Very Active Member
This article caught my eye today.

S.

:-(

Woman loses eye in mountain lion attack
advertisement

Associated Press
Jun. 28, 2004 10:25 AM

LOS ANGELES - A woman was attacked by a mountain lion while hiking in central California, but was rescued when her friends stabbed the animal with a knife and threw rocks at it, officials said.

Shannon Parker lost her right eye, was injured in her other eye and suffered deep lacerations to her right thigh during the attack Saturday, officials with the California Department of Fish and Game said.

Parker, 27, of Santa Monica, was transferred to UCLA Medical Center, where she underwent reconstructive surgery Sunday morning, Game and Fish spokesman Steve Martarano said.

Parker's family asked UCLA not to release her condition, hospital spokeswoman Rachel Shampeau said.

Authorities said Parker was hiking with three male friends about 20 miles north of Kernville when the 70-pound female lion attacked her as she walked alone back to her car, Martarano said.

Parker's boyfriend, Mathias Maciejewski, 28, stabbed the lion with a knife and Jason Quirino, 30, and Ben Aaron Marsh, 15, threw rocks at the animal until it ran off, Martarano said.

The lion left a bloody trail as it fled, and was later shot and killed by U.S. Forest Service officers and state game wardens, Martarano said.

The lion "appeared to be emaciated" and officials will do a necropsy Monday to determine whether it was sick or injured, Martarano said.

A 2002 wildfire in the area may have hampered the lion's ability to find enough food, he said.

"Before the fire, (the area) was considered moderate to good mountain lion and deer habitat. The fire changed everything," but the area had recently started to revive, Martarano said.

He said the incident was the 15th mountain lion attack on a human in California since 1890.

In January, a mountain lion killed a cyclist and mauled another near Los Angeles.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0628mountain-lion28-ON.html

Not sure but didn't California ban Lion Hunting?

Maybe this will change there liberal minds?

No I forget its CALIFORNIA.

Hey you northern boys in CA no offense. Just throw LA, San Fran. and immediate areas into the ocean. Then you could be a great state again.

Thanks for the post. My friends in south Florida are still fighting the Park Service and fish and game to get them to move the lion thats been at there place for almost a month now. I made a post here reguarding this "florida panther attack" but got little responce I forwarded the report to them to help aid in their fight to prevent this from happening to them. The following report in totally crazy. I can't belive what is happening down their way;

Frank F. Denninger to Everglades Echo Letter to editor or Opinion or short true story
date 6-27-04
?
?
Thanks to the Echo for its article on this ROGUE (mountain lion, cougar,panther or whatever) lurking the shadows as well as bgoldly
approaching vehicles with headlights on at the campground I frequent.
Now listen to this panther experience I had from Saturday night the 26 of June thru early Sunday morning.
Arriving at the campground about 10:00pm I stop at the entrance gate to inquire "what's up" as I noticed Roy Mcbride the FWC's
cougar trapper along
with his assistant and an FWC state game warden in a discussion. As I watch and listen
?
Roy Mcbride operate his electronic tracking equipment the warden asks Roy how far the lion is from the campground.He answers that its
hard to say but probably 3/4 mile to the Southeast. I asked a couple of questions about their plans tonight and was told that the warden
would stand guard all night as has become the norm for the past 1 or 2 weeks and if this troublsome ROGUE re-appeared the FWC trapper Roy
M. ( formerly a panther bounty hunter from Texas ) said he would return and play a cassete tape for the cat of hunting dogs running to
frighten this ROGUE away. Okay ? Three quarters of a mile is about a 15 minute walk for these Lions who's diet is known for a fact to
include humans as documented in Cali'f. The human body count there recently is 1-man dead,1-woman severly mauled and savaged. Here at
Trail Lakes the animal body count is around 25 the last I heard not including the stray cat the warden saw in this local cat's mouth
later on tonight. Thanks to the Echo for the photo of the true character of these true killing machines the "JAWS" of South Florida soon
to be heading to other states of the Southeastern U.S. For some reason this tape deal didn't totally reassure me.
Then I drive to my campsite and approach my trailer door in the dark alot more cautiously than ever before.Once I had the outside
lights on I breathed a sigh of relief. After that I shut off the inside lights to sleep leaving the outside lights on for SAFETY.
Awakening at 4:30am I went to my truck out front and noticed the warden truck with a spotlight scanning scanning about 30 yd's.
North of me. Around a minute later I heard very light rustling of bushes maybe 10 feet behind my camper. My pulse pounded instantly as my
eyes scanned the dense swamp intensley for the ROGUE. I didn't see this ROGUE but I felt his presence.Meanwhile the warden and his truck
had retreated 300 feet to the North and parked with parking lights on. I started to walk to the wardens truck to ask if he had seen the
ROGUE lion I believed that I had heard but decided to drive the 100 yards would be safer .
The warden said he had been watching the lion for about an hour and that the cougar had been bold enough to approach his vehicle
earlier even though the headlights were shining straight into his lethally intimidating eyes. Eventually this ROGUE returned to the swamp
shortly before I heard him.We chatted a bit more and then I decided to go cook breaksfast? After taking a few steps towards my site I
decided to return and ask the warden to call the expert Roy Mcbride to inquire of him if he thought it advisable to cook outside under
these threatening conditions. At 4:50 am the warden called him and Roy's confident reply was "go ahead and cook". Only slightly reassured
by this experts advise I returned to my campsite to begin cooking bacon and eggs outside on my little campstove.
A few minutes into cooking I almost jumped out of my own skin as I hear the whaling of a fog horn and siren very closeby accompanied
by warden Walter Mahoney's yelling at my next door neighbor "don't open thr door he's(the local ROGUE puma) is on your porch. I quit
cooking and go to the front of my site to see what's happening and as I clear the trailer I see the warden's truck with the spotlight
scanning from the neighbor's place to mine; then I freeze in my tracks as this very alert warden Walter Mahoney spots me and screams at me
"Frank look out he's right behind your camper". I instantly scan down Mahoney's beam of light in vain to see the ROGUE threatening
everyone in the campground but he was still out of sight. That was the most frightening part - the ROGUE'S stealth-.Retreating slowly and
carefully I eased back to the safety of my small camper. SO MUCH FOR COOKING OUTSIDE with this ROGUE bringing down the
neighberhood.
As promised earlier the FWC expert returned to play the dog hunting tape to the ROGUE lion . The tape sounded like a quiet fox hunt
to me.
In closing this report I just want to give a heartfelt thank you to the warden Walter Mahoney for his dilegent efforts that I believe
saved myself or my neighbor from a mauling or worse from the claws of this ROGUE panther,cougar,puma,mountain lion or whatever. This is
one state Game Warden,Walter Mahoney that deserves some kind of award or commendation for sure.

Lion hunting is banned in California and this is what we get. 3 lion attacks in 6 months, deer populations getting hammered, bighorns are getting hit real hard, certain populations that once were growing at a steady pace have all but dissapeared. Do you think the people here will open their eyes? Heck no!!! A few years ago a lady was killed by a lion, leaving her children without a mother, the cat ended up having kittens and these nut jobs out here set up a trust fund, FOR THE KITTENS!!! Forget about the kids without a mom, feel sorry for the cute little kitty cats. Bass ackwards freaking state!

I think they ought to prosecute the guy who stabbed that poor lion, I'm mean really, poor starving kitty.

\BeanMan

I live in CA. Please open season on lions!!!! We've tried. Maybe this will open some minds. I really would like a pelt on my wall, or floor. Kill 'em!!! B.

She is a beautiful young woman and grew up 20 miles from me. She lost one eye and her nose and is in for alot of work. These Ca. lions need to start eating politicians kids and we'll be able to make them scared of humans again. This is BS and will get worse before it gets better. I used to preach shoot, shovel and shut up, now it is shoot and tell them to shove it.

JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom