Let see those 2023 Colorado bucks...

I will give you a 4th season recap. Personally I saw more deer than I did with the same tag in 2019. I hunted 5 days from daylight to dark and never saw a mature buck. We probably saw 30 bucks 2+ years old but nothing bigger than a 24” willow horned 165” deer. I ate my tag!!! Killed a **** load of coyotes and had a great time. My buddy on day four put it very well when he said “we are trying to find a mature buck in a state thats main objective the last five years has been to kill all mature bucks”

RutnBuck13,

I wish more guys were like you.

Most have to put their tag on a 2.5 year old 130" 4x4 after they can't find a mature buck. Then they complain that they couldn't find a mature buck. This and the CPW's "slaughter" plan are the reasons there aren't a lot of mature bucks left.

I will give you a 4th season recap. Personally I saw more deer than I did with the same tag in 2019. I hunted 5 days from daylight to dark and never saw a mature buck. We probably saw 30 bucks 2+ years old but nothing bigger than a 24” willow horned 165” deer. I ate my tag!!! Killed a **** load of coyotes and had a great time. My buddy on day four put it very well when he said “we are trying to find a mature buck in a state thats main objective the last five years has been to kill all mature bucks”

Is this where I insert a crying face and tell you that you didn't hunt hard enough? Because that's what people do to me. lol

All joking aside, I am glad you dusted a bunch of coyotes. I hate those suckers.

Same Stuff Happens Here In DRATville!

After A Fashion Of Several Years Of The Same Sshitt Happening What Do You Have Left?

Hey RutnBuck13?

I Thought I Was The Only MM'ER To Eat A Tag?

There's 2 Of Us Now!:D

RutnBuck13,

I wish more guys were like you.

Most have to put their tag on a 2.5 year old 130" 4x4 after they can't find a mature buck. Then they complain that they couldn't find a mature buck. This and the CPW's "slaughter" plan are the reasons there aren't a lot of mature bucks left.

Colorado 3rd

CMINT.jpg

What’s the story on that big boy Marburg?
I have hunted Colorado for a very long time in many different areas. I have only killed a few bucks and usually eat my tag because I don't find a mature animal.

This year I was in the right place at the right time and patience was rewarded. My best buck by a good margin and may be the best buck I ever take with the way hunting is trending and the time I have left. I am very fortunate.

I have hunted Colorado for a very long time in many different areas. I have only killed a few bucks and usually eat my tag because I don't find a mature animal.

This year I was in the right place at the right time and patience was rewarded. My best buck by a good margin and may be the best buck I ever take with the way hunting is trending and the time I have left. I am very fortunate.
If he ends up being your best buck you should be satisfied. Congratulations!

NICE marburg!

Looks Like He's Been Eating Well Too!

Nice bucks Marburg, farmerdan and Bubba77!

I ate my archery tag in eastern CO. Couldn't find a mature muley. Quite a few younger ones though. Seems like EHD took its toll.

Good to know… that is back up on the mountain. I’ll have to keep it next time
You count three teeth back from the front, look at the fourth molar...that will get you the age from 3-7 years old...then look at the last tooth and that will narrow it down from 2-4, then beyond that you look at the height of the molars above the gumline, and it will get you 7+...after seven it is pretty much an objective guess. The only completely accurate way to age a deer with teeth, is to cut a cross section...they have growth rings like a tree. Also, you have to look at both bottom jaws and average the estimated age from them.

You count three teeth back from the front, look at the fourth molar...that will get you the age from 3-7 years old...then look at the last tooth and that will narrow it down from 2-4, then beyond that you look at the height of the molars above the gumline, and it will get you 7+...after seven it is pretty much an objective guess. The only completely accurate way to age a deer with teeth, is to cut a cross section...they have growth rings like a tree. Also, you have to look at both bottom jaws and average the estimated age from them.
Great information, I figured his body size and the how worn the top molars were, a good indication. I keep lower jaw next time. He had a good frame on him which is why he got the nod, instead of the very symmetrical yet spindly buck he was competing against

Great information, I figured his body size and the how worn the top molars were, a good indication. I keep lower jaw next time. He had a good frame on him which is why he got the nod, instead of the very symmetrical yet spindly buck he was competing against
I shot a 4.5 year old buck one year that had the largest body of any deer I've ever taken. My butcher told me the carcass was 187lbs after aging 15 days, so he said that back was likely over 350lbs. The next year in the same area, I shot another 4.5 year old buck that was probably less than 170 on the hoof. The teeth are the only way to tell.

Another year of tag soup for me, third year in a row. Did see several young bucks, but nothing that tempted me, especially after last year's tough winter. Hopefully 2024 will be the year I find a good one. Congratulation's to all did well in 2023.

I have not scored him. No mass but he was tall and the deep forks put me over the edge. Mid 160 something if I had to guess
I accidentally passed on a buck like that this year… lol thought there was 1 big buck in the group I had glassed up and moved in on. It was a bit of a rut fest and, ended up shooting a larger bodied buck, with a little bigger frame but almost no forks… then I see the super deep forked buck step out 🤦‍♂️

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom