Leupold CDS

madmax88

I am planning on buying a new Leupold VX3-CDS 4.5x14 and a Double Bull blind from Cabelas. Does anyone have any experience with these products? Also, I would appreciate it if someone could PM me if they had a Cabelas Code they are not using. Thanks.

I have the 4.5-14 50mm Boone and crocket Reticle scope. I sent it off and had a CDS dial installed on it for $150.00. Its my understanding that you can send your scope off and have one installed, or buy the CDS dial in the purchase of some of their scopes. I Love the CDS dial, because your getting a custom dial to your set up. When I shipped my scopes off Leupold needed the following information(Bullet weight, Bullet speed, Ballistic Coefficient, hunting elevation, hunting temperature, distance from center of scope to your chamber center and yardage you want it zerod at) It will all be custom for your rifle. Its the bomb! I actually just had a CDS dial installed on my sons scope. Its my understanding that most Leupold scopes 5 years and newer will take a CDS dial, because once you do one, you will want all your Leupold scopes done!!!!

So?

You have to ship the CDS Scope Back to Leupold to have the Dial Installed?

Or can the average Joe install it?

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

The dial is extremely easy to install. They can be swapped very quickly. The only reason to ship a scope back to Leupold would be to have an older or non CDS scope converted to accept the CDS dials, although I have no idea what all that entails.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-11 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]I am having a frustrating experience with my CDS. I sent in for my free dial. When I received it it said 162gr NAB(Nosler Accubond on cap. It should have been 165NAB. I called them and they said they would send a new one out immediatly. After two week I called and the guy said he didn't know why but my dial had not been made yet. It did arrive about a week later. When I installed the dial I noticed the dial stop didn't work. The dial turns down below Zero. So another call resulted in me needing to send my entire scope in because the stop part that is on the scope was not installed. Two full months now and have not been able to use it yet. One thing I dislike about the dials is that the dials are generic dials that have hash marks all the way around. So the hash marks don't equal out to certain yards. Example there is 3 hash marks between 500 and 550. I would prefer to only have marks at the quarter marks 25,50,75

There are 2 options. If you have a newer Leupold scope thats not a CDS scope a scope thats 5 years or newer(talking to the Leupold rep), you just box it up and ship it to them in Beaverton Oregon. You will send them all the info I stated above earlier. It cost me about $20.00 to ship my scope in cluding insurance, plus the $150.00 for them to make the engraved dial Takes about 2 weeks once they receive your scope. Don't send any money, just your shipping and contact info along with the scope. Leupold will call you for your dedit/debit card info. If you have purchased a CDS scope you call them with all your info and they will engrave the dial and mail that out for you to install (you wont be shipping your scope). Installlation is a snap, just 3 small set screw on the dial. Once you have converted a non CDS scope over, you wont have to ship it off again, if you choose to have different loads for your rifle and another engraved dial is like $65.00.
You only get 1 revolution on the dial since its engraved with yardage marks. Because we are talking about MOA, you will have fewer marks between 200-300 yards, and alot more between 600-700 yards. My sons 308 has marks out to 575, my 300 win Mag has marks out to 800, both zeroed at 200. If I did a 100 yard zero, my scopes will not have settings on the dial out as far as they are now. I have been around quite a few people with different zeroing points on their dials. A 100 yard zero your able to really zero your rifles vertical trajectory, but your gonna lose some distance on the dial setting. It will become your preference.
Bragabit sorry to hear about the problems your having, they did mess up on your scope, I am wondering if your info was conveyed over the phone. That too bad, I could not be happier.

Just for comparison purposes, I believe my 7mm Weatherby has marks out to 800 with a 100 yard zero on both of my dials. I will double check later. When you order them if the rep you're working with is cool they will look up the range you will have on the dial at certain zeros. They aren't supposed to do it though so the rep might tell you they can't do it.

If I was going to get one I'd buy the VX-3 with the Varmint Hunter Reticle. The VHR is made for small targets which helps for long range shooting. This reticle fits most magnum rifles and it offers wind drift. If your only going to shoot out to 500 yards you really don't need the CDS dial. This is only my opinion now if they would offer the CDS dial for the 500 mark as zero and calibrate it to 1000 yards then from that respect it would be worth the extra money. In other words you would use the marks (VHR-BC) out to 500 yards. If it was past 500 yards use the 500 yard mark as your new zero and turn the CDS dial up to 600,700,800,900,1000 while holding at the 500 yard mark. Using this method there's a enough clicks in your scope to get you the 1000 mark if you want it.:D

quest

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]Lots of people making easy things difficult.

Go with straight moa or mil turrets...use any zero you want. Develop your drop chart with whatever intervals you want, dial the dope and rock on.

Forget the cluttered multiple cross-hair reticles, multiple pre-marked turret caps, etc.

Nothing easier then zeroing your rifle, turning your CUSTOM dial to the yardage you just ranged and pulling the trigger. If this is difficult to the masses out there, then I missed my true calling in life and I should be building rockets somewhere.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 07:45?PM (MST)

I have a feeling that a lot of these custom turrets are having problems. Inside 500 yards, I think most are "good enough" for big-game. Thing start to come apart from 500 and out.

For starters, I bet a lot of the information sent to leupold isnt accurate (muzzle velocity, BC, etc.) That alone will cause some serious problems. Fair to note that many bullet BC's are not as advertised.

How about adjusting for 7000 feet in elevation to 3000? How do you do that with a single pre-etched yardage turret?

How about if you want to change loads?

How about if you want to change bullets?

How about if you want to change your zero?

How about if you want to put the scope on a totally different rifle?

No thanks on the yardage turrets for me...I'll stick with MOA or mils.

I'll take a turret system that I can use on a variety of rifles with any zero, any bullet, any velocity, etc. that I want.

I agree with Buzz. I just had an elevation CDS made for my scope. I had it marked in MOA. With a ballistics program, I can tailor a drop chart for any variables I choose. I don't trust the yardage marked dials for all circumstances. Using MOA takes a bit of an understanding of ballistics, but it isn't really that tough. mtmuley

These guys have a few different formats.. some with yardage and MOA on the same turret ..

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The CDS is probably not for everyone. For someone who perhaps reads the back of a box of ammo to get his info might have some problems. I do realize elevation will play a factor depending on the size of the spread in elevation, just like the temperature will. It sounds like the MOA or mils works well for you, but it also sounds as tho you carry a good size book loaded with pages of info for your rifle (all the elevations, temps, loads ect) As for my set up, I could hand the rifle to anyone on this site, and let them bang away at stuff and they'd be surprised at how simple and accurate it is.
As for changing loads, bullets, zero and such, and even a different rifle, its like 60.00 for a new "custom" dial. I have shot 2 other rifles with a CDS before I got mine. I have not shot a bad one yet...............

Buzz, Haven't tried it yet. Waiting for a Bell & Carlson Medalist to show up, then I'll mount the scope and stock. LRB, I'm sure the yardage CDS works OK. I just chose not to be limited by a specific turret. And, in the event I may happen to take an extended yardage shot, I'd just as soon have real data on targets to feed a program, then adjust accordingly. mtmuley

Ballistics calculator gave me some very good reading on the elevation change and temperature changes that will effect your CDS dial going outside the range and elevation you had your dial made for. While the ballistic chart i played with may not be 100% correct, it should give us some ideas at how it does effect our trajectory.
I plugged in a 700 yard target for reference. I looked at temperatures ranging from 10 degrees to 90 degrees. I also looked up from 3000 feet elevation to 9000 feet in elevation. Knowing my rifles fell in the middles of both the temperature and elevation (which is a 80 degree temperature swing and 6000 feet change in elevation) I am still very happy, especially since I dont hunt those extreme temp and elevation changes. You play with the ballistic charts and decide for yourself.....

I like the dot system myself out to 1000 yards. I hunt the same area most of the time and use the same bullet combo. If I had to hunt a different area I would probably just change my sight its not that hard to do.

quest

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-11 AT 11:34AM (MST)[p]If you're believing pre-marked turrets and ballistic calculators over trigger time and whats really going on...you're in for a long, harsh learning experience.

I suspect some wildlife will likely be limping around on a flat tire or two as well...

Let me see dead deer at 762 yards with one shot another deer dead at 1000 yards one shot. Id say it works real good.

This isn't a "Which type of turret is better than the other one" situation. Use what you like. I like the flexibility of MOA on my turret. I feel that MOA is a more precise way of "twisting up" if you will. It's a comfort thing. And this is in now way disrespectful, but the yardage turrets take less understanding of ballistics to master. mtmuley

I agree with Buzz on this one. The CDS dials IMO could be good if the shooter has spent enough time gathering the data needed. I suspect many that order a CDS do not do this and thus the reason the CDS dial isnt exact on their own rifle.
LRB I have a few questions on the data you supplied to leupold. Please dont take this personal at all. I know the velocity,bullet weight and temp/ elevation are easily obtainable. What BC did you use? Did you shoot groups to 600-700 yards to verify the BC of your bullet/load combo? BC of a given bullet can be vastly different than what the manufacture states. I figure if this is done the CDS wouldn't be that bad of a choice. I for one have Leupold M1 turrets and love them. I can build my own drop charts and know exactly how many clicks for a given range. Also only takes me a few seconds to glance at my chart and turn my turrets.

I kinda am stuck on the main question of this thread. If anyone has ANY experience with a CDS? Not how it compares to a tactical scope. Not how good of a job the guy did setting up his weapon, Just if they have any experience in building one, using one ect. This was never a thread about what the best damn dial out there. I could not careless how a guy kills his animal at 1000 yards, but I can appreciate it. Quest, your the MAN! Awesome. But unfortunately, I doubt he is the only one to ever do it, nor will he be the last.
Now, as for dealing with Leupold on a CDS dial for my guns, and the 2 others I have been around, I do know this. Maybe the CDS dial is not the best thing on the planet, but, hypothetically, if you were hunting with someone using 1 of the 4 rifles I have personally been around, and you both spotted a buck at some good yardage. If you paused for a second, I'm betting you would be fixing to help someone pack out their animal. I am also betting you could compensate with the custom dial in any hunting situation as far as temperature and elevation goes. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-11 AT 10:12PM (MST)[p]I think you answered your own questions.

If you have an older scope go with the M1's and MOA...I had them installed on a scope I bought 15+ years ago.

If you arent sure call leupold, they know for sure.

It will work with anything you own...one price, one cap, and you're done.

I just dont see a clear advantage in the pre-marked turrets...in either ease of use, cost, or flexibility with loads, bullets, rifles, etc.

Glad you're liking and having success with your cds.

I like the dots. Its an easy set up for my rifle. CDS dials they are a good idea. I like the fact that you can have your scope on a different power setting to use them. You can order different dials too. I had a Redfield scope one time with a dial set up. The problem I had while caring my rifle in my hand trying to do a sneak the turret would turn up from rubbing against my pants. I missed a big buck because of that. My brother has the CDS set up and the dials feel tight. I don't see any problem with them. The biggest problem I see with long range shooting is judging the wind.

quest

Was just browsing around random posts, so I'm a little late to this party, but anyone interested in trying out a long range turret should give Ballistix Custom Turrets a try. We're now working with them out of our shop.

If you have a Vortex scope, they're pretty much giving turrets away. On the Vortex site it says that if you use the promo code VTX2020, you can get a free stick on turret label or $50 off any Vortex turret.Also says you can get 15% off with code SPRINGHASSPRUNG2020 on the Ballistix site.

CDS does work great but I’ve simply stayed with the MOA marking instead of limiting myself to yards, one load, one sight in range, one elevation, one temp range etc.

Buzz said “trigger time”, I wonder who shot over 100 rounds in the wind today from 100-900 yards?

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-11 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]Lots of people making easy things difficult.

Go with straight moa or mil turrets...use any zero you want. Develop your drop chart with whatever intervals you want, dial the dope and rock on.

Forget the cluttered multiple cross-hair reticles, multiple pre-marked turret caps, etc.

^^^ Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! Exactly what I do. MOA with a drop chart.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom