Let's kill time

iccyman001

I'm a numbers guy (data) and a story guy so let's make this weird.

Part 1 - How many years have you been applying to NM and how many tags have you drawn? I'm interested in seeing the overall numbers for people short, medium, and long term appliers.

Part 2 - Tell us about your favorite NM hunt.

I've applied in NM from 2014 until current. Excluding this year's pending results I've drawn: 6 elk tags, 2 antelope tags, 2 oryx tags, and 4 deer tags.

edit: also bought 2 UW cow tags and was given an additional antelope tag. Also two left over deer tags.

As far as picking my favorite hunt that is super hard to narrow down, but I'll probably go with my 2017 northern NM elk hunt. It was early archery and for whatever reason that morning that I killed my bull a little cold snap had the bulls bugling like crazy. I was listening into one drainage and could count 7 different bulls (possibly a few more) talking to/at each other all morning.

There was one who would not stop bugling from the same location so I decided to drop in after him and make a move. After 90 minutes of finding the right winds/thermals, getting level with him, and sneaking in on him in his bed (barefoot) to 40 years; I waiting until he stood up and double lunged him.

He had this cool little magical grass bowl that I now call narnia where he was posted up just relaxing and carrying on. If he wasnt such a loud mouthed joker he would have probably survivied that day.

Last edited:
My wife and I both drew Oryx in the same year, same hunt, non-residents, the first time we applied, in 2001 IIRC. The odds of that were astronomical. Kinda bad luck really. Because of 9/11 they cut the hunt to 1 day. She didn't get one. Then a few years ago, I decided to apply for broken horn. She drew again that year and killed as good of a broken horn oryx as is possible. The next year one of my kids was old enough to apply. He drew a broken horn tag. I'm afraid I've used all my luck in NM, but I'm hoping. We only apply for Oryx and elk.

I've been applying here as a resident consistently since 2002

I've drawn:

5 elk tags
3 deer tags
2 antelope tags
3 Barbary tags
3 Javelina tags
3 Ibex tags
1 DBH Ram tag

I've also bought 5 elk tags and 3 antelope tags

The best hunts have been VV Elk, archery ibex at the peak of the population, and BHS. Killing a Gila archery bull with 3 generations (including 4 kids under 10) in the blind with me was pretty high on that list too!

Have been applying since the 90’s. Have drawn several elk tags, 6 I believe(mostly cow), and quite a few deer tags. Have never drawn oryx, Antelope or anything else. My favorite hunt was last year with my son. He drew the bosque Turkey hunt (only hunt we drew as a family). That place is magical for Turkey. Have had elk hunts were boggling like crazy, but not so many of the Turkey hunts. That’s what made it special.

been applying since I was 9. so about 35 years now.

3 bull elk tags early
1 bull elk tag late muzzy
1 bull elk tag early muzzy
1 bull elk tag drawn with prefrence points, during the first and last year NM did that in 1997.
drew 3 barbary tags
drew 1 antelope
drew 2 deer tags

so in 35 years 6 elk, 3 barbary, 2 deer, 1 antelope.

I've applied now 8 years in a row, mainly for elk. 0 for 8. Ha! I am swinging for the moon on some of the units i'm applying for, but I am in the outfitter pool, just hasn't helped quite yet.. maybe this year :sneaky:

been applying since I was 9. so about 35 years now.

3 bull elk tags early
1 bull elk tag late muzzy
1 bull elk tag early muzzy
1 bull elk tag drawn with prefrence points, during the first and last year NM did that in 1997.
drew 3 barbary tags
drew 1 antelope
drew 2 deer tags

so in 35 years 6 elk, 3 barbary, 2 deer, 1 antelope.
I just learned something new - I never knew NM did a preference points.

I'm a lifelong resident, so been applying here since I was old enough to hunt big game, right around 30 years. Deer was OTC some of those years, so still would hunt deer every year if I didn't draw a special tag. I've drawn:

9 Elk tags
16 Deer tags (also have bought 2 leftover tags)
6 pronghorn tags
9 Barbary tags
3 Oryx tags
3 Javelina (do OTC units now)
1 F-IM Ibex tag
1 Ewe Bighorn tag

Too many favorite hunts to choose. My VV elk hunt was awesome, screaming bulls all day. My Gila bull hunt was awesome after making a really long stalk and killing my biggest bull, my first Coues buck after trying to get one in NM for like 8 years. Me and my Dad drew bighorn ewe the same year, both got one and was very special trip.

Some of my most memorable were unsuccessful. Had a bull elk in 52, hunted 5 days for the same bull bugling everyday, but just never could get a shot in the thick timber. Had a great muzzy pronghorn tag where I passed up lots of great pronghorn tying to get 1 of the 3 B&C bucks we saw, but never could get a shot. Ended up taking a small buck in the last hours of the day.

I could go on and on. :)

Great topic!

I am a resident and have applied every year since 2002
1 bull
1 cow
3 deer
1 barbary
2 oryx
I feel like my numbers should be higher lol. The oryx barbary and 1 deer tag have happened since 2020

I have been applying as an NR since maybe 2000, I have drawn the Oryx tag in 2008, the Antelope tag in 2016, and most importantly a big horn sheep in 2023!
my son drew 3 Jr buck tags also

This is my fourth year applying as a NR. I've only applied for archery elk. I drew a tag last year and had a great hunt. At 59, I've probably used up my lifetime supply of luck but I'll keep trying anyway. :) I don't swing for the fences with all three choices, I'm just trying to get on base with choices 2 and 3.

I've thought about applying for deer at some point but it's just too much to try to manage as a working stiff who lives 1600 miles away. Once I retire I might start throwing in for some deer and other tags, although I'm really not interested in any of the "exotics".

Last edited:
Non Res. Been applying since late 90’s.
4 deer
3 archery elk
Gila bow rut hunts by far the best.
Draw odds are low for non res but those successful past hunts still have me applying. New Mexico produces great bulls from my experience. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico. My top 3 for big bulls.

Last edited:
I have been apply as a NR for the last 5 or 6 years now and I apply for everything up until this year and have never drawn anything, hopefully up until this year.

Been applying since 2020 as a nr. Drawn 2 deer tags, successful on one of them. A kind person on this forum contributed greatly to that success.

Started applying in 2004 when I was in middle school. On and off applying throughout high school and college and then moved to Colorado and wasn't as consistent in putting in for hunts

Oryx - 3 (1 OIL, 2 off-range with one being a nonresident)
Deer - 6 (2 nonresident)
Bull Elk - 1
Cow Elk - 1

NR Apps from 2007-2020 for everything minis javelina and nothing.

Resident 2021-22
2 bull elk and 2 deer. Wife with oryx. All hunts were awesome.

NR again 2022, 1 deer hunt.

Applied since 2005 nr
zero drawn, but it’s my own fault
i only put for the best.

also glad they don’t have points

14 years total, 0/14 Oryx. Even as a military member.

1 elk tag 16/e 1 mcgregor FAD drawn

Bought a few LO but nothing panned out.

6 years NR

2 oryx
1 elk

All three hunts were incredible. But the Best hunt of the three was the 9 days my dad and I spent learning how to hunt off range oryx. We saw 1 animal every other day. Just enough to keep us going. Finally got on one. He popped up in a spot I was not expecting and I missed the shot free hand with a single shot rifle. He ran 50 yards and stopped at 275 and looked back and gave me one more free hand chance in the tall brush. Ended up with 34” bull.

0EC0E311-69D5-4F7E-A6BD-2A08158ECA65.jpeg

As a resident I’ve put in for deer since 2004 and elk since 2010 drawn deer most years and elk 6 times. Barbary once out of 7 years. Been applying for ibex, oryx, antelope for 7 years and nothing.

Farthest back I can remember is 1990 as far as draws go. Moved away for three years in the mid 90's:

3 oryx; OIL and 2 off range.
4 deer; really only since 2000 though.
2 Turkey; only in Unit 2.
12 Elk; a mix of rifle, muzzy, and bow.
1 Javalina
0 Bear
0 Barbary
0 Bighorn
0 Antelope
0 Ibex

Can't really place a favorite. Caldera and VV are a tie for elk. This past off range in Jan for oryx.

Edit: 13 elk. Drew a cow elk in 1986 on a WMA.

Edit Edit: 15 elk. Remembered 2 more archery.

Edit Edit Edit: 10 landowner elk tags and 3 OTC (private land) oryx.

Last edited:
As a NR I have hunted NM off and on for 40 years or so. First hunted for mulies in unit 34 with an OTC muzzy tag. Started applying for bull elk tags in mid 90’s. Have drawn unit 52 rifle twice, unit 51 rifle once, unit 34 rifle once and unit 6A rifle once. It has been 10 or so years since my last NM bull elk tag. Sure would like to be successful this year, getting a little long in the tooth for chasing bulls.

I think I started in 2006 or 2007, NR the whole time. NM has been very good to me up until the quota changes.

-muzzy ibex tag
-oryx tag (mcgregor but was active duty at time)
-Barbary once
-Unit 15 muzzy elk
-Unit 13 archery elk
-Unit 13 deer
-Unit 17 antelope

Haven’t drawn anything for about 5-6 years though and have set my sights lower and lower. The odds on what I have drawn have all gone up 5-10 fold since they changed the NR allocations and the YouTube application craze started rolling.

Moved here in '83, started hunting in '84, mostly deer OTC mzl. Think I had about 15 years OTC before deer went to a draw

For NM drawings
Deer - 11 tags, mostly mzl, a few bow or rifle
Elk-24 tags, mostly mzl but more lately bow.
. A few cow tags but mostly bull or ES
Oryx-8 tags (1 OIL, 2 depreciation, 5 offrange)
Antelope-9 tags, mostly mzl but a couple bow, 1 rifle
1 Ibex bow tag
1 Barbary rifle tag

Also bought a few elk landowner tags over the years.

My favorite hunt was actually taking my granddaughter on her first hunt, which was an elk hunt in Colorado where she scored the first morning, she was sooooo excited!!

I started applying in 06' as a NR. Drew 16D third archery in 07' and haven't drawn a thing since. I apply for every species most years and with an outfitter for the last 5 years.

Moved to NM from Japan in 2000 and I remember both deer and barbary being OTC for the first few years, which I took full advantage of (took me a couple years to figure out what a barbary was). Had a low-demand elk unit figured out where me and a buddy could count on drawing that tag every year for about six years (those days are long gone now). I'm just guessing but I've probably drawn about 12 - 15 deer tags, 12 - 15 bull tags, 7 - 8 barbary tags, 3 oryx (Rhodes OIL, McG, and Off-range). two antelope, one Marquez turkey, and one DBH ram (the DBH started me off on a whole other quest that I'd never considered before). NM has been very good to me.

So many good memories I don't know how to rank them. But the ones I think about the most are the ones where I had to pack a harvest several miles, including a 355" bull that was about ten miles in. That one took me three round trips in four days to pack out, and I swore off elk hunting for at least five months after that (or at least until it was time to apply again the next year). I'm now a lot more hesitant to pull the trigger on an elk.

I also think quite a lot about the ones that got away, including a black bear at 10 - 15 feet that had a beach ball sized head, standing on it's hind legs to look down at me and a friend (I was helping on his elk hunt). We smelled the dead cow elk he was feeding on before we saw him. I had a bear tag in my wallet, and a Judge on my hip, but I'd incorrectly assumed that 16 had already reached its quota, and we let that thing just turn around and slowly walk out of our lives. I still have dreams about that one...

I viola never forget my first year applying. I drove out to NM from Utah two days after 9/11. I have put in almost every year since and have draw one deer tag and one additional elk tag. However, I put in for primo tags. I have been very happy with my luck but would really appreciate an elk tag for my son this year.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom