Looking for some good readin'

yorkhunter

Hello all, this time of year I get extremely bored and wish hunting would never end. Looking for some good hunting/outdoor reading you may suggest. Not really looking for any how to material. More just looking to keep the mind on hunting, and hell I can always use some good knowledge. Any suggestions out there? Thanks for the ideas in advance...

The Tiger-about tigers killing people in Russia
Shadows of the Koyukuk- AK native/trapper/hunter

Peter Hathaway Capstick put out some good stuff. African hunts from way back in the day, pretty interesting stories from an era gone by.

Not the traditional hunting read but a wild and fascinating book you might enjoy is:

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Author: S. C. Gwynne

Couldn't put it down but then I read everything I can get my hands on about North American peoples.

DC
"Road Blocker Extraordinaire" and "All Those Other Things"

Would question the designation of most powerful....but it is a good book.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Just the copy and paste text from Amazon. Wasn't trolling for another IDIOT label but I guess some will find a reason if they're looking for it. Practiced critics rarely miss an opportunity, be it big or small, just seem driven and dutiful to correct us all.

Sorry to have caused a stir over your simple request for a good read yorkster!

DC
"Road Blocker Extraordinaire" & "And All Those Other Things" & "Controversial Cut and Paster"

Civil War..."Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara

Packing and hunting... "Horses, Hitches, and Rocky Trails" by Joe Back

Africa... "The Lion Hunter" by Ronaleyn Gordon-Cummings

Dogs, Lions, Bears nd other hunting stories... "Brave and Other Stories" by Steve M. Matthes

Whaling and sea stories... "In the Heart of the Sea" or "Sea of Golry" both by Nathinal Philbrick

or if you really have some time...."Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant

+1 on Capstick books. I think he has like 6-7 books. I have read most of them twice. Very good books.

Thanks for the tip 2Lumpy! I now have it ordered and on the way.

I too read anything and everything i can get my hands on. Right now, i'm in the middle of a pretty good 4 book series titled, "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin. It's a Sci Fic concerning Kings, dragons, and war.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

not really hunting books but lonesome dove will keep you entertained for quite a while. and patrick f. mcmanus has written some books that are good for a laugh.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-11 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]Let me be the first to recommend CJ BOX- he is an award winning author who has a series of novels about Joe Pickett, a Wyoming game warden. His books are all murder mystery that happen in the field. I really enjoy his books. He is an excellent writer with a catchy, unique style and talks a lot about game animals, hunting, and Wyoming. Pick up his first novel in the series and I think you will enjoy the adventures Joe encounters. Another great author to check out is William Kent Krueger. He has a murder mystery/outdoors series about Corcan O'connor. Both of these are great reads that will keep your mind entertained over the long winter.

I'll 2nd the CJ Box books - good stuff.

I also just ready "The Last Grizzly". Interesting collection of stories about grizzly encounters.

i also say Give CJ Box a try. I have read most of his novels. They are pretty good. A little hoakey though. If you read The Joe Pickett ones make sure you start witht the first one!

Death in the Long Grass by Capstick is a must read. Best hunting book I've ever read, by far.

The Tsavo book is also very good.

The thing with a CJ Box story is that almost everyone, except the main character, will die a gruesome death.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! Looks like I will have some good reading for a while.
Not a hunting book, but a great book IMO is: One Second After by: William R. Forstchen. I liked it it a lot, then followed it up with, which I am currently reading, Light's Out by: David Crawford.
Both great books, and really get your mind working. Keep them coming if you have any more to share! Much appreciated!

"We Were Soldiers Once......And Young"
LT. Gen. Harold Moore and Joe Galloway

Incredible story, 1000 x's better than the movie. I have read it 4 times now and every time I read it I pick up a little something I miss before.

Everyone needs to read Lonesome Dove at least once. I think Ive read it at least 5 times. The recommendation for Killer Angels is a good one. I recently read a non-fiction book about the early days of the Mississippi River and it's role in the settlement of the Midwest. I loved it.

>Everyone needs to read Lonesome Dove
>at least once. I
>think Ive read it at
>least 5 times. The
>recommendation for Killer Angels is
>a good one. I
>recently read a non-fiction book
>about the early days of
>the Mississippi River and it's
>role in the settlement of
>the Midwest. I loved
>it.

Oops, forgot the name the book. It's called Wicked River.

>>>>Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History

Author: S. C. Gwynne<<<<

plus about a million , i read it and then read it again ,,,, was a outstanding book

Robert Ruark

Jack O Connor

Ernest Hemingway

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy is a powerful book, but spectacularly violent.

J.A. Hunter, Pondoro
If that doesn't stir your blood, nothing will...

I would also second Robert Ruark. Don't forget good old Teddy Roosevelt. And Bob Marshall (Yes, the MT wilderness is named after him) wrote a great book about the Gates of the Arctic in Alaska early last century.

Bill

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold.

This is by far the best book I have ever read. An absolute must read for any outdoorsman.

Not really hunting related but kinda, The Hunger Games. My wife got me reading these and I have really been enjoying them. I am on book two out of the three.

Capstick is awesome!

Lots of good ideas here. Looks like I am going to have to pick me up some CJ Box.

One other I would recommend is "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Hunting" by Frank Miniter.

Very easy read and pretty educational at the same time.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

If you like Lonesome Dove, try Comanche Moon, and Dead Mans Walk. both by Larry McMurtry, and both about Gus and Call.
The Loop. by Nicholas Evans, is another good one.

I am sure you would really enjoy any of the Charles Sheldon books for true Northern old time hunting and exploring experience. The originals are pricey but I once bought the whole reproduction set at a fair price. Wonderful reading-

Not hunting books, but I've just finished two very good books written by Navy SEALS. One is The Heart and the Fist, by Eric Greitens, and the other is Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Both are excellent books, and should be read by anyone who truly cares about those people who fight for our freedom.

I have enjoyed reading, the Open Season series by C.J. Box.
He writes about a Game Warden in Montana, Wyoming

Horn of the Hunter, by Ruark my all time fav. Chuck Adams, Life at full draw is worth reading. How about 1st and 2nd Kings in the Bible, David was one tough son of a gun! BH1

Lone Survivor is a awesome true story about the now second deadliest day in Navy Seal History and how he survived.

Second is anything by Clive Cussler. Especially the Oregon Series. He has like 20 or more books. Every book is awesome and great for winter or anytime reading.

Non-Hunting Books - I love the Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter. Great books!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

There have been some great suggestions. I made a list to check a bunch of them out myself. Personally I like:
-Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell -- this book will extremely anger you & make you very proud to be an American
-Wildlife Wars by Terry Grosz -- True stories of his career as a California game warden and also his career with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife - all of his books are very entertaining
-Joe Pickett novels by C.J. Box -- actually all of Box's books are enjoyable if you can get past the corniness of them in the first couple Pickett novels.
-Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher -- excellent book, no book better states how I feel when I am alone in the mountains or captures the reasons of why I hunt
-books by Tom Brown Jr. -- he is a semi-famous tracker, he has written quite a few books detailing his life growing up in the woods and learning his views on nature and how to track from an Apache. There is a lot of opinions on whether or not his experiences were real, but either way it is an interesting viewpoint & read.

Jubal Sackett- by Louis Lamour
Hunting Trips of a Ranchman- Teddy Roosevelt
Hell I Was There- Elmer Keith
Any Mari Sandoz book
Hunting the American West- Boone&Crockett book
I like Tom Clancy books

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-11 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]If you enjoy reading Peter Capstick, I would also highly recommend Jim Corbett's, Man Eaters of Kumaon. His personal account of tracking down man-eating tigers and leopards in the jungles of India.

Another great book, fiction, but still worth a read if your into the fur trade history. Very light reading, fast paced and interesting. I'm not much for fiction but some leave a mark, this one did.

The Big Sky by A. B. Guthrie, Jr.

Amazon's Tag Line: The Big Sky is the first of A. B. Guthrie Jr.'s epic adventure novels set in the American West. Here he introduces Boone Caudill, Jim Deakins, and ##### Summers: traveling the Missouri River from St. Louis to the Rockies, these frontiersmen live as trappers, traders, guides, and explorers. The story centers on Caudill, a young Kentuckian driven by a raging hunger for life and a longing for the blue sky and brown earth of big, wild places. Caught up in the freedom and savagery of the wilderness, Caudill becomes an untamed mountain man.

DC

2lumpy, naw, i'm still on that George Martin "Game oF Thrones" 4 book set. Just now starting the forth book, about a thousand pages each one. Your recommended is next though, i'll let you know how i liked it.

I also picked up, "Working on the edge" that one about crab fishing.

Speaking of which, one of my good buddies up here dropped off 4 big Dungeness for me this afternoon. He had driven over to the Coast and went out crabbin with a buddy of his. Yesterday, The first pot they pulled had 40 in it, they picked the best 15 and omly pulled up one more pot to finish their limits. Best crab i ever had!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

"Brules" by Harry Combs is awesome, lot of comanche hunting. If you like Louis Lamour or Lonesome Dove read Brules.

C.J. Box Books are a little cheesy but fun/quick reads, never had one more than a couple nights without finishing.

It is on the green side, but I really enjoyed "The Loop" by Nicholas Evans.

Ruarks "Horn of the Hunter" was awesome. Reading it I realized the quote "use enough gun" which is often attributed to Ruark himself, is actually from Ruarks first PH the awesome Harry Selby. What an amazing adventure his first safari was.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom