Light on Bow

4_Plesur

I've seen some guy's at the local Utah archery shops with a light on their bow they use to help see their pins while shooting.

Is it against the Utah law to use one, or even have one your bow while hunting?

I recently put one one and even during the daylight in the pines it's amazing how this helps see the pins.

it is completely legal.. I have one on my bow and it is a great tool... if you read the proclamation the only light that is illegal on a bow is a laser range finding device or magnification device... the light is just fine... if you care, some of the record books, like pope and young, will not allow an animal in their record books if a pin light was used.. but here in utah it is not illegal

Well, I called the DWR and after going around with the lady who answers the phone she transferred me to one of the law enforcement guys. The main question was does the light cast a ray?
In the proc it says:
a person may not use or cast the rays of any spotlight, headlight or other artificial light to locate protected wildlife while having in possession
a firearm or other weapon or device that could be used to take or injure protected wildlife; and
(b) the use of a spotlight or other artificial light in a field, woodland or forest where protected wildlife are generally found is prima facie evidence of attempting to locate protected wildlife.
(2) The provisions of this section do not apply to:
(a) the use of headlights or other artificial light in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate protected wildlife;

He came to the conclusion that as long as the light attached to the bow is not pointing forward and IS pointing down to the pins it should be ok to use.

It is legal, however, just a side note, Pope and Young will not accept any animal taken with any electronic device attached to bow including pin lites. If you don't care about records as many don't use it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom