looking for basic EASY to use GPS

huntzall

I'm needing a user friendly GPS nothing fancy. Basically all I need it for is to mark camp and to be able to find my way back. Any suggestions on a good basic one?

975920141115_101151.jpg

E trex under $100 easy to use AA batteries

Bushnell backtrack, it's so easy I can use it. You put in a position like camp and walk away. Hit the camp button again it will tell you what direction to go and how many feet, yards or miles to get back. All with no maps you can pick up a new one on ebay for 30 or 40 bucks.

I'll agree with the garmin.. Mine is the blue model, not sure but think its the E-trex legend. Bought one micro sd card with western states maps. Simple to use, turn it on tag location then back off until needed.
Whatever you buy, make sure you get one with a lighted screen.

Spend the money, get a good one. Get one that can record tracks. Just because your camp is 2.4 miles away as the crow flies doesn't mean thats the route you want to take. You know cliffs, deep canyons, dead fall from hell etc.. It's especially helpful at night.

The Garmin Etrex (basic model) is solid. Used it for years, until I decided I wanted a radio as well.

Use the Gaia GPS app on any smart phone. Can mark as many way points as you would like and this app works without cell service. I cant remember how much i paid for the app but it was cheaper than a new gps unit. If you only want it for marking things and getting back this is a great option.

Shutgun1 speaks wisdom. I back track or follow saved existing tracks far more than I use any function on my GPS.

I was where you are a couple years ago. Figured I just needed a cheapy to get me back to camp or a downed animal. It's not much more for an upgrade but the benefits are more than worth it. I picked up the Garmin Oregon 450 for $199, put in a $99 boundary chip, I couldn't be happier. Just think, $300 and you use it for +10 years, that's only $30 bucks a year or less, or maybe $5 per hunt. Pretty cheap when you think about it that way.

I have a Lowrance unit. Works great but when Garmin bought Lowrance they shut down that division. I'm way too invested in my Lowrance with 100's of waypoints and tracks to switch. That said, if I were to do it all over again, I would go the Garmin. As stated earlier, you can get a lot of function for $300.

It's kind of like you never owned a motor vehicle before. Could you backpack to hunt? Sure, but it might take you a long, long time to get to camp and you would be giving up a lot of creature comforts that allow you to hunt harder and longer. You don't know what you don't know until you own a GPS. I do a lot of scouting on Google Earth and load the latitude and longitude of e-scouted locations into my GPS for my pre-season scouting.

My GPS is one of my most valued hunting tools because it pays off every season.

Just make sure you get one that can pick up signals in deep canyons, dense forests etc......no sense of going cheap......especially when your life may depend upon it........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom