Looks like the first wolf is down!!!!

Congrats. to the hunter..
I wonder how the pelt looked? I'm going to wait until atleast mid Oct. before i get serious about blasting one.
But if one just happens to get in my crosshairs before then,
BANG!!!!!

I saw a pic today. Big black one, but the hide didn't look exceptionally great. Nonetheless, I will kill its brother or sister this weekend if given the chance.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 08:40AM (MST)[p]what is the average number of elk eaten per year per wolf? we should have an elk saved page!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]I think I have read a few times, an elk a week per pack. I'm sure somewhat less when the ground is dry and more when the snow is deep. I do know they will kill more than they can eat when the opportunity arises, but I doubt that is too often.

When they really pressure the elk I think there are other losses due to poor nutrition in the forms of winter kill and lost pregnancies.

I saw two on saturday the 3rd but wasn't packing my rifle, and my buddy missed a young one this morning sounds like...

Anybody got any pictures? We are planning a wolf hunt late NOV into the Lochsa with snowmobiles...

Mike

seen a whole pack 150 yards away 3 days before the opener but went back up there and didn't see or hear any.

3966wolfs_and_truck_002.jpg

9601wolfs_and_truck_001.jpg

Just doesn't look right to see big dogs running around the forest.

I must say though, seeing wolves is quite the experience. It's amazing how quick they cover country. I remember the summer before the first wolf season we had 2 young wolves cut at least a 1.5 mile basin to show up 50 yards down the trail from our horses in no more than 7 minutes after mouth calling them.

I'll certainly have a tag in hand for my cow hunt in unit 44 this November.

I've read the number is more like 1 elk per wolf per week, not per pack. Packs can vary a ton. I know in the drainage I hunt in Nidaho the pack had 17 in it last year (which the all knowing fish and game denies any packs that large even after seeing a pic). The driud pack in the lamar valley was up to 37 a few years ago and has since dropped.

They do cover some ground in a HURRY! And they don't fear anything... Their body language is pure confidence... watched two wolves last year work through a freshly cut wheat field up in 11A and it was kind of eerie watching them trot back and forth working where just minutes before two muley does had passed.

It gave me goose bumps after they went into the brush i howled out the window and the whole canyon just lit up there was like6 to 9 wolves ten minutes before dark it is eerie when you dont have a gun!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-11 AT 03:41PM (MST)[p]I wonder how long the howling thing is going to work for them... Anybody try using a foxpro or anything yet?

Mike

>I've read the number is more
>like 1 elk per wolf
>per week, not per pack.
> Packs can vary a
>ton. I know in
>the drainage I hunt in
>Nidaho the pack had 17
>in it last year (which
>the all knowing fish and
>game denies any packs that
>large even after seeing a
>pic). The driud pack
>in the lamar valley was
>up to 37 a few
>years ago and has since
>dropped.

Actually the Druid pack is GONE, not dropped. While wolves success clearly varies with weather, winter being their best time, if the state has 1000 wolves and they kill an elk a week per wolf that would be 1000 wolves x 52 weeks = 52000 dead elk a year. Wolves are good but not that good. I know they can get elk in deep snow parks and kill many at a time, but that is more the exception than the rule success wise. I'm sure they would kill every elk they can catch.

>I hope all of you guys
>hunting Idaho will have a
>wolf tag or two in
>your pocket, just in case!
>
>
>
>BC

GO to www.lobowatch.com and see how these terriosts were introduced and the grunge the can inflict on humans.

If I make it over to Idaho after my WY elk hunt I'll be buying a wolf tag for sure. Glad them made them $31.75 for non-residents. Montana could learn a lesson here.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-11 AT 05:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-11 AT 05:21?PM (MST)

Thank you to all the hunters that have filled a wolf tag. Good luck to all the deer and elk hunters. It will be interesting to see how many tags get filled this year, hopefully we meet the quota and them some.

BC

Anybody see the BS the "living with wolves" organization has put in the last page of this weeks (oct. 5-11) Boise weekly.

My son was in the midle of ranging a small whitetail buck for my friend last week in N Idaho. My friend was looking at the buck through his scope and my son wasn't responding. My friend said..."what's the range" My son responded "Wolf". My friend said..."what's the range" My son responded "wolf". About that time my friend turned around to see my son prone on the ground looking into the timber through his scope. A large near white wolf loped through about 300 yards away but never stopped long enough to get a shot. Damn... No wolf and no deer either.

My son said that a whitetail doe was standing and watched the wolf lope by. It stared like they do at a coyote, but never ran. The wolf paid it no attention and kept moving.

I can't wait to start chukar hunting with my 25-06 on my back and I hope to run into the same pack that hung out in my bird spot last year. My silver bullet will be waiting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom