Legal MZ bullets in Colorado

T

tompolaris

I can't find in the regs where PB's are legal in colorado. I e-mailed the D O W and haven't gotten a reply. Does anybody know where I can find the regs on this requirement? thanks guys.

They are absolutely legal. The plastic skirt behind the bullet does not make it a sabot, so it is legal. Thousands of people use them every year in Colorado. I have in the past, but have moved on to FPBs and Thor bullets.

Hornady FPBs are made of a lead alloy and tend to hold together better than pure lead conicals like powerbelts. They come in 300 gr and 350 gr. They are also cheaper than powerbelts.

Thors are basically a barnes, pure copper bullet. They are right at the same price as powerbelts and you have to order them direct from the guy who makes them: http://thorbullets.com/

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Any conical is legal: T/C maxiballs, hornady great plains, no excuse, prbullets conicals, bullshop, and even round balls are legal.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON May-28-10 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]New for this year, the CDOW did away with the "width vs. length" rule. This opens up a new batch of more accurate bullets for us to use!!

I will now start using the Ultimate Conicals with the poly tips from Precision Rifle. They specialize in MZ bullets...

Yep, last year I used the 350 gr FPBs but you had to remove or cut off the tip to make them legal. Now, not only do you not have to do that, but now thor 300 gr bullets are legal

txhunter58

Try the Harvester Sabertooth bullets, same idea as the pb's but a way better built bullet that does not come apart so easy. I personally would not hunt Wabbits (LOL) with a pb have seen way to many use them and they come apart and do not perform worth a darn. Heard good things about the FPB but have never used them.

My vote goes for the FPB 350 grains.Have never shot elk with the,but took a few whitetail and they worked great with fairly good accuracy.

Powerbelts are legal in CO. 338gr Platinum - 348 - 405- 444 are all great bullets to use for elk with powerbelts.

Harvester Sabertooth bullets need to be treated the same way as powerbelts. Low powder charges! They fragment just as bad as powerbelts when driven to fast. Pure lead has its limits.

Personally i use the 250gr Thor conical www.thorbullets.com as they are the best conical a shooter can use. 250 grains or 300 grains will do for anything in north america. I use the 250gr powerbelt driven by 100-110gr Blackhorn209. Great load that will NOT fragment because its a Copper full bore projectile.

http://frontiermuzzleloadin.powerguild.net/

Reverting to old habits Frontier!

You use the 250 gr THOR driven by 100-110 gr Blackhorn 209.

txhunter58

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom