learning materials?

Striker

Does anyone know of a good source of scouting tips? I was looking for a book or something that I could learn techniques from.

Back country bow hunting, by cameron hanes.
Public land muleys, by david long.

Those are my 2 favorites

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

not in any way trying to be rude but I seriously dont know of a book you can read and then apply it to finding a big buck or bull.

are you looking for info on what a deer track looks like?
are you looking for info on what a bull wallow looks like?
are you looking for info on how to use your spotting scope?

what info are you looking for? maybe someone here can help you if you explain what you are hoping to learn. I personally think scouting techniques are learned the hard way or blue collar way by getting off the couch and hitting the hills!

No substitute for on the job training!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

Ok Swbuckmaster, good question. I have spent a great deal of time over the years in the field. So I am pretty well seasoned in the basics. I guess it would have helped to have better explained myself in the original posts. I have spent a great deal of time hunting the same territory and have been moderately successful in doing so with both deer and elk. However, I am looking at broadening my horizons. I would like to know what to look for when looking at topo maps of a new area that I am considering. Finding water, possible game travel routes, bedding areas, etc. effectively on maps. I would like to know what methods some are using to glass efficiently and effectively. Animals although not identical will have certain tendencies to work cover the same way. It's some of these more advanced skills that I am looking to acquire. I have not done a great deal of pre-season scouting in the past because of the family traditions that have been handed down. We hunt hard but not necessarily effectively most of the time. Certainly never from a four wheeler. I'm not afraid to get in the trees several miles. Just looking to utilize my time to the fullest and develop better hunting habits.

some of the best tips I can give you would be

you cant kill big amimals if they dont exist in your area. Id say pick up a B&C or P&Y book and see where a few trends are. If you spend hours and days in an area that on a good day only produces 24" 3x4 your chances of killing a 4x4 above 180 are not going to happen.

Pick up a book on hunting drawing odds. this will help you out on areas to apply for drawing odds. Some of these books have pictures of bucks you could expect to see so you know if the area has the trophy potential you want to see.

reading topo maps isnt an art. They only show you general features. For elk or deer typically look for areas no one wants to hike and start there first. However it dosent always work out like the books say. One of the largest mule deer ive seen this year was standing next to the road and he shows up like clock work.. Some of the best water sources iv found are not even on maps. So you still will have to do your foot work. Id say the same thing about glassing. The more you know an area the more you are likely to see the animals in the area. Example some guys I hunt with think I can spot animals pretty good. Well the only reason I can spot animals well is I am looking in my home turf. I simply know where they typically are and look in those areas first.

So my choices for reading would be
get a subscription to eastmans they have a research part privy only to guys with subscriptions.

maybe pick up the magazine the carters are putting out. Who can argue with their success.

I like Cameran Hanes book on back country bowhunting it is just a good read.

get a book on p&y or b&c records for your state and put in some time in the areas the big bucks are capable of growing trophy horns.

Id also say become a member of some sort of shooting club "archery/gun." Typically these guys are the more serious hunters. Some of them also like to talk about the size of animals they shoot. You can learn a lot from someone who is successful. maybe take them out to lunch, maybe do some butt kissing, maybe they will allow you to come along on a scouting trip with them.

good luck!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom