Lets get a Pool Going

30inchbuck

OK. My estimate is 10.

Yup at least 10 posts will start appearing starting on the 10th of June. Saying - just drew this tag - never been there - no time to scout - just want starting points - not your honey holes.

Hey 30inchbuck,
Man im super busy this summer and I just dont have time to get out there and scout. Can you point me in the right direction to your hunnyholes or better yet can you just go fill my tag and bring me the rack. Make sure its big though cuz thats all I really want !

SUPER

Not me!!I'm driving from Florida this weekend to scout some place I might never draw, but gotta be back Monday night.
yeah, right - I predict I will be one of the first ones to ask those questions you mentioned, dont like it? dont read it!!
the only pool I'll be in is in my back yard.

Just a place to start! Where to camp or any stores around?
Ha ha, good one, LOL.

Best way to handle that is not respond if you do not want to help.

Personally, I have tried to help a lot of folks and I have had people help me in other areas.

I know that if I tracked it I have helped a whole bunch more than I have asked for, but, I do not mind helping others out.

I have met some really good folks and I have been burned as well. One guy I helped in later years went and got his NM guiding license and charged other people to hunt spots I showed him. They killed 3 bulls in an area (in less than a square half mile) I brought him into last year, used my butcher shop, my walk in cooler. Needless to say once I found out one of his "friends" was paying him as a guide I called him on it and I will not communicate with him again. What he did was not against the law, but, I considered it chicken sh!t.

I have also met some really good people and their friendship is worth 10x the disappointment I had with my few bad experiences.

My point is, that there are posts like this every year as well. If you do not want to help a newbie then don't. No reason to call them out on it or try to embarrass. If no one helps them their post falls off the edge of the world like all posts do eventually. However, I hope you are being morally honest and not asking others for help in hunting or in other things besides and expecting it.

I have a friend in WY that I am praying will some day draw a tag in NM so I can help him since he generously helped me on 2 antelope hunts and a elk hunt in WY. He has turned into a good friend and I badly want to repay him for what he has done for me and my family. So when someone comes along and needs help in a unit that I am familiar with I have tried to help in most cases.

Sorry for the long post, I just hate to see us look like a bunch of snobs in this forum.

We are just joking! We all know Stinky is going to tell them what they want to know. Just relax a bit.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 01:05PM (MST)[p]>We are just joking! We all
>know Stinky is going to
>tell them what they want
>to know. Just relax a
>bit.

Perfect. That is the plan. We defer anyone asking for help to Stinky.

Generic post should say.

There is a guy on the NM forum that goes by stinkystomper, that is very familiar with that unit and takes some great animals out of there every year. PM him. I am sure he will take you out there. He also makes a great tuna fish, broccoli and raw egg smoothie.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]I have help MANY people here on this site. I will continue to help people, but I think the pool idea is kinda funny.
This DIY push does crack me up though. It really is funny how many DIY's are only DIYs in the photo's and the mag articles. Not many ever mention all the "extra" help they recieved from the hunting community, wether guides giving info, E-scouting, or talking to people around town, they like the title DIY.

I will still help anyone out that I can, but the pool is still funny. Just relax guy's, don't take offense to it. I am going to say 7.

>LAST EDITED ON May-27-10
>AT 12:26?PM (MST)

>
>I have help MANY people here
>on this site. I will
>continue to help people, but
>I think the pool idea
>is kinda funny.
>This DIY push does crack me
>up though. It really is
>funny how many DIY's are
>only DIYs in the photo's
>and the mag articles. Not
>many ever mention all the
>"extra" help they recieved from
>the hunting community, wether guides
>giving info, E-scouting, or talking
>to people around town, they
>like the title DIY.
>
>I will still help anyone out
>that I can, but the
>pool is still funny. Just
>relax guy's, don't take offense
>to it. I am going
>to say 7.

I think 7 is way low. At least 15. I call 15 no one else can have it. What do we we win?? Free hunting trip with Elkman??
I think the pool idea is funny as well, just hate to see it turn into a Newbie bashing.

I've helped people and have recieved help. If you want to give somebody a good spot to hunt, please do so in a pm.
I helped a guy out on an ibex hunt. Even burned videos and sent them to him on my own dime. I couldn't even talk the guy into sending me a photo of the successful hunt after it was done.

>I've helped people and have recieved
>help. If you want
>to give somebody a good
>spot to hunt, please do
>so in a pm.
>I helped a guy out on
>an ibex hunt. Even
>burned videos and sent them
>to him on my own
>dime. I couldn't even
>talk the guy into sending
>me a photo of the
>successful hunt after it was
>done.

Can I get GPS coordinates also? I don't have a lot of time to scout.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 01:54PM (MST)[p]Do you want them posted here, or sent in a pm? ;-)

OH - and I say 4 first time posters a day after the draw.

NMPaul you are the sh!t. I am also one to help a brother out with any info I have on a particular unit especially if I didnt draw out but it always comes back in the end. Maybe they will let me tag along on there hunt! I think that if you are unfamiliar with an area or have decided to switch units from past areas its always good to have someone help you out. Return the favor people Return the favor!

Good man Paul.
I hope I'm one of those dudes you guys are laughin at.
I have my kid in for New Mexico elk & deer jr. hunts (the last year he is eligible).
I've applied for New Mexico's most difficult draws for years with no luck.
As nonresidents who try to hunt as many states as possible, you are inevitably going to draw in a place you have never been before.
Thankfully there are good folks that offer to help sometimes.
Most times that repayment comes back with interest.
I've enjoyed contributing to MM for many years.
I offer advice or help in PM's when I can.
I hope someone can lend a hand if my son gets lucky & draws what could be the tag of his lifetime.
I'd be more than happy to return the favor if I can.
HH

LAST EDITED ON May-27-10 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]Good one folks...I'll help those that help themselves.I got alot of help from some when I was a Non-resident and even developed lifelong friendships.But I knew the units at least.And will help some myself if I can in my area.But no-one gets my honeyholes...just saw a bunch of cows,and 2 bulls moving my way this morn...at least 12 paul.What do I win?

let me just solve all the battles right here. right now. from mayhill head due south on the blacktop. about 6 miles or so down it u wanna turn left at the weed/pinon turnoff. go up over denny hill and a few mile after u top out turn right on the weed highway. go past the weed turn off about 1/2 mile west and hunt about 1/4 mile off the north side of the road for a stretch of about 1 mile along the road in either direction. im sure u will find plenty of targets to shoot at/up in there.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Stinky, are you hunting goats again?? The white and brown ones??

Josh, no Turkey love here. While you guys were trying to decide what type of broadhead to kill your next bird with, I was striking out with a shot gun. I hope I remember NOT to buy a turkey tag next year.

I try and remember that at some point you didn't know the unit you are hunting now(unless you was born with this knowledge), To learn a unit you have to start somewhere and some time, If I know the unit I will get you some starting points and you can then find your own honeyholes.

I do know alot of times a 1st time poster will never hunt the places I tell him because it involve getting off the roads and going into the trees,the few that do go to those spots are willing to hunt to find game they just need a starting point.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Wasn't meant to be bash on those guys. I just wanted a fun pool.

I have helped several guys out as well. But the guys with 1 or 2 post I usually dont respond.

Think will just point them into the darkest meanest canyon in the unit.

HH, I don't think you'll have any trouble getting help from all of us here. You've contributed a lot, and I think we all know you would help us in the same situation. It's the "one-post wonders" that show up the day after the draw that make me laugh. The never seem to ever post again. It's probably the same bunch of guys that re-register every year.

I remember a few years back a guy drew an ibex tag and was wanting somebody to post a picture of one because he didn't know what they looked like. Classic.

Quote:
Think will just point them into the darkest meanest canyon in the unit.

True story...
A buddy was hunting muleys in western Colorado one year.
He killed a nice 180+ class four point, his partner had not filled his tag yet.
They needed fuel for their pickup, so they headed back into town to refuel.
My friend had the rack of his buck in the back of the pickup with the tines sticking up when the gas station attendant who had the same tag noticed the nice buck.
The attendant asked the guys where they were hunting so he could hunt the next couple days which he had off.
My friend's partner pointed to a nasty Hell Hole across the valley and said "up in that basin over there".
"It's a horrible hike in , but you will see some good bucks".
Knowing they had given the poor guy bad info they rolled out of town in the opposite direction than what they had told the lowly gas jockey.

Well after five more days of hard hunting my friend pal shoots a decent buck and they pack up camp.
They load everything in the truck and head into town to top off the tank and grab a bite to eat.
As they pull into the local service station that guy that asked for directions as to where they were hunting comes running out thanking them to no end.
He runs out to his Blazer and pulls out the most horrendous 34" 200" class monster muley rack they had ever seen.
The gas guy again thank the guys for sending him up into the Hell Hole where he shot the monster buck.
My friends looked at each other with blank looks on their faces.
Karma is a funny thing.
HH.

well im changin this year. i just realized i started elk hunting that unit back in the 80's with my father when killing a calf was a feat. now the elk are everywhere and i know every single dark hole up there. ive only got 2 more big bulls left up there. a 380 hopefully and little goofy who was 350 ish last year as a 5yr old bull. little goofy has my name on him next year. my realization was that ive hunted this unit from the inception of its elk herd almost. that makes me superior to everyone else and meaans i own those mountains right? so with that being said ive never personally hunted elk on that unit and why should i help someone else out when i cant even hunt it. i say go get your own 25 years worth of experience and u figure that crap out. i figure if im 6'4" 280 lbs and for some reason seem to scare the piss outa everyone who sees me i better start acting like a jerk. so this year im gonna be jerkstomper. im gonna hunt pauls goats, rape his dogs and ride off on his wife and give this same sorta attitude to every friggin nonresident i see. im gonna keep bulkin up. i figure a 550 lb bench press is alright and just need a few more months to reach my 215lb barbell curl. that means this aerogant resident is gonna put the hurtin on some nr's.......... rofl lighten up guys its all good. nr's are hunters too and I'll be danged if that 380 is walkin this year. i will come tell u his pattern paul if u, ur wife or kids get a tag but thats it. as for little goofy goes im gonna take him next year for myself if he lives. i really do think its funny though how nm guys are bsically nice to nr's but if u go to utah holy crap! their not near as friendly and they do talk to nr's just like i just did. lets all do the right thing and just continue to have a little understanding. just my two.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

quote "im gonna hunt pauls goats, rape his dogs and ride off on his wife and give this same sorta attitude to every friggin nonresident i see."

I wont miss my goats, my dogs might like it, and my wife tells me she likes fat guys like me.

Sounds like you need to buy a unit 34 rifle bull tag. I can show you where a bunch of 280 bulls are.

I'm with NMPaul on this one. It's all 'bout the Karma baby!!!
gimme a hug.......big guy.
Where's the love 3-inch buck ?

LOL
Now I wish I had put in for that unit.

The New Mexico forum on MM is the best by far and Paul really is a stand-up guy. I had a Unit 34 tag for the (NR) mobility-impaired season a few years back and Paul gave me some good intel for starting. I didn't go to his spots as I was on a nice 6 X 6 herd bull opening morning which I let walk and later regretted it, but he offered his help all the same. I just figured I had my chance and didn't want to pressure any of Paul's areas. It was my first and only (so far) elk hunt anywhere. I have secured a Unit 34 bull tag for the MI season this year in case I don't draw but have a surgery coming up that may interfere with my plans. You NM boys are the best! Maybe I will run into some of you in the hills this fall. Good luck to all.

This is the age of Obama... If you got it you have to share it with those less fortunate. Just ask 440...

Let me explain last years situation and make a disclaimer before this years seasons start. I guided a kid from Idaho who killed a decent 6x6 and then asked if I could help pack it out. It ended up that I was asked to take out all four quarters and the backstraps since I was still able to walk with such ease after straping on the hindquarters. By the time I reached the truck I had to call for the life flight from the local hospital to come pick me up and put me back together.

So for this year I will help where I can and I WILL NOT be packing any animals out. Once their dead you figure it out cuz stinky's gone. I'll help with the fun stuff but I won't participate in any work so DON'T ASK! lol

SOOOOOOO How much money is in the pool so far, I am interested in my odds. Oh by the way In need some help on a few units. You can PM me the info...Thanks LMFAO!!! This shiz is good!!!

Well, I mean while everyone is here let me say that I did
put in for unit 27,23,31 deer and 37,36,34 MZ bull, if anyone
wants to help a guy out. I predict 31 deer and 37 MZ Bull.
I also drew a RC/oryx tag and probably will also get a Barby tag
(not 30). I aint ashamed, tell me all you know, lay it on me!!!!!!!!Oh, i forgot the antelope, it's the september 11-12 one.

Hey, so I'm following this thread, but you guys are yet to post up a nice map with a big X with your secret spots. Please do so immediately. I'd like to know where the biggest bulls are located, but only the ones on flat ground since I cant go high on account of my asthma, my bad knees and flat feet! ;) ps - I understand completely about people who want all your intel but wont work for anything. I have years of time spent crawling through briar patches here to find the best grouse spots. And although I'll never tell my best coverts, I don't mind helping out a guy with general information on how to get started. Good luck all, I hope you draw!

I was that person last year and my nephew's youth elk hunt was better because of the help and advice provided by many of you.

Stinky - you packed the Idaho kid's elk out for him?

If we are lucky enough to draw again this year I will be ASKING again. I think people were more wililng to help since it was a youth tag. If I ever draw a tag, I will start off 'Hi I am nine years old and have no parents, but I did draw a 16A rifle tag for 2010..."

Not sure if I'm going to get chewed up and spit out in little pieces or not, but I'll put my toes in the POOL to see if any sharks are in the water. As my son and I struck out in drawing tags from other states, we decided to try New Mexico. I drove across the state once coming home on leave while in the military and my son has stood at the four corners site once! We drew the nonresident third rifle hunt (Nov 6-10) in GMU 2B. We will be studying maps and talking to the usual folks and anyone else that will talk with us, to learn as much as we can, but I don't believe in reinventing the wheel unless we have to, so I thought I would see if anyone here has any suggestions. Don?t mean to offend anyone by my being ignorant to this hunting area, but would be very grateful for any input from those who have been there before or are familiar with the area. Thanks for any help or info you may wish to share with us, and good luck on your hunts.

Greg and Brian

Wow well I guess thanks to some of you who are willing to talk to the newbies. kinda ironic I read this thread right after my first post. YIKES!!! Good luck everyone!!
P.S. how bout those gps coordinates??? J/K

Here's how you do it....

get a map
pick a road and drive on it until you get a fuzzy feeling
stop the truck
pitch a tent
grab your gear
and go hunt

That's a starting point for ya! Heck that's six starting points!

I got a unit 10 tag. Where are the hot spots. LOL
I mean the ones beside in Gallup or Grant, Wait a minute sent me a few of those too.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom