Looking For Recommendations in Wyoming

Slat338-378

My buddy an I have 10 points for Wyoming and were looking for some good areas and outfitters for Mule Deer. We are both in good shape have hunted in several different states. I know there has been some winter kill that has really affected the heard over the past couple seasons. Just wanting to see what might be the best available hunting for our points, or if we should look for 25/26.

Hey there Slat.! Have you ever been to Wyoming? What type of hunt are you hoping to experience? Is there any particular reason you would be looking at 25/26.? Or are you just hoping for help in finding a good outfitter who can answer your questions about where to hunt? Specifics help get relevant responses... 😁

Hello Browning. We have not hunted Wyoming before. We have hunted Colorado and Montana. I have been doing some research and have seen that there has been some severe die off to the herd. So, with that in mind the thought was to look to the 25/26 season. We have some realistic expectations, we are not looking for a 280 class deer. We would both be happy with a great representative of the herd 160-180, not saying wo wouldn't like to take something bigger. I have also seen some crazy numbers for points necessary to draw in some of the areas. We were looking at going to region G-H-K. What I was really hopping for is to see where some of the better areas are for good mature mule deer and if some people had some good experiences with some outfitters in some of the areas. We have booth done the DIY hunts and enjoy them, but this time we are going through an outfitter. We really do not have the time to invest on scouting areas ourselves.

Maybe after this winter but I'd imagine most outfitters in G and H will be in the same boat. You might be better off finding an outfitter on the east side of the state where the winterkill wasn't as bad.

Western Wyoming took a beating last winter and I would not go there burning 10+ points. My guide from last year and I stay in touch. He returned this season to where I killed my buck. In addition to my buck, there was another herd in the drainage with a quality buck in it. He didn't see a single deer this season and this is an area that traditionally holds good bucks on an annual basis.

The reset button has been hit and it will be awhile before it returns to its glory. Glad I went when I did and will go back one of these days, but it won't be for awhile, thank goodness.

Western Wyoming took a beating last winter and I would not go there burning 10+ points. My guide from last year and I stay in touch. He returned this season to where I killed my buck. In addition to my buck, there was another herd in the drainage with a quality buck in it. He didn't see a single deer this season and this is an area that traditionally holds good bucks on an annual basis.

The reset button has been hit and it will be awhile before it returns to its glory. Glad I went when I did and will go back one of these days, but it won't be for awhile, thank goodness
This has been my biggest concern. I keep hearing that there has been some serious winter kill. I know that things have been tough out there and I really do not want to burn my point to take my riffle on a horseback trip. This is why we were thinking of going in 25/26, we are hoping that there would be some rebound to the herds. If all else fails we will keep putting in for points and maybe move over to an elk hunt. We have the same amount of points for the elk and antelope also.

If your hoping to hunt a rebound in the number of bucks in an older age class in western Wyoming than you need to project the years out to 28, 29,or 2030 and hope for no more than average winters. There will not be any more bucks in 25/26 than what is on the mountain right now. A buck born in 24 will only be 2 the fall of 26. This recover is going to take 15 to 20 years if we're lucky. Many of those 2 and 3 yr old bucks seen this year will be in sausage casings by fall of 26. By 2030 you could have another 6 pref points built up if you hunt this year where the winterkill wasn't so bad. Do you're research, lots of places in Wyoming didn't get hit as hard as western Wyoming like g h and k did.

15 to 20 years? ok :rolleyes:
Yup.... Only took the Wyoming Range deer herd 20 yrs (2013) to get back up to the mid 30,000 level after the 1993 winter where it stayed till this last winter. That was after it was over 50,000. Above average winters every 5 to 6 years or so knocks them back down, then dry years, wet years, avg winters, dry winters, too many NR hunters, too many residents hunters...bla bla bla bla... Or maybe these wet spring cycles hold and the deer herd explodes like it did in the 50's and 60's with all the great vegetation, then the severe winters in 1971 & 1973 hit. About 20 year cycles to get back to peak populations...historically proven.. So yeah..., if you're waiting for that 'rebound' to hit, 5 to 10 years, but it still won't be at the populations we we're in 2022. And SS!....here's the best part as according to Dr. Monteith, those wet lush springs after average winters when the does are still fat come March and the fawns are born that spring will ALL have the biggest antlers in 5 years. 200 class deer everywhere...that's what they say...can you imagine...gotta be true...right? :)

Yup.... Only took the Wyoming Range deer herd 20 yrs (2013) to get back up to the mid 30,000 level after the 1993 winter where it stayed till this last winter. That was after it was over 50,000. Above average winters every 5 to 6 years or so knocks them back down, then dry years, wet years, avg winters, dry winters, too many NR hunters, too many residents hunters...bla bla bla bla... Or maybe these wet spring cycles hold and the deer herd explodes like it did in the 50's and 60's with all the great vegetation, then the severe winters in 1971 & 1973 hit. About 20 year cycles to get back to peak populations...historically proven.. So yeah..., if you're waiting for that 'rebound' to hit, 5 to 10 years, but it still won't be at the populations we we're in 2022. And SS!....here's the best part as according to Dr. Monteith, those wet lush springs after average winters when the does are still fat come March and the fawns are born that spring will ALL have the biggest antlers in 5 years. 200 class deer everywhere...that's what they say...can you imagine...gotta be true...right? :)
wow, you over explained that one. so where should the OP burn his points?

I'm really not sure there is as good answer for you guys. It is going to be a long time and no one really knows how long it'll be in western Wyoming. Here in eastern Wyoming, the best outfitters are full and pretty much stay that way. I do not know when we might have openings for mule deer because we give our returning clients first choice on those hunts. I have other outfitter friends that are now booking for 2028 with higher prices and they won't hold a place unless a good deposit is in place.

And there are not really many other good options for mule deer. Colorado is not what it was. Utah, Nevada and Arizona are hard as heck to draw. Montana doesn't have many quality options due to management strategy and Idaho is over hunted on most units, too. It's a tough world for mule deer right now.

Best advice I could give you is to find a quality outfitter in eastern Wyoming and get on a list for their hunts. The deer are in better shape here and there are some quality bucks on well managed outfits.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom