Long range rifle

H

HORNHUNTER

I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on what kind and size of long range rifle i should get?

That depends on what you are planning on hunting at long range. Also are you looking to build a rifle and handload or just looking for a good out of the box caliber and factory ammo. How far you plan on shooting? Some more info would be helpful

Sorry i was thinking that after I posted this... Deer and elk mostly. I will be hand loading. I was thinking a 7mm ultra mag, 300 ultra mag or a 270 wsm or ultra mag. I have head that the 7mm ultra mag is so fast it can cauterize the hole at closer ranges. I want to shoot a bullet around 160-180 grain. For hunting I probably wont shoot over 700-800 yards. But I would like free shoot 1000+

HORNHUNTER any one of those will work. I will say no matter what caliber you pick make sure you have at least 1,000 fps at the range you plan on shooting. Be careful with bullets some bullets don't open up at those ranges. I like Nosler bullets. A high B.C bullet will help with wind drift and at the target. quest

HORNHUNTER you can have a rifle built but a factory rifle like Remington is more than capable of what your after. It just takes time at the range and a little luck reloading and a chronograph to produce the load you need. I would get a good quality scope that matches your load with your set up. quest

Don't make the mistake and think you need ultra mag speed to shoot long range. There is a custom rifle builder in Utah that makes great rifles and a resonable price. I have one in a 300 win mag and it is incredible out to 1000 yards. I shoot a 190 grn bullet at 3005 fps and it works great. The rifle builder is Rogers Rifle Shop. The phone number is 801-250-0698. Roger builds rifles for law enforcement agencies across the US. Give him a call. You won't be sorry.

Why such a big bullet? Wouldnt a lighter bullet (130-140 gr) do better at long ranges? Just curious...

Steve
T&A Inspector

A heavier bullet usually has a higher BC and carries energy further than a lighter weight bullet. Out of the muzzle a lighter bullet will be going faster but in most cases a heavier bullet will surpass it out at about 500yards or so.

HORNHUNTER you can go to Big Game Info and put in your information it will list most of what you need to know out to 1000 yards. Try different calibers with different B.C and different bullet weights to see what your after. quest

How about leaving the long range shooting at the range, and learning to get within 100 yards. Learn to hunt too, I think too many now just rely on their shooting and to heck with hunting. Pretty sad from my view point.

Have a good one. BB

CAHUNTER you are right. The light weight fast bullets are ok for distances up to 500 yrds. Another good source of long range shooting info is THE BEST OF THE WEST. I love the sport of shooting long range. Not just for hunting but targets as well. One of the best longe range setups I have seen was a 338 Lapua shooting a 300 gr scenar bullet. That setup was only shooting 2750 fps but it still packed plenty at 1000 yards and talk about accurate.

Check on KSL.com in Utah there is a 7mm ultra mag. I shoot the exact rifle and loads he has and it shoots accordingly. It's a little heavy, being wood but doesn't require a muzzle break. My twelve year old son shoots it. 850.00 is not a bad price with all of the extras.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom