Lead free ammo

dillon

Very Active Member
Do any of the lead free ammo options stand out as winners?

My wife wants me to switch to lead free because she watched a documentary about lead bullets that freaked her out.

On the bright side, I have a nice budget to make the switch.

I am looking for factory ammunition for my Tikka T3 Lite chambered in 7mm rem mag.

Thanks.

Dillon
Www.dillonhoyt.com

These Lehigh Bullets are Pretty Wicked!

75120lehighbullet.jpg

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Had problems with nosler etips this year on deer. The pedals broke off upon expansion and caused too much meat damage.

If you have a "nice budget" them make the switch and see what works for you..BUT...WY..don't need anymore leaf lickers either..:)

"Sometime's i drink water to surprise my liver"

...viewing one leftist documentary caused your wife to get stupid???....or was she headed that way anyway???

>Had problems with nosler etips this
>year on deer. The pedals
>broke off upon expansion and
>caused too much meat damage.
>

Ummmmm... That happens with monos like the E-Tip and Barnes offerings. mtmuley

I shoot Feferal trophy copper very accurate in my 7MM & 300 WM.
I have taken Elk, Deer, Antelope and wild Boar with then no issues.

I had never used Barnes bullets until I drew several AZ 12B tags. Cabelas teamed with several orgs to provide free X bullets because of concerns over condor survival. They shot so well in many of my rifles, and I have continued to use them for many animals. I vote for both the TSX and TTSX

I have been using Barnes for over a century now and they have always performed flawlessly. I use them exclusively in all of my hunting loads.

LEAD for Me!

They're gonna Die from some Major LEAD Shock!

Or Limp off like a Condor!

And Die from LEAD Poisoning!

way with Words[/font]

Thanks for the input.

I am married to a good woman but she is not a hunter and she went to the University of Utah which didn't help. Yes, she is a little left, but I put up with it because she puts up with me.

I had bad luck with copper (condors) bullets on the zion years ago so I have been hesitant to switch.

Thanks.

Dillon

Hey Dillon!

You can show Her Just about any Bullet(Except Cheap BLAZER 22 Ammo!) and Bullllsshhhiitt Her in to Thinking it's a Solid Copper Bullet!:D

way with Words[/font]

In my opinion go light for caliber with a solid, and I'd hit them high shoulder. I use 140 gr Barnes TSX out of my 7STW.

>I have been using Barnes for
>over a century now and
>they have always performed flawlessly.
> I use them exclusively
>in all of my hunting
>loads.

Are you sure?

>>Had problems with nosler etips this
>>year on deer. The pedals
>>broke off upon expansion and
>>caused too much meat damage.
>>
>
>
>Ummmmm... That happens with monos like
>the E-Tip and Barnes offerings.
>mtmuley

My point is it's not supposed to! They claim 95% weight retention but every deer I shot had multiple little exit wound channels from 1 bullet.

I've Heard & Read alot of FAILED BARNES!

When They Work like they're suppose to they are Great!

Seen a Guy Shoot a PISSCUTTER Buck at 400 Yards this year with a 6.5 Creedmore & a Barnes Bullet!

Proud as Hell the Buck limped off a ways & Died,Luckily!

Recovered the Bullet & There was ZERO Expansion!

1/3 down from the Tip the Bullet was Slightly Bent!

I'd Say there wasn't Enough Energy left at 400 to Expand the Bullet?

We'll See what woodruffhunter says when He Chimes in!

way with Words[/font]

I have shot Barnes bullets for a lot of years. I have never recovered a bullet. Meaning I have always got good penatration . I have alway shot large magnums. Well this year one of my daughters shot her first buck. She shoots a 270 with a Barnes bullet. Cleaning her buck we finally recovered a bullet.
14701img2167.jpg
. It retained all of its weight except the plastic tip and double in size. I have always done my part and put the bullet where it needed to be. I guess you can look at it this way. I would rather have a bullet penetrate threw the bone and hit the heart or lungs. I don't want a bullet that mushrooms on a shoulder and doesn't penetrate. A Barnes bullet will open up depending on the bullets velocity . Allowing it to penetrate going where you want it to. There isn't a magic bullet that kills on contact of hitting a animal. You need to destroy vital organs. I have always had good luck shooting Barnes bullets. Even on one occasion where I missed the Vitals. ?

>I have shot Barnes bullets for
>a lot of years. I
>have never recovered a bullet.
>Meaning I have always got
>good penatration . I have
>alway shot large magnums. Well
>this year one of my
>daughters shot her first buck.
>She shoots a 270 with
>a Barnes bullet. Cleaning her
>buck we finally recovered a
>bullet.
14701img2167.jpg
. It retained all
>of its weight except the
>plastic tip and double in
>size. I have always done
>my part and put the
>bullet where it needed to
>be. I guess you can
>look at it this way.
>I would rather have a
>bullet penetrate threw the bone
>and hit the heart or
>lungs. I don't want a
>bullet that mushrooms on a
>shoulder and doesn't penetrate. A
>Barnes bullet will open up
>depending on the bullets velocity
>. Allowing it to penetrate
>going where you want it
>to. There isn't a magic
>bullet that kills on contact
>of hitting a animal. You
>need to destroy vital organs.
>I have always had good
>luck shooting Barnes bullets. Even
>on one occasion where I
>missed the Vitals. ?
+1

I am sold on Federal Premiums loaded with Barnes TSX. Ive used them since Az bought me 2 boxes in in 05. Utah buys me a box every year for my Zion hunt. I havnt needed to track a buck. They drop.

since this is all we can shoot here in Kali if you are on State or Condor lands
Barnes bullets for me I have shot them since I was a kid and will continue.
I shoot a .338 mag and I haven't found a bullet yet as it seems to go through the animal. I haven't lost an animal yet they don't go too far so I will stick with Barnes.
You only have a couple of choices depending on what gun you shoot, and finding them in stock is another issue all together.
Our new laws suck in this state

Barnes bullets have worked well for me. I go a bit light for caliber also like a 150 TTSX in a 300 WSM and a 168 TTSX in a 300 RUM.
Zeke

Another fan of the Barnes TTSX here. I have only recovered one, and it looked just like the one pictured above.

This year I shot my cow elk right through the front shoulder bone, and I still got a complete pass through and exit hole out the other side right behind the other shoulder. Upon inspection, I found one broken petal in the shoulder wound channel. It's the only time I've seen one, however.

> I've Heard & Read alot
>of FAILED BARNES!
>
>When They Work like they're suppose
>to they are Great!
>
>Seen a Guy Shoot a PISSCUTTER
>Buck at 400 Yards this
>year with a 6.5 Creedmore
>& a Barnes Bullet!
>
>Proud as Hell the Buck limped
>off a ways & Died,Luckily!
>
>
>Recovered the Bullet & There was
>ZERO Expansion!
>
>1/3 down from the Tip the
>Bullet was Slightly Bent!
>
>I'd Say there wasn't Enough Energy
>left at 400 to Expand
>the Bullet?
>
>We'll See what woodruffhunter says when
>He Chimes in!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>

I've never had a Barnes bullet fail and I've used them for over 15 years. When there are failures it is because of people running them too slow. A 6.5 creedmore should be shooting a 120. Barnes love speed. Drop weight and you will increase expansion and still have plenty of penetration.

My 6.5 ultramag shooting 120 barnes usually shed all the petals. The shank would still exit and often the petals would too. When they say there's no such thing as too dead, they haven't seen a barnes at 3,700fps ;-)

I guess I'm too old and to hardheaded.

But I take exception to some pointed head liberal bean counter sitting behind a desk in Wash DC try to tell me the use of my lead bullet is going to cause the extinction of some doodoo bird. I just don't buy it! LOL.

I will continue to use my goto lead bullets that have served me for 60years.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I don't hunt to kill but in order not to have played golf.

>My 6.5 ultramag shooting 120 barnes
>usually shed all the petals.
>The shank would still exit
>and often the petals would
>too. When they say there's
>no such thing as too
>dead, they haven't seen a
>barnes at 3,700fps ;-)

JUDAS Bob!

Is that a 404 Jeffery's Necked to 6.5?

way with Words[/font]

Looks Like Most Guys have Had Good Luck with the Barnes!

I Like a LEADED Bullet that Expands & Stretches the other Side of the Hide with the Elk/Deer Absorbing All of the Energy!

A Guy Should Just Start Using the Non Leaded Ammo!

You Know it Ain't Far Off & Somebody will Prove that a Wounded Deer that Got away & Died,then a GAWD-DAMNED MagPie/Crow ate the Meat/Lead & Tipped Over because of LEAD Poisoning & We'll be No Different than KALI!

Mark My Word on it!

way with Words[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]>>My 6.5 ultramag shooting 120 barnes
>>usually shed all the petals.
>>The shank would still exit
>>and often the petals would
>>too. When they say there's
>>no such thing as too
>>dead, they haven't seen a
>>barnes at 3,700fps ;-)
>
>JUDAS Bob!
>
>Is that a 404 Jeffery's Necked
>to 6.5?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>
Kind of like this Bob ?

62166img2173.jpg
. I was lucky to draw a Bison tag last month. I recovered one bullet while cleaning the bull. I went back two weeks later with a metal detector and dug this one out. I got a pound of hot Retumbo. This Barnes was going over 3800 fps. I grab the wrong reloads for my hunt and used two of these hot loads on my Bison hunt. There was a ejector make on the case. It took a lot of punishment. Meaning the bullet. So did the bull. One shot broad side threw the lungs and one threw the front shoulder quartering to me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom