Loss of a wonderful man!

antlerrick

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 00:18AM (MST)[p]Today I lost my 2nd father. 41 years ago this week, my mother married him after I lost my first dad. He has been there for my family since and took the responsibility of raising myself and 5 siblings. He made it a point to take us fishing when we were young, and then got involved in hunting when he seen the love and desire I had for the sport my father instilled in me at a young age. He had never hunted a lot but made it a point to spend every minute he could with me when I went hunting. He was fortunate enough to draw 2 LE elk permits, and a buffalo permit over the years, and I got to spend some great moments with him then. He took time from his schedule and spent time with me on my LE hunts over the years when nobody else was able to go. He was always there to help everyone no matter what was going on. He had his first heart problems 27 years ago, and then had more surgery in 1999 when they determined that only half of his heart was working, and all the LE hunts we have shared have been since then. He had a LE late elk permit on the Pahvant last season and worked his butt off to the point I thought he would collapse then.
And then a month ago he spent a week with me on my Henry's deer hunt. We had such a wonderful week and he had 3 of his sons and 2 grandson's there with him. I can see why the hunt was so wonderful now...
Here is the smile that he always wore and the joy that he had sharing time with us...
Love you dad!

4117img_3742.jpg

Myself, my dad, and my son after my harvest..

9634flamgorge1.jpg

Our Flaming Gorge trip and dad's 38 lb lunker! Pure joy!

Sorry to hear about your dad. He sounds like a great man. My prayers and thoughts go out to your family. Thats a hunt you will never forget.

What a great man, I'm glad you go to share many years filled with great times together. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Sorry to hear about your Dad antlerrick!

The time spent in the Outdoors with Family & Friends will never be deducted from ones Life!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Sorry to hear the sad news Rick, that's unfortunate. Glad to hear you guys were able to spend so much time on good hunts the past bunch of years though.

~Z~

A VERY NICE TRIBUTE TO YOUR POP, .....ALL WE CAN REALLY DO IS CELEBRATE ALL OF THE YEARS OF HIS LIFE & REMEMBER ALL THE GREAT TIMES YOU HAD OVER THE YEARS.......SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS........YD.

Few things in life are more painful than the loss of a dad. Cherrish the memories you have of time spent with your father and continue to make great memories with your son.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Slick

Dang Rick, that breaks my heart. Sounds likea great father and example. My thoughts are with your family.

Yelum

Not much I can add to heal that hole in your heart.
Keep his love alive in memories and pass it on to future generations.
So painful is the loss of a man like that.
Make him proud.
HH

condolences to you and your family.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Rick..... What a wonderful way to remember your Father... Good to see the relationship you and he had while he was alive and that there were no regrets left on the table with his passing... You will be sharing hunts in the future in a better place.... My condolences to you and your family.... Your Dad was a good man and lived his life right!!...... Terry

It takes a great man to step into the shoes of fatherhood and fill em up especially when they aren't his own children but turns around and makes them his both in his mind and the kids'. My dad did it about 45 years ago for my older brother and sister and later had another sis and me and he has loved us all the same.

SO SORRY for your loss and God bless you and yours in these tough times.

Bill

Anterrick, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your stepdad was a great guy and I am also sure that he passed on all of his good qualities to you to pass on to your son.

Rick, now is the time to remember all the GREAT times that you had with your Dad. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Bev and the kids at this time!!

I LOVE the picture of him and that Fish...I remember when you guys went on that trip and the fun times you said that you had. You will always have those memories and thank goodness for that as he will NEVER be forgotten.

If there is anything you guys need...just let us know!

Jason

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Like anyone who passes we sruggle with our emotions and wear them on our sleeves. It is nice to know of the caring and support we have from friends, family, as well as those we only know thru other associations such as MM's. It makes a tough time much easier when you hear the sincere words of others and you can get strengh from others who have been there before. Thank yous go out to all of you!

So sorry for you and your family. He sounds like a great man. My Father is going to be 80 in January and we have not been close for many yrs. Makes me want to call him and take him hunting next fall, like he did for me when I was young. I think I will

"Do you like Apples ? Well I got her
number, How do you like those Apples !

AR,
Taking your father on all your hunts and wanting him with you and your children was the greatest thanks and tribute to him you could have given. As he watched you share your life with your children, like he shared his with you was his reward for teaching you the outdoors life culture. He most certainly loved you for the time you gave back to him.

What would we do without our great parents and grandparents that taught us the values of wildlife and wild pastures.

At this difficult time of pasting I hope you will find time to celebrate his life and his legacy in you and your family.

DC

Rick, reading this fine tribute to your father tells me a lot about the relationship you have with your children. Love never dies, and it shows in your life. Praying for you in your time of sorrow.

Eel

Rick, it just seems to me you have answered why you are the way YOU are....what a great legacy he passed on to you, and that you have passed on to your children and their grandchildren.

You may not be able to see him again, but he will always be by your side.

My thoughts are with you and Bev.

Pred

I know what it is to lose a caring and loving father. My deepest
condolences to you and your family. I thank God for having given
me my father and for his guiding love.
We will always be blessed with the memories of our father's and
continue life in their honor. God bless you and may your father
RIP.

ELDORADO

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-10 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]Muleycrazy....go do your thing! You will never regret it.
When he first became my dad, he wasn't a "hunter" or a "fisherman" but he wanted really wanted to try to be a "father". I actually taught him how to hunt and fish, which made it easy for me to teach my sons. I think that actually created a different kind of bond between us. He never tried to force me to believe he was my dad, but respected my feelings for my dad, but did help me develop a fatherly love for him.
He turned his life around from many bad habits to a very religious man whose beliefs were a stronghold for our family.
Lisa, yes a legacy has been passed on and on, and hopefully will forever be passed from genereation to generation.
If you want to hear the legacy of my dad, listen to Brad Paisley's
Pretty much tells it all!
His great smile will be missed by all who knew him...

antlerrick,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Words cannot properly express the loss of a good dad.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Rick, thanks for sharing, thanks for the reminder to be thankful for my dad. Some of my favorite memories are hunts and hunting with my dad. God bless you and yours.

Thought I'd post a song!

RIP!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

I lost my grandpa several years ago Rick and he was like a second father to me as well. I spent a lot of time with him and he taught me a lot about hard work and enjoying life. He was a patient and kind man. There is no other place that I feel closer to him than when I am on the mountain. I know he is there walking right beside me and enjoying every minute of it. I'm sure you will find the same type of solitude and peace when you are alone somewhere and it's because your relationship had no regrets. What great memories and legacy that he left behind. Our thoughts are with you my friend.

It's always an adventure!!!

Hey Jim...I appreciate your words and agree with you 100%. Lost my dad-in-law just over a year ago and my fondest memories of him were when we were hunting or just roaming the hills. Every time I go in the mountains I recall times spent with him, and now it will include my dad also. I was so blessed to have him meet and marry my mother and give me a father figure at my young age of 12. I'm sure without a little direction, I could have really missed the boat...
Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

Rick, I'm sorry to read about your loss. Remember him for all the great things that made him special in your life, and those around you. You were very fortunate to share one last hunt with him in such a special place like the Henry Mtns. Cherish the memories.

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-10 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]You have done well to pay your respects to a dad he didn't have to be, as the song goes. Sounds like one hell of a man. Prayers to you and yours.

Rick,

Sorry to hear of your loss. As another poster said he stepped up as a father figure for you and I am sure he would be very proud of you for the tribute you wrote for him. It's difficult to loose a Dad and while we loose them in life we get to keep them in our hearts and our memories.

Jim

My condolences Rick. I'll have to say that though it is great loss for you and your family, it is refreshing for us to hear the fond rememberance of a truly loved one.

Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom