Looking to Move to Montana

B

bigbullhunter

Well guys I was talking with the wife the other night about moving out of state and the Subject of moving to montana came up. My question is where is a good place to move to in montana I have been thinking Billings and Butte areas but just not sure what to do. If you fellow Montanans can help out I would sure appreciate it. All input is welcome.

BigBullHunter

Billings, Butte, Bozeman and Great Falls all are located close to great hunting and fishing. Not much else to do in Montana. You got to be an outside person to enjoy it.

Billings is the biggest city, after that I would look to Bozeman or Missoula. Can't go wrong with any of the 3, I'd stay away from Butte though.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-05 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-05 AT 12:40?PM (MST)

If you are looking to buy a house in the Bozeman area, bring a lot of $ with you.

Your profile says Logan, UT. Based on a quick look at houses on realtor.com for Logan UT, expect to pay up to double in Bozeman for what you have there.

Houses are cheap in Butte in comparison to the other towns people have suggested. But then again, it is Butte.

Montana sucks, don't move there... ;)

If it was me... and its not... The first thing I would do is find a job. The barrel isn't running over so to speak with good paying jobs. Thats why 75% of college grads leave the state.

Second would be to not live in Butte :) But you won't find much in the way of a job there anyway.

Pretty much all the "cities" have something to offer in the way of work and housing if you can be patient. I think I would pick in this order, Bozeman, Missoula, Helena, Kallispell, Great Falls, and then Billings last. Billings woudn't be that bad, but its kind of an ugly town IMO and a long drive to hunt elk... well longer.

Good luck with your quest!

Bigbullhunter, Ill sell you a small fixer upper house approx 75 miles North of Great Falls for cheap. $15,000.00 this week. (Trying to pay for an AK moose hunt.) Not much work up there but if you like to hunt or fish its a great spot. It would also be a great vacation home/hunting getaway. Bittersweet

BigBullHUnter,

What do you do for a living? I live in Cnetral Western Wyoming and have more jobs than people to fill them at our company, natural gas development. Get's cold here to, but it keeps the city folk away. A little pricy here in Pinedale, but can find afforable housing around.

bkhunter

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-05 AT 03:13PM (MST)[p]Yea, you could move to pinedale and work in the gas fields so that when you retire you can hunt rocks and brush as all the great deer hunting will have vanished! Those gas fields will spell the end of a once great mule deer herd!

I know, a man as to make a living, but that herd WAS one of the best. Oh well. . .

I agree, find a job first. I've seen a good number of people just like you who think montana's the place to be until they get here and run out of money. If youre rich, or have very marketable skills, try missoula, or Bozeman. . . Great towns and there is opportunity for work. What do you do anyhow? What are your skills?

The house is on a few "city" lots in the town of Galata (Just North of Tiber reservour) Its not much of a "city" or a "town" for that matter. Mabey 50 people? I bought it last winter to fix up and resell but never made it up there to do any work on it yet (Im about 300 miles away)It needs mostly cosmetics, has power and water (comes with water rights) to property. Very neat area. Bittersweet

Oh, that's just down the road Lothair. LOL I live in East Glacier. Just wonderd. I'll put the word out maybe there's someone arround browning, cutbank area that would like a place to stay when they are on tiber catching wallies. . .

I was in the construction biz until I got layed off due to the snow here in the cache valley. been looking to relocate out of logan. I am begining to hate this place. how far is pinedale from here? Yes I am looking for work so maybe we could work something out.

BBH

Being FROM there, I can only say that any job you get will be less than ten bucks an hour. Born and raised on the hi-line, but had to leave to make a decent living for my family. Great fishing, hunting, and friends for a lifetime, but I could not suffer the same struggles as my parents did. I had a great job, but tripled my income by moving 650 miles west doing the same thing. I am stingy anyway, so I found a nice place here in Central Washington that did not break the bank. Now, it is NOT Montana, but I go back enough to get my fill. I do miss it terribly in the fall, but have gotten used to mild winters, decent summers and a robust economy. I get to send my kids to college and go hunt/fish Montana. My two cents. That said, I am not a total dream stealer, so what kind of construction are in? Underground or vertical? I may be able to help you out. BTW, if there are 50 people in Galata, I will eat my Chester State Championship 8-Man football cap, circa 1998!! God Bless and Good Luck.

Sure there are jobs in Pinedale right now, but there is hardly any place left to live. You better be well off or rich to go there now. I lived there for 23 years, from '77 on, tripled my money on my home (in Cora) and left. And yes, I miss it.

My place is for sale, you should buy it. Im selling cuz im moving from missoula to hamilton. Just got it appraised and selling it for $385k. Prices are high here, huh.

We live next to the river and 4 sections of state land loaded with deer and some elk and moose. Have had bears in the field twice this year.

Heres the ad.

Five beautiful irrigated acres north of Florence, bring your horses! 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1910 sq ft custom home built in 2002. Hickory floors and cabinets, vaulted ceiling, jetted tub. End of road privacy, walk to Bitterroot River. Easy 20 min drive to Missoula. FSBO, 273-4621.

Information can be a dnagerous thing. The oil and gas industry do more for wildlife conservation in Wyoming then the Wolf lovers and tree huggers could ever imagine. Wolves, harsh winters, drought, developement, retirees, and numerous videos sold to the mass showing huge deer on wintering ground are all responsible for declining numbers. Deer herds fluctuate as seen in Colorado. Trophy deer numbers were way down in CO due to over hunting, drought, developement, etc. Not just one cause, but a culmination of many. Co is seeing some of the biggest deer taken in recent history and the oil and gas developement is skyrocketing in the state! Who would of thunk that? Considering we have just about climbed out of a drought here in Western WY, we could very well be on our way to premium deer again. There are premium deer around, but one must remove there cushy body part from the seat of the Quad and put some use to those $150 a pair boots. I didn't even want to get into the "Wyoming G&F Sponsored Slaughter of Does". Kill a doe and effectly take generations out of the herd.

Okay, my post has nothing to do with moving to Montana because I moved here to get away from most people.

I have to comment on bkhunter's post on how natural gas and oil development somehow equates to high a quality hunting experience.

Are you smoking crack? Please tell us how higher road densities, habitat fragmentation, increased human activity, lowered water quality, noise pollution, air pollution, soil disturbance, increased exotic weed invasion equates to improved hunting opportunity.

I understand, when an individuals wallet is threatned, a guy tends to get defensive. However, don't for one second think by poking ever more holes into virgin country, America is going to be independent of foreign oil and gas. More holes does not equate to .98 cents a gallon gas. The gas and oil industry is currently making a killing on the backs of Americans. They have so much cash, they need to invest in more oil and gas development to liquidate cash and invest in infrastructure that will not lower your montly bill. We as a country really need to take a look at our lifestyles and decide what is more important, a future where I can take my kid on a hunt where we can walk more than a mile without hitting a road or where we are okay with more development. We have developed over 90% of our country...can we save a little wild country?

Did you know, in the lower 48 states you can't walk more than 25 miles in one direction without crossing a road! That's it, 25 miles. A good long day, but a day none the less....

WildMt, Sure you can, yes, in one direction too, without crossing a road. That is, as long as youre walking down it! Bittersweet

bkhunter-
does that mean it not going to cost more to heat my home this year?????????/
gasoline or natrual gas your right!
If the Fed's dozed New Orleans in to the gulf and built and gas refinerie their and put the fine brothers and sistas to work with great pay what would shell,texaco,bp,cheveron,etc do without the hold on us?
The Fed's would make BILLIONS and gas would be a buck a gallon! Hell SAUDI's would pay for it.....and our goverment said no!
jack

back to the post.... Well guys I was talking with the wife the other night about moving out of state and the Subject of moving to montana came up. My question is where is a good place to move to in montana I have been thinking Billings and Butte areas but just not sure what to do. If you fellow Montanans can help out I would sure appreciate it. All input is welcome.
BigBullHunter

If I could do it, it would be Helena, Bozeman, or back home to the hi-line. Best locals to secure a decent job and be relatively close to fishin' & huntin'.

DesertSheep is exactly right. I am originally from Logan
and had a job offer in Bozeman a few years back. It was a great
company, better pay and I even had my wifes approval.

I then started looking at houses. I couldn't find anything and
decided to stay in Utah. I am glad I did. But that is besides
the point. Definately look at the housing market. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom