Little Bighorn show us your SLAM!

Well I know that I am not the only slammer who posts on here and my journey is not unique, so hopefully others will post as well.
But Ted, I'm sure pictures will only make your fever fester even more.

I caught Ovisitis as a teen, looking at pics and reading adventures of Jack O'Connor's sheep hunts in Outdoor Life. I've been applying for sheep tags for 58 years so it's not an easy process.
My first lucky tag came in 2004, a Wyoming Rocky. It was in unit 4 (wilderness) so a guide was required. My son Spencer has been on all of my sheep hunts and he came with me. I killed this 10 year old Rocky on his 18th birthday.

Wyo Rocky pic.jpg

Last edited:
Having sheep tags is like eating potato chips. One is never enough. With the point systems well established, I knew I would eventually draw a Utah desert sheep tag (or die first), but my next sheep came through a stroke of luck and amazing good fortune.
I was able to publish a story and pics in Trophy Hunter Magazine about how all that unfolded..
Read the attached copy if you want more

Attachments

• The Gift copy.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 422
58 years of application’s, that’s perseverance! Congratulations on your accomplishments! They sound well earned
Most Grand Slammers are very rich, very lucky, or very persistent. My good fortune is probably a combination of the last two.
When I finally drew my Utah desert sheep tag in 2014, I had 50 years of unsuccessful attempts to my credit. Me and two others were the last people in our point pool to draw but that actually worked in our favor. By the time we drew, the Zion unit had opened up to hunting with some giant (for Utah) rams living within it's borders. Waiting that long actually made us the benefactors of some of the best desert sheep hunting the state has ever seen.

I have a very good friend who is a desert sheep outfitter, but I knew after waiting that long, I didn't want to shoot a ram on the first day. In my mind this hunt had to be an adventure.
My friend volunteered to help as much as we wanted, so after he pointed us in the right direction, my son and I spent 18 days, on our own, scouting for desert sheep. That crash course on desert sheep hunting was an incredible and exciting time for us.
We skipped the first week of the hunt to avoid the circus and to allow my friend to return from a Moose hunt he had booked. Then we set out to find the biggest ram we could find in the unit.
The first two days, I walked away from some really good rams, but on the evening of the second day, my son videoed one that we could not pass up.
The next morning we headed out after him, but he gave us the slip until late in the afternoon. With help, I was able to sneak into this ram's bedroom and take him at only 150 yards. He is the best scoring ram of all my sheep.

IMG_0460_DxOvdf-001.jpg

That desert looks huge!
What is your GS #?
His desert IS a monster!

Some rams look big but score lower, some look smaller but score better than one would think... BUT LBH's desert scores high and looks like a total PIG from any angle. #Supertrophy

He accomplished this lofty goal in the way that it "should" be done, IMHO. The big money dudes possibly missed the real point of the slam quest. I feel bad for them.

BTW: I sent LBH and his son into the country to spot for my son's desert sheep while we went elsewhere. They are the ones who spotted the ram for my son and, as luck would have it, we returned the nest day and relocated the ram and put him in the bag. Thanks,

Zeke

His desert IS a monster!

Some rams look big but score lower, some look smaller but score better than one would think... BUT LBH's desert scores high and looks like a total PIG from any angle. #Supertrophy

He accomplished this lofty goal in the way that it "should" be done, IMHO. The big money dudes possibly missed the real point of the slam quest. I feel bad for them.

BTW: I sent LBH and his son into the country to spot for my son's desert sheep while we went elsewhere. They are the ones who spotted the ram for my son and, as luck would have it, we returned the nest day and relocated the ram and put him in the bag. Thanks,

Zeke
As I said luck played a significant roll in my slam and my desert prize was more a result of good fortune than skill on my part.
Also, there is no better way to make friends than through sheep hunting. (well any hunting for that matter) That's a major part of how Zeke and I have bonded.

Zeke is also a slammer (#1121?, I believe) and he has killed more wild sheep than I have.
I will CALL HIM out to show us his slam as well!
Come on Zeke. Post pics of those bad boys!

Literally am working on three of the big ones in my shop right now.... I am the official sculptor for "Grand Slam"don't enjoy the wood working part but somebody's gotta do it Also the number I an getting now are well over 2000 Zeke your a pioneer and hellyeah show us your slam rams!

IMG_2878 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2881 - Copy.JPG

Schnack-small Grand Slam Close up.JPG

Schnack-small Grand Slam.JPG

thumbnail (1).jpg

Holly hot tomato paste!! what a Super Great ram.

Big congrates to littlebighorn. and Zeke for their slams. And for all other hunters who came from humble means with luck, persistence and sacrifice found a way.

Pretty dang awesome dudes both LBH and Zeke! I'm not sure about LBH, but I know Zeke not only kills the rams but he also eats their nuts. A couple of the few OG true sheep freaks I know. Way to go to both of you stallions!
Hey BW,
Did you eat the nuts of your Archery Ram last fall??
I ate them from a couple of my rams, but no amount of butter and garlic could make like it!
You are now <1 on a slam, so go for it Wiffy!

Come on Zekester post em up! And LBH you still owe you your Stoner!
I was pretty sure I'd never get a Stone ram because of the cost but I actually ended up going on two Stone sheep hunts before I found success.
Shortly after I got my Desert ram, I had an outrageous offer from some amazing people to help me finance a backpack Stone hunt to finish my SLAM.
While hiking a mountain to get in shape for that hunt, I had a heart attack that absolutely should have killed me. I will just say that a sequence of real miracles, including the presence of my son, brought me back to life. (That's a story more incredible than my Slam Quest, but probably too sacred to tell here).
Just being alive to go on that Stone hunt with my son was amazing, but after 14 grueling days in the BC backcountry, we never saw a legal ram.
For two years I chewed on Stone Sheep Tag jerky, which is nasty, but then the persistence part kicked in. I knew I had to try one more time for a Stone.
(Realtor) Zeke played a big part by helping my son and I find a run down house to flip. We spent the next 6 months working long into the night extra hours to get it done but between the sale of that house and some savings, I booked another BC Stone Sheep hunt.

I tried to upload a picture of my ram from my hunt but the file sizes are all too big. Even though I shot him in 2017, I just brought him home two weeks ago. My good friend Paul Penny made my Stone come back to life.

IMG-0334.JPG

I was pretty sure I'd never get a Stone ram because of the cost but I actually ended up going on two Stone sheep hunts before I found success.
Shortly after I got my Desert ram, I had an outrageous offer from some amazing people to help me finance a backpack Stone hunt to finish my SLAM.
While hiking a mountain to get in shape for that hunt, I had a heart attack that absolutely should have killed me. I will just say that a sequence of real miracles, including the presence of my son, brought me back to life. (That's a story more incredible than my Slam Quest, but probably too sacred to tell here).
Just being alive to go on that Stone hunt with my son was amazing, but after 14 grueling days in the BC backcountry, we never saw a legal ram.
For two years I chewed on Stone Sheep Tag jerky, which is nasty, but then the persistence part kicked in. I knew I had to try one more time for a Stone.
(Realtor) Zeke played a big part by helping my son and I find a run down house to flip. We spent the next 6 months working long into the night extra hours to get it done but between the sale of that house and some savings, I booked another BC Stone Sheep hunt.

I tried to upload a picture of my ram from my hunt but the file sizes are all too big. Even though I shot him in 2017, I just brought him home two weeks ago. My good friend Paul Penny made my Stone come back to life.

View attachment 86129
What a beautiful ram! Epic coat on that ram. To me that is the best part of that ram. Zeke's stone is in the same category.

Thanks for sharing your experiences LBH-it is inspiring to all of us. You are a good dude who is always willing to help others & that has certainly resulted in some good karma for you!

I hope to join the <1 club this year and appreciate the help and insight you have shared with me!??

Amazing job there - very nice pics. The places you have to get to find good Rams are tough. You must be a beast . A family member of mine got a Double Slam. Those were worked extremely hard to get some of those and just tough to be in those altitudes. Very awesome LBH.

Yes Zeke, show us your slam and tell us the stories.

That is what this forum is about, and these are way better than the normal pizzing matches around here! I'm not even a sheep guy, but these are incredible stories. I appreciate you sharing them, LBH. Now let's see/hear Zeke's!

That desert looks huge!
What is your GS #?
I'm Slammer # 2003.
It's easy for me to remember because I killed my first sheep in 2004.
And thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I honestly wish there were enough sheep around for every hunter to experience the adventures my son and I have shared.

Now come on Zeke, and/or any other SLAMMER. Share your Slam stories and pics.

Here’s my 38 bird slam from Thursday morning.
Only one (1) was an actual mourning dove?.
Does that count?

Yes, I LOVE sheep hunting but even for me and LBH it’s rare so ANY hunting will make me miss sleep like a school girl before prom.

Sure, I’m going to post some of my sheep pics but most of you guys have seen them before.

Zeke

464473F6-7853-44ED-B9FF-8F4AA97A8D30.jpeg

PS: In case y’all think I can’t count, the owner of the land took a few (8) before the pic. Haha

Zeke

Well I haven’t seen pics of your sheep. Just the mounts.
And if anyone thinks they can out shoot the old Zekester, I’ve got money(very little) to wager against ya!;)
Those poor Eurasians don't have a chance!

Wow, what a thread and congratulations on your success and perseverance. You have some outstanding trophies and best of all you got to experience the hunts with son.
I’m leaving for my first sheep hunt (desert) in one week. My two sons are going with. Your stories have me even more excited about the hunt. Thank you!!

Wow, what a thread and congratulations on your success and perseverance. You have some outstanding trophies and best of all you got to experience the hunts with son.
I’m leaving for my first sheep hunt (desert) in one week. My two sons are going with. Your stories have me even more excited about the hunt. Thank you!!
I'm very excited for you woodruffhunter, especially having your boys along! It will be epic.

I’ll start with one of my oddball sheep/goat critters.
Doing this on my phone is a challenge since when I scroll, I end up with several mics pics wanting to download on here.
Might have to do it from desktop tomorrow.

Thanks for the interest gents.

Zeke

D70F77D0-79F0-49AD-A542-A7B1BACDAD01.jpeg

3/4 slammer here. I can relate to Littlebighorn. My four rams (2 bighorns) have come with a ton of luck and crazy hard work. I need a stone to complete my slam and haven’t quite decided on how or if I’m going to make that happen.
Great thread and congratulations to Littlebighorn and Zeke on some amazing accomplishments.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom