Looking for a salmon fishing guide

T

Texcrantler

We are coming to Vancouver/Portland in September and am looking for a good salmon fishing guide for my wife and myself, any help would be great, thanks

The salmon run starts at the mouth of Columbia at the beginning of August and continues into September. If you want a chinook look for guides that fish the Columbia that time of year. There is a ton of them. I don't know any good ones because I don't use them. Good time for fishing,

Rich

David Johnson is a top guide and a good guy. Give him a try he is the master of coho down at Buoy 10 that time of year.

i've only gone with 2 different guides but after we went with the second one , he's the only guide i'd call.
Shane Groshong- FISH-ON Northwest.
i'll tell you a couple trips we went on:
1. for my wife and i's first aniversary we went on an UMPQA spring salmon trip. she caught a 37 lb and a 30 lbs. i caught a 35 lb and a 25 lb. we seen 2 other fish caught all day

2. bouy 10 with some buddies. very slow day for all 1000 boats out there that day, we seen probably 10 other fish landed all day. ARE boat landed 5, everyone at least caught 1 apiece

3. a willamette river salmon trip. 4 guys, all limited out by 1 or 2 o-clock, smaller fish, average 16-18lbs i'd guess

4. a columbia river "over sized" sturgen trip. cant keep them so it's just for fun.
first we fished for SHAD which was a blast by itself, then the sturgen. we hooked 11 OVER SIZED and landed 9 OVERSIZED. this doesn't include the smaller ones( under 5') the smallest over sized being 7'8" and most average 8-8'6 with the biggest being 9 ' 9". we could have fished till 4:00 pm but at 2:00 pm me and my buddy were tired and called it a day. those thing will were you out.

got to go to work , i'll finish later

I would highly recommend Travis Moncrief. He is truly one of the top guides on the north coast, and comparing how consistently busy he is compared to some of the other so called top guides will prove it. He fishes the lower Columbia in August/September then switches to Tillamook Bay later in the fall.

You can find his website at www.finsfeathersfurs.net

www.ifish.net

Lots of information on that website, lot of good people and good guides.

Columbia River is probably the best bet for that time of year for salmon, it can be crrrrazy!

My number one pick would be David Johnson. He is an absolutely awesome guide. He makes catching salmon a science. We caught fish when nobody else was. He fishes 4 people at a time where Travis M. fishes 6 (too many people in one boat). His phone number is 503-201-4292.

+1 on the ifish forum. There are a lot of good guides on that forum from through out the state, and a few from Alaska.

>My number one pick would be
>David Johnson. He is an
>absolutely awesome guide. He makes
>catching salmon a science. We
>caught fish when nobody else
>was. He fishes 4 people
>at a time where Travis
>M. fishes 6 (too many
>people in one boat). His
>phone number is 503-201-4292.

Trust me, Travis isn't going to stick 6 guys in the boat on you if you don't have 6 guys in your party. He fishes 6 guys a lot because he gets lots of bigger groups that want to go fish with him and he has a boat big enough to handle it.

Thanks Again for all the help, got our tax return today and am going to make some phone calls. Scott

+1 for Travis M, great guy AND great guide. He'll treat you right, plus he'll put you on fish. You won't be dissapointed if you go with him.

I can't say anything about the others as I've not fished with them.

LBR

Back
Top Bottom