lion

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15 AT 01:45PM (MST)[p]About the only thing I can agree with them on is that the NMDGF seems to make decisions without sound scientific justification. Seems like they make a good number of decisions with less than ideal sicentific reason. If anything I think we need more lion hunting.

I will say that I don't think any hunter wants lions exterminated, but they do seem to be out of control in some areas. My "spot" down in 23 used to have a ton of deer and a lot of bucks just 8 years ago. Now it just has a bunch of skinny lions and a few REALLY fast deer.

I don't hunt lions, but I will whole heartedly suport those that do. I just wish the lion hunters would take out a few of the smaller ones. Seems to be a bunch of small ones down where I usd to deer hunt decimating the herd. At least that is my observation based on all the tracks I see.

If half retarded golden retivers made good lion dogs I would be hunting them myself....

I agree rabid1,way too many in 23 & where I am in 12.
Getting a tag next week,just saw one yesterday here.
I worked w/USFW trapper & DFG wardens in CA on controls for many years on problem cats. They cut out hunting and they are off the dial now and deer are just about wiped out.

Cats & poachers are deers worst nightmare now in NM,IMHO.
Time to add lion to the meal mix,good eating.

I could help you out with some of those skinny lions down there! The hard part is there are very few that hunt lions at any time other than winter. I have a few buddies that do but it's tough. They raised the quotas and 2/year because they never really reach the closure limits in most areas. Some people bellyaching about raised quotas and allowing a larger harvest which never even reaches the numbers G&F want for sustainability! It is correct, it's not in anyone's interest to decimate the population, were trying for sustainability here and those numbers can change from year to year, biologists can only give educated guesses and that's what we have to go off of. If the anti crowd would listen to reason and open their minds a little they would see how ridiculous they are. I don't agree with everyone's lifestyle but it's none my business and I stay out of theirs so why do they feel it's their business to get involved in mine! Sorry for the slight rant, a lot of this has been going around lately. You can be I'll be out this winter chasing lions and this fall chasing bears for that matter.

Ryan

To Many Lions just about everywhere... The only time G&F takes it serously is if their prescious Big Horns start getting eatin.
When the Deer are all but gone they will start in on the Elk... Then there are the Wolves...
Jack

I know the yotes do a number,mostly on the antelope here ,but deer too. There are several full time trappers working my area now and every rancher has a 223 in his truck.
I don't eat dogs and kill them when they become a threat near me. 3 packs howling this morning in the valley were shut up quick by the wolf that sounded them from the mesa behind me.....nothing I can do about them with possible tracking collars on them which send a signal as soon as they die.Little collars you can't see.
F&W would be here by end of day if I did.
Heard about a Magdelena rancher that got a 8k fine when he shot a suspected Big Yote.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]I find it kinda hard to believe a quota increase will have any impact on the cats. Those kitties are smart and Wiley! You can hunt them as hard as you wanted and I don't think hunters could even take half in the state. Barring poising I don't think you could make a dent in the population. I may very well be wrong, but I think getting rid of lions is about as feasible as getting rid of yotes, it just isn't going to happen.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-15 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]If you need a map Bticked let me know.nlot of lion tracks down where I used to hunt. PM me and I will line you out.

I thought this was another thread about Cesar. My question to all those activists would be what would have happened in the next year or two to there beloved Cesar after he could no longer keep his pride? He would have either starved or probably killed a human to survive. He died in his prime and his lineage will go on but his legacy should not be ammo for anti-hunters.

As for our four legged cougar problem here in NM, if you draw a tag in certain areas for sheep, elk, or deer you should be given a free cougar tag as an incentive to kill those bass turds. Tags should only be required for non-residents who only come to hunt a cougar or those that wish to transfer or sell maybe even barter a pelt. Private land owners should have an automatic green light to kill on sight the way it is for coyotes and stray dogs. Hell I will go as far as saying wolves should also have a green light on private land,as far as I know there is no incentive to any rancher for allowing a wolf to inhabit there property rent free.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom