Lesson #4

swbuckmaster

Long Time Member
The short game

You have herd about people saying they like to blank bale to become a better shooter. I don't think it actually works because it doesn't deal with how your mind sees the target. I believe you need to see your sight movement, target and get a feel of how you squeeze your release all at the same time. Shooting close will build up your self confidence quick. You still need to work on your form like you would with blank bail shooting though.

This is what I do for practice give it a try it will surprise you on how well it works

I like to shoot close say 10 yards. I take a target and practice a full Vegas score. At this distance you can connect on every shot. Keep practicing this way for a few weeks. You need to see your arrow hit the dot every time. Don?t go out and check to see how you do at 20 yet! After you have done this for a few weeks move the target back to say 15 yards. This will allow you to see more movement in your sight. Shoot this for a few weeks also. Once again don't go to 20 yards yet. When you have shot like this for a few weeks you can then go out to 20 yards. You will notice your scores will have gone up.

You might also notice you can set up a close range target range in your garage. You can check your pins without having to go out and shoot longer distances also. This is because your arrows flight has to cross the line of sight twice. Anyway this is how I practice when I don't want to go out and shoot in the rain or wind. I also like to check these distances because in a tournament you will have several shots at close range. These targets are a gimme if you have practiced them. Most people don't know how to shoot these targets so you will gain points fast.

Good advice, but I will agree and disagree to some extent; I do think that shooting blank bale was instrumental in me beating target panic, since I had a fragmented shot sequence. I still do a fair amount of blank bale, I find that when I devote some time to blank bale shooting my shots go off much smoother and allows me to focus on aiming.

I do completely agree with your "Short Game" theory. I do most of my practice in my basement. I am able to shoot 10 yards in my basement so for a while I shot the regular sized Vegas target. It helps build your confidence and get you used to having success. I then started using the "Scaled target" feature on Archers Advantage. This allows you to print targets at a size relative to the distance.

"I don't think it actually works because it doesn't deal with how your mind sees the target."

Really? What about the world class archers who swear by it? What about a world class target archer and bowhunter who not only uses the technique but encourages others to partake? Randy Ulmer? I don't know anyone better at putting big mule deer in the dirt with a bow than Randy.

I think saying it does not work is like saying jogging won't improve cardiovascular health.

It may not work for you, but, titling a post as a ?lesson? and telling others that blind bail shooting does not work seems a little egregious. Not trying to pick a fight but I don't think is fair to misrepresent something like that.

I would put a LOT of thought in SW's 'lessons'! He ranks right up there with Randy Ullmer, maybe higher as his success is all on public land AND DIY!

"maybe higher as his success is all on public land AND DIY"

You are joking right? Do a little research on Randy and his public land and DIY success. Nothing against SW as I know he is a wonderful hunter. I don't think he would put himself in the same category as Randy, at least I doubt it. Apples to Oranges.

Here is a little clip about Randy from an article on the Real Tree webpage titled. Best Bow hunters of All-time.

"Randy Ulmer-- Indoor. Outdoor. ASA and IBO World Champion. He has all the titles possible. And he's not just great at shooting foam; he's pretty dang good in the clutch with massive elk or mule deer too.

Randy Ulmer is known for his ability to kill trophy elk and muleys on public land. He finds them and then hunts them religiously until they are in range. And then he makes the shot count. Like Adams, Ulmer is a well-known columnist and bow educator to the masses. He?s influenced thousands of hunters and educated them on how to hunt the West effectively. It's what he loves to do ? hunt and then talk about it to others who want to listen."

Check his trophy room at: http://www.randyulmer.com/photo-gallery

Pschultheis

I don't post these lessons to argue with people. I post these lessons to help people increase their archery knowledge. If it helps only one person out I am happy.

I am not going to say I am the greatest archer or I am better than Randy. Randy is one of my hero's. A guy I look up to and a guy I would like to become. He has set the bar pretty high and in my archery career I don't think I will ever reach it.

To take one sentence out of a paragraph of info and make an argument is ridiculous IMHO.

I will say that it doesn't hurt to do blind bail. It will help you reinforce your good form BUT it can also reinforce your bad form, especially if you do it enough.

The Lesson I have posted is a way for your mind to get used to aiming again. It is a tool you can use to get over target panic. It has worked for a lot of target archers. It has worked for a lot of hunters. It is a way for you to practice without having to go to the range or to go out side. It is a way I check my sights at 2:00 in the morning before I hit the hills.

People that have gone through target panic or are going through target panic need to get used to seeing movement in their sight! You will always have movement in your sight! You have to learn to trust your shot! The short game is one way to get you back to enjoying shooting your bow after going through target panic. Is it the end all best way for everybody? Maybe not but it is a tool you can use to put in your arsenal against target panic.

So Pschultheis if you ever go through target panic or need to check your sight, or come upon a close target in a 3d range you might actually thank me. Especially if you try and shoot it with your eyes closed.

u0143779 Thanks for the compliment

Archery is a year round commitment!!

SW has some great ideas and lessons about shooting. Whether you choose to use them or not they are appreciated.

SW, I am in no way discrediting short-range training (I use it myself for training purposes on certain occasions) or any of your lessons. Also, there is some very valuable info that you have posted in your lessons. Please don't take it that way.

As a longtime bow hunter and competitive archer who has been around the block more than most I struggled with the statement that blind shooting does not work. Thats all. No offense meant.

Paul

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom