LE elk

Jq23

I have 17 points going into the draw and I'm a resident. I'm trying to decide which unit to hunt and I'm hoping you guys could give me some input on the units I'm thinking about putting in for. I'm thinking of putting in for either manti or fishlake. I chose these two because I'm only a couple hours away from manti and 3 from fish lake. I would be able to scout them a lot. I am leaning towards manti because it seems to be more remote with less roads and more rugged. I will be hunting with horses so I can get away from some of the crowd. I know there are more tags given on the manti but it is a lot bigger unit than fish
Lake. Any help would be great. Thanks

Both units have their pro's and con's I honestly would go with the closet unit to you, so you can scout longer. Both units produce nice bulls especially if you can put the time in. PM me if you want info on elk on the Manti.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

I would go Manti if I had those points.it is quickly becoming one of my favorite units. I have seen some good bulls this winter.

Both units will normally produce about the same quality of bull. Fishlake does have alot of roads but there is plenty of places to get off the beaten path with horses. If you need some help let me know and i would be more than happy to speak with you.

www.hightopoutfitter.com

I would have to check, but it seems like there should be some better quality units you could draw with that many points. You might want to check the odds. However, they could be farther away then you want to travel.

Fishlake isn't worth 17 points. Lots of elk but very few big Bulls and a lot of private that most of the bigger Bulls dive into after the archery hunt gets going.

I know the Manti well and it's not worth cashing in 17 points. Anybody can get anywhere on that unit and you'll see lots of people and lots of road hunters. You could draw a much better tag on a much better unit. Don't know anything about Fishlake though. Good luck and have fun! Wish I had your 17 point problem!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-16 AT 05:56PM (MST)[p]I am a non resident and I have 16 elk points. I was thinking about hunting the Manti this year. As a NR I would be chasing most of the units mentioned for years without a lucky random draw. I am close on Fish Lake.

My goals are not as high as some. I am just hoping for a reasonable chance at a 350" typical.

Any thoughts?

Buckjunkie,
"My goals are not as high as some"

A 350" bull is a worthy bull in even the best units in the state...and the Manti is not one of them.
There are bulls of that size on that unit, but not in great numbers.
Best of luck

Little Bighorn,

Yeah, I thought I might get a response from that statement. I can certainly appreciate the difficulty of finding a 350" bull. And, even in the best units a 350" bull is a worthy goal. I am a do it yourself guy, but the stakes are high. I have been putting in for points for a long time. I dont want to wait forever, but I do want to go hunt.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom