look at this, if you hunt in grays harbor

Z

zaniac

i was just wondering if any of you guys ever hunt in grays harbor washington?

Craig
So you hunt Capitol Forrest and the black hills? How have you done? Do you hunt elk in the same area? There's a pretty nice herd on the Mox-Chehalis road side and around Porter.

Polarbear
I hunt Capitol forest and the land that is on the other side of HWY 8 a littleways down. On the right side of the road By the cell towers on top the hill. I havn't had much success. I see a few spikes and two points eyery year but I don't shoot them. I saw a real nice three point last year but I had a special permit for mule deer last year so I didn't shoot it.

I mostly hunt eastern Washington for mule deer first. If I don't get a deer over there I will come and hunt over here. I just hate the thick brush. I have never hunted elk over here but would like to some day. I have five points saved for elk permits and am trying to get a good bull elk tag.

I have read some of your other post and It sounds like you have done real good with your deer hunting. I need to get me a big whitetail someday. I am hunting in Montana this year and I am trying to decide if I should shoot a big whitetail or a big Mule deer.

I saw a post that you work at the Miller brewery. do you live in town. I live right off Yelm Highway by the brewery.

I also hunt the same area you are all talking about. The Minot peak unit. I have done pretty well over the last couple of years. With the exception of last year. I didn't even see a deer until the last day of the season and they were only spikes. I have done a little research around and am changing my areas next year. I am getting tired of hunting in the wet and thick stuff. Hopefully I will draw my Mule deer tag for Eastern Oregon this year. I also live in Olympia and am farther down Yelm Hwy down the road from EVG(evergreen valley grocery). You guys take care and good luck this year. Only 5 more months to go. Peace out!!!

Craig
I live just out of Rainier towaards Vail. This Skookumchuck unit is a good one if your willing to beat the brush. In Grays Harbor have you tried the Delezene? The roads are blocked off but there are some nice critters once you get up in there.

Hey guys,
I have hunted in the grays harbor area for about 6 years now and have done fairly well. I started hunting around the wynooche area and up around 13 corners and 88 canyon. Lots of deer up there but also lots of hunters. I started hunting out the satsop and got a couple of nice deer up on the C line. Last year was the first year I have hunted up by minot peak, I got a muzzle loader and could not hunt the units I usually do. I saw lots a smaller deer and does. Saw a couple of really good bucks up there too. Send me an email if you want to [email protected]
B_B

Wake1
You live by the E.V.G.? Have you seen the herd of elk just down the road from you? If you head south on Meridian At the E.V.G. until you hit tucker and go to the end there are some small fields. the elk come off of Ft. Lewis property and graze during the spring nad summer.
A guy that I worked with, he retired this past year (lucky bastard!) has lived there all of his life and has shown me some pretty dandy pics. I went out and saw em' last summer. There were 9 bulls, 4 of them were 5 & 6 points. The trick is getting permission or getting onto Ft. Lewis. Check it out sometime.
Eric

Blacktail Boy

Do you know of any places to look for bears out that way. Some big berry patches or something. I need to get a bear.

I don't know about any good places. I have shot a couple up near clear water ( it's up by quinalt) and there are always lots of bear up above the Wynooche dam. I have not really ever seen any in barry patches, but I do a lot of glassing and tend to see them often.

Craig
Another good spot is Matheny. It's up the Queets, just south of Clearwater. Try the Sams Ridge area. Clearwater and Matheny are great spots for elk too. Weve shot some dandys in there. Took 2 nice bears last year on Sams Ridge.
Eric

Thanks for the info. Is that area a hike in area. Do you glass the berry patches or did you just run into the bears.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom