Long Range Rifle?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Just got back from a guided elk hunt and used the guide's rifle and shot a bull at 520 yards. I have never shot anything that far in my life. Since then I have been researching different types of rifles and scopes to see what was within my budget. I looked at the Tikka Lite and Rem 700P thus far. For scopes the Leupold Mark5 HD 3.6-18 and the Burris XTR II. The purpose of the rifle will be to hunt from elk down to antelope. I currently have a Ruger M77 300 Win Mag and love it. But have never shot anything over 324 yards (antelope). Question is? Should I Put together a gun my self or as the option that I have stated above or buy one from a dealer that makes long range guns. My budget will be $3000 or less. Getting older so don't want to walk any further that I have too!!!
Any opinions will be appreciated. My ruger is 15 years old so its about time to replace it and since I retired I have the time mess with it.

$3,000 TOTAL? I'd find a rifle with an MOA guarantee. I bought a Christensen Arms Mesa in a .300 Win Mag ($1,400) and couldn't be more happy with it. It shoots 180 grain Barnes Vor-Tx TTSX factory loads exceptionally well. On top I have a Nightforce SHV 5-20X56 ($1,100+/-). I'm really intrigued by Cooper Arms and would love to try out their Backcountry rifle someday perhaps. As far as Remington goes, I've had a couple of bad experience with them and will not purchase another Remington rifle. I'm sure there's some other opinions out there but this is just what I've had some personal experience with.

The type of scope will be the deciding factor,
LOTS of great calibers to choose from.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-18 AT 12:56PM (MST)[p]What's wrong with the M77? I'd suggest adjusting the trigger and bedding the action first. Then you can top it with a new scope of your choice.
Do you handload? If so develop a good load with your choice of high BC bullet and go out and practice,practice, practice. You will learn and develop your own skills over some time. After that you will be able to choose and setup a new rifle to your own liking and comfortable for you.

Really, just looking for something new. Don't handload yet but have all the ingrediants to do so.

Nothing wrong with buying a new rifle!! Endless possibilities out there. What is your yardage limit? How far do you intend to shoot at game? Targets?

With your budget I'd be looking at a used custom rifle and a good quality scope with proven tracking. Or a semi custom rebarreled Remington is how I would go. The Christensen aren't a bad rifle either.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-18 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p]>Does this have a muzzle brake?
>

The Browning X-Bolt, Christensen Arms Mesa and the Cooper Backcountry all come with factory brakes (as do some other semi-custom rifles).

My wife killed her first deer last year with my .300 Win Mag Mesa. She's all of 5'1" and about 100 lbs. The brake definitely made the difference.

my opinion????.....target shooting is not hunting.

Get closer.

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

>my opinion????.....target shooting is not hunting.
>
>
>Get closer.
>
>
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans
>-- when they're dead...

Get closer? What for? He just wacked an elk at 520. And it wasn't even his rifle. It's easy. mtmuley

Your current rifle is plenty capable of taking elk out to 500 and beyond. I'd put a few bucks into the old girl first, new scope, trigger and bedding job, and a new handload with some high bc bullets. And then practice, practice, practice! Hardest part of long range hunting is learning to read canyon winds, no substitute for real world practice.

2a0fcsk.gif

I'm actually leaning towards purchasing a scope and keeping the old 300 win mag. Over the years I've had countless nice animals out at the 5-700 range that I couldn't get close too because a terrain issues or time limit before the animal disappeared from view that I would like to have had a chance at. I've been learning lately that getting closer takes allot more time than it use too. Hunting out west in the mountains and not geting any younger is getting difficult. But when you love something you'll always try harder.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-18 AT 11:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-18 AT 11:28?AM (MST)

I bought a long range set up two years ago,and it seemed like a good idea to be able to kill and elk at 800 yards. But i found that the country,i hunt where i live, can be a lot of steep canyons, and if i did kill something long range, it would take me longer to get to it,and pack it out !! I'm getting older too, and i decided to sell that gun,and stay with my old Ruger 300 that iv'e had for over 40- years. Having said that, i killed a bull at 525 this year out of a hay field with my son in laws set up this fall !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom