dan, whatever you decide I have a feeling you will break the Utah dry spell when you draw! Too bad about your hunt getting cut short this year. Since you are obviously allergic to Fish Lake I'd say SWD is your unit.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom