little deer gun for wife

kicker

I want to get my wife a little deer gun and was wondering what your opinions were. The recoil has to be as little as possible. I'm also on a budget so what am i looking at??

Personally the .243 is a great deer cartridge. I have also heard good things about the 25-06. As for which brand of rifle to buy. That does depend on your budget, but I would be willing to spend at least $500 or more on a new one. Sometimes you can find great deals at pawn shops or even second hand at your local sporting goods store. Shop around. Good luck

You ever looked into a 6.5x55 or a 7x57 nice cals.I'd use 'em What I don't understand is why do men get the big
loud-n-boomers and the wife gets a meek mild cal.
cant men shoot good enough to kill with the smaller cals?
or maybe they really don't want their wife to kill anything.
I just don't know. :: RIMROCK

i got a 7x57 mauser and its a great shooting gun,,, i shot an elk with it and a deer,, both one shot kills..it doesnt kick and i can reload from a 120 grain to 175 grain bullet .........cbryant

Whatever you buy, invest in a quality recoid pad and have a smith install it. Do this BEFORE she fires it. Makes a puppy out of a Rott.

Just my .02 cents

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

I don't know anything about it, but the 7mm-08 seems pretty interesting. From what I've read, it may suit what you need. mtmuley

I would choose the 7mm-08 with the Sims or Decelerator recoil pad installed and stock length cut to fit your wife. The Remington Stainless Laminated Mountain Rifle is relatively light and handles well. I have one in .260 Remington (another good choice), but factory ammo choices are limited a lot more than the 7-08 if you don't reload.

Doug/RedRabbit

LAST EDITED ON Nov-17-04 AT 07:40PM (MST)[p]Another vote for the .260. I recently began searching for a rifle for my daughter and wanted a caliber that would not make her recoil sensitive. The .243 was recommended quite a bit but the .260 was also mentioned by folks who had some knowledge on the potential of the .260. Not having paid mutch attention before to the 6.5 family I gave it a hard look and wound up getting her a Remington Mountain rifle in .260. The obvious downside is the lack of ammo that you can find locally but just go online and it is out there. Handloading is a plus if you choose to hunt varmits with the lighter bullets or bigger game with the 140's or 160's if the gun will shoot the heavier bullets.

I too concur with the benefits of the Simms or other quaility recoil pad.

Since you asked about pricing http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=25771612

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=25487690

Redrabbit has the gun in mind that i am going to get my wife. The Stainless Remington Mountian rifle in 7-08 or 260 or 280.
I will get a sims recoil pad for it and she will think she is shooting her 223.

elk_img_01.gif

It would be a waste of time and money, The .243 kicks very little. More of a bang then a push.

elk_img_01.gif

If you consider the need for a pad on a 243 then do it. It won't be a waste. Remember that though the 243 seems like it kicks to some, it may not to many. But if it kicks to your spouse or child its too late. Pads(good ones) often make any kick seem softer.

I"d disregard what anyone else says and put it on. Its cheap enough anyway.

BTW I'm always a bit confused by folks that suggest going to a small round like 7-08 to reduce recoil and then suggest a small mountain type rifle at the same time. You loose the weight of the gun, the felt recoil is increased. Something along the lines that you can make a 308 in a mountain rifle feel like an 06 in a heavier bdl type rifle.

Be careful on that rifle weight.

Jeff

>
>Redrabbit has the gun in mind
>that i am going to
>get my wife. The Stainless
>Remington Mountian rifle in 7-08
>or 260 or 280.
>I will get a sims recoil
>pad for it and she
>will think she is shooting
>her 223.
>
>
>
>
>
elk_img_01.gif

I dont' think I would let my wife shoot my 280 MT rifle... The precieved kick is as hard as my 7mag or maybe harder. Same goes with the ultralight M77 in 270 that I have. The combonation of the small surface area of the recoil pad and the gun only weighing about 7.5 pounds makes it a little rough to shoot from the bench. My wife has shot my .260, but it weighs more, and has a better fitting stock.

My vote is for the .260 or 7-08... depending on if you reload or not.

That M700 Mt Rifle in Laminated Stock looks like a real sweetie.

I picked up a Rem M600 Mohawk in 308 Win at a local gun show here in NW Wa. It has a 18.5" barrel. My son killed his first deer at age 12 with it. It was light to carry and shoots real tight groups. In fact it shoots so well that quickly realized it was worthy of a high quality scope.

I down loaded my son's ammo for that gun from full power factory loads, and determined in my mind that we would only take a shot out to 150 yds. We went with 150gr Spitzers at 2700fps or so. As he grows up and becomes a better shot, we will "stoke-up" the load.

Do not over look the TIKKA and CZ rifles.

Best Regards, Don
Everett, WA

JUST BOUGHT MY 11 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER A .260 RUGER M77 MK2. IT IS REALLY NICE AND IT'S A SHOOTER. GETTING ABOUT 1.5 INCH GROUPS OUT OF THE BOX. SHE SHOOTS IT COMFORTABLY AND SHES JUST A LITTLE THING. DON'T CARE WHAT ANY BODY SAYS, BUT A 243 JUST AINT ENOUGH. 7MM-08 SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING TOO, BUT THIS .260 HAS REALLY IMPRESSED ME.

BRAND NEW $450.00

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-04 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]For those who do not recommend the 243, what are your reasons? It was my first rifle and I still use it today. I have yet to loose a deer and I have shot a few and cannot remember any that required more than one shot. It performs excellent! The only disadvantage I can see is if your going to be shooting great distances or in strong winds, but it performs farther than my capabilities. Alot of deer are killed with a .22 cal rifles.
I would strongly recommend the 243.
Cary

M1FAN,

AT FIRST SHE JUST SHOT UP A BUNCH OF FACTORY STUFF, BUT I LOADED UP A BUNCH OF 125 GRN PARTITIONS.

I'm with Carey, the 243 is plenty of gun for moderate range shots. Use a good bullet and pull the trig and dont look back, it will do the job. Especially if you shoot them like you are supposed to.

I remember many Bob Milek articles about the 243 and mule deer. I was young and dumb at the time, but he convinced me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom