Lets talk archery deer strategy

UtahMountainMan

OK guys we only have about 9 or 10 weeks until archery season starts.

I have now been bowhunting for 7 years for deer and elk. I have killed 4 bucks, 3 small ones and one mature, and a few spikes and cows. I feel like I have a pretty good idea when/where/how to hunt elk as far as morning vs evening water.

I feel like I have wasted a lot of hunting days going after deer though. What I mean by that is, for instance, my first few years I found some gorgeous alpine meadows surrounded by timber. I would sit those in my tree stand morning and evening. I probably sat there for literally 14 to 20 days and never saw a buck. Did see a few does.

I would see little bucks while I was driving to the area to park.

I have found that it is very, very, very difficult to pattern mule deer bucks. At least where I hunt on the Manti unit in Utah it has been tough.

I have also learned that it is a complete waste of time sitting and waiting for a buck to walk within 50 yards UNLESS you are sitting on the right spot. But even then, mule deer roam and roam and I have found it difficult to find a buck that used the same routes.

So I am looking for opinions on your Morning vs Afternoon vs Evening approach to hunting bucks.

My rough plan this year is to be out on a glassing point in the dark and try to spot and stalk in the morning. I havent done much of this but I am excited to try. My CONCERN with this approach is that I am not hunting completely open sage country, there is a lot of timber and thick cover so I wont usually be able to see bucks bed down.

How do you guys get over this issue? Hunt a more open spot? Or get closer to the timber?

In the evening I will probably try to sit high up on the edge of timber ESPECIALLY if I saw a buck go in there to bed during the day. I am hoping to try to catch them up high feeding in the evening and not have to move much to get into a shot.

I actually enjoy hunting out of a treestand but I just dont feel like it gives me the best ODDS to hunt mule deer since they roam and dont follow travel corridors into a corn field like like whitetails do in the midwest.

My experience has been that tree stands dont give me the best odds of killing a mature mule deer.

Anyone else agree or disagree with that statement?

Lets hear your guys thoughts on my post, feedback, agree/disagree, and what your approach is out here in the Rocky Mountains to go after mature mule deer bucks.
"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

I echo all of your thoughts. I've hunted some pine and aspen country as well mostly and the spot and stalk is so tough because I lose them in the trees before they bed.
But yeah, trying to find a spot and wait for them is a guessing game.
My best luck though has been finding their most common trail in the area and finding a good spot by with the wind in my face depending on morning or night. And see what random deer I get.

But I suck so far, so I'd take any advice I can get. Spot and stalk is always advertised as best method, so I'm going to keep at it and find success from those who have proof that it is the best odds.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

My personal strategy is to hunt the most open terrain I can find. Some deer will seek quaky patch cover everyday, others won't. I've found that I can usually kill a mature buck fairly quickly (two to five days of hunting) using the open country strategy. Glass every morning in an attempt to bed a solid buck. Keep your eyes on him until about 10 or 11 AM, when the updrafts are in your favor either come at him from the side or preferably from above. If you have a good wind and you're say 30 yards from your deer, wait him out, in an hour or two he will likely stand either to switch positions or relieve himself, that's your opportunity. Glassing in the evening is also very productive, it give you the opportunity to find deer so you know where to look for them in the morning.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-12 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]Good information to hear for an East coast guy looking to make my first trip for muleys. I have a lot to learn and would have to add that I also haven't had success hunting elk from tree stands either. This spot and stalk is going to be a huge learning curve.

I am going to b hunting above tree line, is there any magical elevation in the early season or is it "they are where they are"?

Josh

how often does a big muley have to water? I have hunted water holes many times with numerous elk, bear, does, and other critters comeing in for a drink but never have had a mature muley come to drink. This year is so hot and dry water could pay off.

my experiences...most mature buck will hit water holes every 3-4 days. all are differt. some make big loops to several water holes and may not be back to the same one for a week. vegitation plays a role. if they are getting moisture from the plants they are eating then they water far less.
alot do not come into big water holes, they will drink from very small streams, or small puddles etc.

tree stand hunting muleys can be very effective, if you learn the area and learn what they do when the pressure turns on you can find the main travel routes and set up on them.
in thick mountain country i "still" hunt. i nock an arrow and creep real slow through the trees. keep a sharp eye and stop regularly and look for a few seconds. you usaully dont get long to shoot its draw and shoot, usually not much time to size up either but quick glances give you a fair idea and it works, thats my favorite way to hunt thick high country that cnt be glassed.dont need binos or range finder for this type. usually you get a fast second to look draw and shoot, then they are long gone.

Thanks theox I have had good success still hunting for elk. I probably will give it a try this year since i drew a buck tag. I will be hunting 12,ooo plus ft.

i've also found deer to not be very water hole friendly especially on public land. They move from water hole to water hole usually at night.

The best option is to be mobile imho. You cant kill a mature buck if it isn't going to come in. Time is on there side! Cover ground and move in for the kill when its presented. With this style of hunting your shooting skills will be an asset. Also you simply need hunting days or time on your side. The more time you can put on the hill the more your odds will go up when it comes to deer.

I am going against the grain here, but I have had excellent success Ambushing muleys from elevated stands. You do need to have spent enough time scouting to find a stand location that will be productive. You also have to remain positive that your time in the stand will pay off or you will not have the confidence to stick it out. Early season muleys can be patterned effectively and hunting from a productive stand will give you a huge advantage over a bucks eyes, nose, and ears. If I was computer savvy I would post pictures of three P&Y bucks I managed to take in a three year span out of the same tree! Look for saddles on ridges, fence crossings, well used trails leading to and from food sources and other likely places that a buck will frequent and then hang a stand that gives you several shooting lanes. Scent control is still critcal as is stealth when approaching and climbing in to stand. Practice shooting from elevated stands too. It may not be quite as exciting as spot and stalk but if done correctly it is an excellent hunting strategy.

They will look for similar benefits for bedding, regardless if in the open or the timber. Watch in the edges of the timber around small openings.They will want to get up and have a snack during the day. If you are going to still hunt the timber, watch just under the edge of the ridge lines. Many will want the option of going up over the top or down into the thick stuff. Tops of draws and finger ridges are favorite bedding areas. Even in the timber, you want to spend more time glassing then moving. I kick more out with a glance at an ear, antler, or rump, then I ever get a chance for a decent shot. That tells you I move to quickly. Prothera posits in one of his books, that if the area is worth still hunting, it is worth still hunting slow enough to find the deer before it notices you. SLOW DOWN! If there are avalanche chutes, carefully hunt the timber along the edges. I would stay in 60 yards or so and slowly work down along the chute glassing toward the edges. Be sure to glass into the timber on the other side of the chute as well.

On a side note, I have stumbled across a number of big bucks while in a pocket of elk going at it during the rut. They seem less sensitive to noise with all the racket that the elk are making and will sometimes give you time for a shot. I've missed a couple of nice bucks in these circumstances... lol

As always watch the wind. You can't beat their sense of smell.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom