Looking for info on WY antelope area 17

L

Lowedog

Put in for area 17 for antelope. Anyone want to share some info for that area? We have a few options we are looking into so far. This will be our first antelope hunt. I have the land owners list and am wondering if anyone knows any land owners who they would reccomend calling on the list or not? Not really looking to pay a high trespass fee. Any info on public land would be helpfull. Looking at the BLM maps there seems to be a fair amount of public around Fortification Creek.

PM or email [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

-Lowedog

I have not hunted 17 but have seen plenty of antelope when I have drove through the area. Contact the game biologist in
Sheridan, his name is Darrell Meineke. He is a very nice fellow and he can give you all the info you need and then some.
Good Luck

"very nice fellow" Is that the case with all Wy F&G employees? My personal experence is that they have been the most professional and helpful as a group than any other state I've dealt with. I am very high on their management, new PP system, public relations. Just me or is that the rule?

Personally I like Nevada's PP system better BUT overall, I rate Wy as the best because of the biologists and wardens I've talked to.

Living in Wyoming I have dealings with their personnel on a regular basis. All of my experiences with the Wyoming F&G employees has been very positive. I believe they are truly a very professional group of people. The public can be very demanding and there are many different views and special interests they have to deal with.

Get your self a Wyoming Atlas & Gazetteer that should answer majority of your questions about public land. You can order them on online from Wal-Mart.

>Get your self a Wyoming Atlas
>& Gazetteer that should answer
>majority of your questions about
>public land. You can order
>them on online from Wal-Mart.
>

Whatever you do, do NOT rely on a GAZETTEER! The detail on those things is crap, and they get people into trouble all the time. Get yourself BLM maps of the area. For area 17 you should be fine if you get the Gillette and Recluse maps. That said, I'll say that there is very little public land in area 17 that is accessable to the public. The little bits of public land are hunted hard, and you will be dissapointed if you rely on the public land in that area. Someone said there is a bunch of public land in the Fortification area... That's true, but NONE of it has public access. I'd recommend calling people on that landowner list, and if you get a few potential landowners where you think you may want to hunt, call the north Gillette game warden. He's a good guy and will give you good, honest information.

>>Get your self a Wyoming Atlas
>>& Gazetteer that should answer
>>majority of your questions about
>>public land. You can order
>>them on online from Wal-Mart.
>>
>
>
>Whatever you do, do NOT rely
>on a GAZETTEER! The
>detail on those things is
>crap, and they get people
>into trouble all the time.
> Get yourself BLM maps
>of the area. For
>area 17 you should be
>fine if you get the
>Gillette and Recluse maps.
>That said, I'll say that
>there is very little public
>land in area 17 that
>is accessable to the public.
> The little bits of
>public land are hunted hard,
>and you will be dissapointed
>if you rely on the
>public land in that area.
> Someone said there is
>a bunch of public land
>in the Fortification area...
>That's true, but NONE of
>it has public access.
>I'd recommend calling people on
>that landowner list, and if
>you get a few potential
>landowners where you think you
>may want to hunt, call
>the north Gillette game warden.
> He's a good guy
>and will give you good,
>honest information.

I'll second that. We almost got into trouble last year in WY with a Gazatteer in WY. Luckily the GW was cool. Go with BLM maps only.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

The Public Lands Information Center sells a CD Rom for 50 or 60 bucks that has all the info in map form on it. Right now I just use paper maps but I have been eyeing that for about a year. It sure would make picking new areas a little easier IMO.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom