Loafer and Nebo?

T

Timberline270

I've been up scouting on and around Nebo and Loafer. This is my first year hunting this unit and I'm not familiar with how busy it get's during the muzzle-loader deer hunt. I hear Nebo get's hit pretty hard, but any idea on how much pressure Loafer will get in the first few days of the hunt?
Thanks,

"Way to much" is right!

More than you think it would have concidering how rugged and
not a lot of access..............

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-13 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]Thanks, I'll spend time scouting a few different areas so I can have a few backup spots.

>All depends on how far you
>go in.... Most are
>road hunters after the first
>day or two.

That is so true and hold true for almost every unit.
2 years ago we noticed that even the road hunters gave up after the second day. Maybe they went back to the couch! LOL
Zeke

Thanks for the response, I'm planning on a 6day pack hunt, so I'm not worried about any road hunters. The place looks tough and nasty so it should be a good hunt!!

Good luck! You'll have a ball!

Most hunters hike to he!! and back (in the middle of the day) the first day. They really over-do it the first day and then ride the roads for another day or two and call it quits. Then they come home and post on MM how there are not enough deer and there are no bucks.

You'll do just fine and you'll have more fun.
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-13 AT 00:25AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-13 AT 00:24?AM (MST)

>Good luck! You'll have a ball!
>
>
>Most hunters hike to he!! and
>back (in the middle of
>the day) the first day.
>They really over-do it the
>first day and then ride
>the roads for another day
>or two and call it
>quits. Then they come home
>and post on MM how
>there are not enough deer
>and there are no bucks.
>
>
>You'll do just fine and you'll
>have more fun.
>Zeke

After hiking all over he11 the first day they go to drinking beer. After that anything 200 yards off any road is all yours. Those are the novice Nebo hunters. The expert Nebo hunters drink whiskey after the opening day. Either way its all the DWR's fault they can't shoot one off the road...

I've been doing a lot of scouting on Nebo, even into the east basins and I can truly say it doesn't look good. Most of the places that generally have a few bucks seem empty. I am hoping that the heat has just driven them into cooler thicker spots and/or they are more nocturnal because of the heat during the day. I am truly concerned that the unit is losing population instead of growing. There always seems to be a few good ones-especially in the high stuff but I haven't seen anything to get excited about. The bear population has exploded on the unit and I believe that they are taking their toll on the fawns and at the minimum they tend to displace the deer wherever they frequent. I truly believe that predation is the main cause of the continued decline of the unit.

Thanks Gunnie3035 and Nebo12000 for the insight. I am going scouting again next week so hopefully I can find a shooter!

>Good luck! You'll have a ball!
>
>
>Most hunters hike to he!! and
>back (in the middle of
>the day) the first day.
>They really over-do it the
>first day and then ride
>the roads for another day
>or two and call it
>quits. Then they come home
>and post on MM how
>there are not enough deer
>and there are no bucks.
>
>
>You'll do just fine and you'll
>have more fun.
>Zeke

ZEKE!!!! Shhhhhhhh! You're giving away my secrets!:)

OP - there are family camps on both mountains you mention. They are usually horseback and cover some serious ground. You can get away but that mountain can be pretty unforgiving if you end up having to bushwhack somewhere. It does thin out after the opener though. The road will be a traffic jam, especially on the weekends. Plan appropriately and you will find some open country to hunt. I have a rifle tag up there this year. Still some good bucks to be had but you need to be very very patient.

It's always an adventure!!!

Drove home at 3:00 am this morning and just about hit 4 bucks in the orchards on the North end of the unit. 2 were really nice. One in particular was 24-25" wide and I would guess near 30" tall. Great looking buck. He's bedded on the back porch of the Gladstan golf course. :)

It's always an adventure!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom