Looking for taxidermist near Montrose

Big Horn Taxidermy

1720 6450 Rd
Montrose, CO 81401-8811
Phone: (970) 249-7881

This is the only guy that I would let touch any Elk or Mule deer of mine. Top quality work.

Take a look at Brumfield Taxidermy located in Clifton. He has done a lot of taxidermy work for my family and friends and does an excellent job. Greg Brumfield can be found on the web at www.brumfieldtaxidermy.com. His contact information is on his web-page. Good Luck.

Greg Brumfield is truely one of the best taxidermists I know when it comes to a competition piece (he is one my personal friends), but if you want a truely beautiful, clean mount that has everything put into it(heart and sole). I would go with Precision Taxidermy, 3265 E Road Clifton Co. Matt at Precision puts out tons of great work and I would not take my trophies to anyone else.

If Greg is one of the best taxis you know, why would you take it to Precision? Matt's work is nowhere near the level of Greg's.

Greg has gotten to the point in his career in his life that if it is not a 230" muledeer he will let his cronies do the work. If you look at the 208" typical he did for Jerry of Jerry's Outdoor Sports it is definitely not some of his best work and he did it. Like I said if he is taking it to one of his competitions it will be truely awesome, but if not it wont. Matt does some of the best work, very clean and good work for pushing almost 400 shoulder mounts a year out the door not counting everything else. Another great taxidermist is Barrett Rowles of Grand Mesa Taxidermy. All three of these guys are friends and have learned techniques from each other and worked with each other. Matt is my choice because he is easy to work with and will try anything I ask when it comes to producing a mount that is not going to be like everyone elses. A very good taxidermist.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-09 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]Matt has employees too, and how else would he crank out 400 gameheads a year?

As far as competition goes, if a guy can be runner up National Champion with a gamehead, don't you think that ability carries back to commercial pieces? Matt has never even competed, yet you think his commercial quality is better than a guy that wins out at shows? Greg won first place, Best of Category in the masters this year at the Colorado show, beating out competitors from CO, WY, and UT.

Greg is an NTA judge, and arguably the best mammal taxi in the state of CO. Matt is just another taxidermist, cranking out $400 deerheads...

Yes he has one employee and it is not me. I must know you if you know Greg so well, I've known Greg since 1998 when he moved here and bought out Rick. I have worked in his shop for two years and I truely like Greg as a person and a taxidermist. I am just giving you my opinion as an outside person. Greg did a hybrid buck for my cousin in 2001 because I sent him there and I will tell you right now that the mounts in my house done by Matt over the past several years are much better then my cousins buck and you could ask him. Have you been in Matt's shop in awhile, he has come a very long ways since he opened in 1994. I have two exceptional mounts in my house done in Greg's shop by Barret Rowles and as I said they are awesome but do not have the extras Matt puts into my mounts now.

And so you know Matts shoulder mounts for a deer are 575.00 and Greg's are 1200.00. If I pay Greg 1200.00 for a deer it had better be as good as the piece he took to the National Championships. Niether of the guys have that kind of time to put into the animals as Greg puts into a competition piece when they are putting out commercial work, but I will tell you when Matt and I get together to mount my animals we will go in and spend a whole day on it and baby it until it is dry to make sure it is the way I want it, the costumer.

The last bear rug I had Greg do for me took two years and it was even a closed mouth and I was not impressed, I sold it for 450.00.

Now I did not get on her to put Greg down by any means, I just thought I would give you guys my opinion from what I have seen.

I watched Greg mount his hybrid muledeer and he actually took his european head and put clay on it to rebuild and sculpt muscle and attached it to the life size mannequin. It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen, truley awesome. He just does not put that effort into the average persons stuff.

Just my 2 cents!

Better check again because I highly doubt Greg charges $1200 for a deer head mount.

>Now I did not get on
>her to put Greg down
>by any means,

Well, that is exactly what you have done. You have made a lot of broad statements, stating Greg's commercial work is not good, but he does a nice comp piece. You obviously don't understand taxidermy, or you would know there isn't a lot of difference between comp and commercial. Anatomy, alignment of hair patterns, symmetry, etc, all need to be present in both.

On a side note, I am not trying to tear down Matt's work, I am defending Greg's. I have seen Matt's work, and I thought it was average commercial work, on par with the other guys around Junction that also charge $400-something for a deer. I do have to ask, how does Matt "pour his heart and soul" into his work, when he is cranking out 400 pieces a year, and with only one employee? Sounds like a production shop...

Thanks everyone for the feedback on taxidermists in Montrose area. Sounds like some very capable professionals doing some very good work there. Good luck on your hunts and stay safe.

"On a side note, I am not trying to tear down Matt's work, I am defending Greg's. I have seen Matt's work, and I thought it was average commercial work, on par with the other guys around Junction that also charge $400-something for a deer."
4000fps how is it you know what the other Junction guys work is like? Have you been to all their shops?
I have competed also and yes some of the things will transfer into the commercial work but not all.
I have also talked with several people that use to use Greg and they have since found others because of the lack of consistency between pieces.

Bert Belgardt- Bighorn Taxidermy Fred Penasa- Southwest Taxidermy Kim Hussong- Cedar Creek Taxidermy. All three of these guys do exceptional work and they are all actually in Montrose. The best you could say about anyone else is that they are as good. I have had work done from all of them and you will not be disappointed.

>4000fps how is it you know
>what the other Junction guys
>work is like? Have you
>been to all their shops?

Not hard to know when they leave brochures at Sportsmans, listing their prices. I grabbed three brochures, and all of them were charging in the $400's.

>I have competed also and yes
>some of the things will
>transfer into the commercial work
>but not all.

Really, what doesn't transfer over? alignment of hair patterns, correct anatomy of earbutts, proper eye work (shape, lid thickness, depth/angle), finish work?

Same old story, all the average taxidermists and their friends, try to tear down the taxidermist that wins at shows, gives seminars, judges competitions, and thus gets to charge a higher price for his services. Funny part is, Greg is a very humble guy, and doesn't bad mouth his competition.

>Really, what doesn't transfer over? alignment
>of hair patterns, correct anatomy
>of earbutts, proper eye work
>(shape, lid thickness, depth/angle), finish
>work?
How about the hours put into that comp. piece, baby sitting every little detail. An average commercial Deer shoulder mount has 12-15 hrs of labor into it where as the comp. piece will have 3-4 times that much easily. No way you are going to do the finish work the same if you are trying to win masters. Sorry to pop your bubble. Also not every judge judges the same, (they are suppose to), so competition is not an absolute either.
>
>Same old story, all the average
>taxidermists and their friends, try
>to tear down the taxidermist
>that wins at shows, gives
>seminars, judges competitions, and thus
>gets to charge a higher
>price for his services. Funny
>part is, Greg is a
>very humble guy, and doesn't
>bad mouth his competition.

I was not bad mouthing Greg or his work, he has achieved a lot higher status than I have but no one should compare competition work to commercial work you maybe heading for disappointment.
Also there are a lot of very good taxidermists that don't compete.
Really it should be the responsibility of every hunter to check out work from several taxidermists and get to know them. Some one may recommend a certain shop and you may not get along with them or you may notice things that you do not like. Price is always a factor as is lead time and personality. Don't try to cut corners but look at the work they do and decide if you are comfortable with all the above.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom