Leica 1600

sniper14

I was just wondering if this range finder has angle comensation. Also would like any reviews by people who may have one, before I fork out the cash.

It has what they call, ballistic calculation. It calculates true distance based on: Barometer, temp, and angle. So yes and more.
It is a great device. Very good optics, and just works for the distance.
We wrote reviews on some of the other Leicas, not this one, but the same applies.
They are very good

ireviewgear.com

After reading this I was compelled to look at the reviews on it.

I have a swarovski rangefinder that I thought was a pretty good upgrade from the old Leica 800 I had.

This new Leica looks really good. Looks like the last rangefinder you would need. Maybe they will go down in price in the next few years.

I bought one last year. Let me tell you what it really does because I think the advertising is a little confusing or tricky.

I bought it and sold my 1200 because I was wanting a rangefinder to tell me the true ballistics. The 1600 does do the calculating for you BUT it does not tell you the true distance on the reading. After programming your rifles ballistics into it, it gives you a hold over or under depending on the angle, temp, pressure, altitude, etc. That's great and all but not if you have a custom turret on your scope set for each yardage. I wanted the true distance with all that calculated, not hold over, so I was a little dissappointed. Still a great rangefinder. I ranged an elk on my brothers hunt at 1405 yards. Compared to the 1200 it does take a little bit longer to give you the range due to the calculating I assume.

When they come out with one that just gives you a true ballistic number I will be biting.

Id be interested for the increased yardage, how far it will read?
my 1200 will consistently read off trees or brush to 1340

The calculation part seems confusing. How would you match the reading to a moa or yardage holdover?
your still going to need a chart or ballistic program to figure the wind hold

The 1600 will say how high or low to hold on the screen. Like "-8" will appear in the screen meaning to hold 8 inches low because of a steep angle for that yardage. I think that's what your question was? I wish it would just say what that true yardage is so I could dial my scope for it. For now I just use it in regular mode like the 1200 and calculate the angle myself (given the time) to get my true yardage.

I'm in the market for a new one and I'm waiting until Lecia have one that give the ARC on it, Same deal with the Swaroski I wish they would have ARC on it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I bought one of the refurbed ones from camera land this summer and really like it. The furthest reading I have had on it was 1975 yards on a small patch of aspens. I haven't played with the ballistics on it yet, but the inclinometer can help.

If my calculations were correct, with approx. 25 degrees of incline/decline the shoot to distance is 10% less than the actual distance.

There are some great inclometer programs free for smart phones and with a calculator on the same phone you can figure out pretty quick the true distance. If anyone cares to know I would be willing to type it all out.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

The Nikon 1000 works pretty simple. You push the main button and it gives you the actual yardage. you push another and then it converts that to the angle compensated yardage. Pretty nice as comparison is pretty obvious. Bottom line, you have your chart or dial and just adjust for that angle adjusted yardage. Now if I could just turn off the backlight the first and last 15 minutes of light!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom