Left handed youth rifles

muleyhunter413

I have a left handed daughter. She is my baby and the only lefty, so hand me down guns don't work well for her. I am looking to buy her a rifle for her birthday and could use a little help from any of you with knowledge or experience. What is a good quality rifle that would fit a left handed youth. She is young but I want one she can shoot for years to come as well. Any ideas? Thanks

Have you confirmed that she is also left eye dominate as well?

I have two left handed kids. Went through this especially for shotguns.

We shopped around a lot for a left handed rifle and ended up buying a Ruger Left Handed .308

I see there is one on gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/631294438

Just one idea, your mileage may vary.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Mar-20-17 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]My first was a Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker with a BOSS in 270. Ruger makes a few lefty versions.

Savage has left-handed in the Axis II. Replace the stock trigger with a Rifle Basix trigger and you will have a economical gun that shoots great. That is what I start my kids on any way. 3 out of 4 of my kids are left-eye dominant.

My kids have used a LH Remington 7mm-08 that came with an adjustable recoil pad (with plates) to shorten or lengthen the stock as the child grows.

I second the 7mm08. I bought one for my daughters birthday a few years back. It's a Thompson Center venture youth model that comes with replaceable buttstock pads as they grow. Makes a perfect mountain rifle for me too when I want to carry something light and short. It's taken down bull and cow elk, mule deer, antelope and Barbary sheep all with no loss or having to do tracking.

My dad is a lefty. I am a righty (normal):) > We took care of the problem with a Browning Bar Semi auto ! We have about 7 or 8 of them now. :)

Thank you all for your responses. As always (or almost always) your input is much appreciated. I'm gonna check into the 7mm-08. I was thinking about that one before so I am glad to hear you guys have liked it.

Browning X-Bolt Micro Midas in 7MM-08.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-17 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]If browning makes the 26 nosler in a left hand that's what I'd get, with a muzzle brake they kick like a 243. Dropped 2 elk with one this year at 478 yds and 435 yds.
Bad to the bone rifle

Curious why folks need a left handed gun? I'm lefty in every thing I've ever done and solidly left eye dominant. I've always shot right handed guns. Never once thought of why you would want a lefty.

All my shot guns, Ruger 270 and AR type rifles I've owned over the last 40 years eject out the right side and never once has it been a bother. I actually think AR's are easier to shoot as a lefty than as a righty. Even my current AR308 with a slick side upper has only ever tapped my ear phones once on ejection.

I've been much more of a bow guy my whole life, but would like to know what am I missing in a left handed gun from some of you with more experience?

Cheers, Pete

c3,
For me, it was just what was given to me when I started. I should say when I started shooting big centerfires. My first centerfire was the A Bolt. After thousands of rounds and maybe 30 years shooting leftys, a left bolt is just standard for me now. I am right handed for everything, but I'm legally blind in my right eye, there's almost no vision there. I have right hand bolt guns that I inherited and can shoot them just fine, but for the serious shooting, I feel the need for a left bolt. Maybe it's a mental thing. I have three left hand AR rifles too. I guess it's how well the person shoots, not what side the ejection is.

I shoot left-handed, but have never shot a left-handed rifle. For her to start shooting and hunting, I don't think you need a left-handed rifle. However, if you are buying a rifle for her anyway, one with a left-handed action might be better.

I'm a lefty. I've got both right and left bolt actions. All shot the very same but when the chips are down, and I need another round quick, the left hand bolt is a split second faster and sometimes it matters. Most of the time is doesn't. I think most of us try for one shot kills but sometimes........

DC

Bought my wife a stainless Savage in 7mm-08.

Think it's a model 116 without opening the safe.

Comes with the accu-trigger. My 2 accu-triggers are the 2 best triggers I own.

She shoots 139 gr Hornady SSTs on deer/antelope, and 140 gr Barnes for elk.

Both bulls she shot died within 10 feet.

She's 120 lbs and doesn't like recoil but shoots this gun well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom