Looking for advice!

DIG

Hello Folks, I'm a long-time follower, but a first time participant of the MM Forum. I am a NR who was lucky enough (after many years of applying) to draw a Rhodes Canyon Oryx Tag. I have many questions regarding this hunt, many of which I'm sure Gilbert from WSMR will be able to answer but I value hunters opinions as well. I will probably make several posts prior to my hunt seeking advice, but for starters; is it possible or practical to hunt Oryx in the Rhodes Canyon area with a bow? I've taken some great antelope hunting waterholes out of a blind. Are there established waterholes, and if so would this tactic work for Oryx. I would love to hear of or from any hunters who have taken an Oryx with a bow. Thanks!

Never hunted there but have hunted on range twice. Never had a shot opportunity under 180 yards. I would have loved to take one with a bow but I don't think on a two day hunt I would risk eating a once in a life time tag to do it.

I agree... been to Rhodes 2 times with friends... not lucky enough to go with my tag... Leave your bow tackle at home and take a 338 or equivalent. You will get in range of Oryx... Just a question if its big enough for you. GL and post pics
Jack

Since this type of question comes up fairly often, most folks are referred to a past thread done by compass west outfitters. Do a search on this site in the NM forum for oryx. I forget the exact name of the thread, but it is very informative. Maybe someone will chime in on the exact title. Other than that I have no advice to give. I'm still waiting for the luck to come my way:)

I considered taking my bow on my hunt several years ago in Rhodes Canyon, but ended up leaving it at home. On the first day of the hunt, I could have shot 2 39-40" cows first thing in the morning at about 40yds, but those were my only opportunities I could have had with the bow. Im glad I took the rifle otherwise my OIL hunt would have been tag soup!! From my experience, I don't find the Oryx to water like deer and goats. Not saying they don't, but you will need more than a couple days to find some type of pattern. I suggest you take the rifle and make the hunt count if your looking for a kill, but if its the experience you are after.....take what you enjoy more!! Good Luck!!

I don't think there is any a rule against it, so take both. If you happen to spot one as you're driving around that you think you could put a stalk on, give it your best shot. Then, after you've been busted and the stalk is blown, pull out your rifle and bring back an oryx. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity--make the most of it.

Last time I was on rhodes for my wife's oil got within 63 yards of three nice bulls could of shot one with the bow. Had time to range them and get my wife set up so it's possible.

63yds is a long poke on a tough animal, especially w/ a properly weighted arrow. I wouldn't shoot them w/ anything less than 500gr. If you think elk are tough, you haven't seen an oryx. Not to mention their anatomy and how the lungs are positioned, but what an awesome animal they are.

I agree. I think close range and quartering away would be the only shot I would be willing to take. That's why I'm wondering if established waterholes and a blind might be an option. Does anyone know of someone who has taken an Oryx with a bow? Does anyone know if Oryx need to water every day?

Long poke yes but almost everything out west is a long poke. And yes I'm confident in my abilities and with the situation we were in I would of taken that shot on an oryx with a bow.

Hunted November/December 2013. It was more stressfull than I anticipated. I got a 35"cow the Sunday at 1:30. I made several mistakes. One being spending Friday afternoon and Saturday spotting and stalking only to get busted at 1,000 yards. Long mile plus stalks are my prefered method but eat up precious time. These animals have incredible eye sight. Sunday we road hunted with better luck. They seem to zero in on slow moving vehicles with people gettung out and glassing. So we zipped around like we worked their. It was kind of a combination of ground hog hunting from a vehicle and chasing cattle. If you drove past them quickly they may stand and look, if you out ran them they would stop an watch you pass. Unfortunately, I didnt learn that trick until I was on my way out after killing an animal. Be ready to shoot long range. I got mine at 543 yards with an old old Winchester model 70 in 30-06. I had a lot of practice at 400+ yard but not that range. I had my buddy call the shot and hit the animal squarely on the second.

I hunted Rhodes. We started in the southwest foothill but killed one way north. We were almost to highway 380. That northern area was more conducive to road hunting while the south was better for spot and stalk. At some time Gilbert will send you a map. I'd be happy go over places outside a public forum.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom