Lowering hunting age

madmoose

Anybody hear anymore news of where this is at? What is everybody take on this?
I am pro. But I could see from 10-12 being with an adult at all times versus alone.

So now a 10 year old can get a big game license? that is great if so, I thought 12 was alittle too old for kids that are raised around hunting, My daughter is 7 and wants too shoot a deer already.... I do hope they put a clause in there that the parent needs too have hunted in the state for 3 consecutive years, before they can mentor a young child out hunting,
Matt

Wack'em and Stack'em

the bill has already been signed. an adult licensed (in the state of Idaho) must accompany any hunter under the age of twelve. 10 is the minimum age to hunt big game.

>When deer numbers are out of
>control I'd support it, more
>than likely won't happen in
>my life time.

It's all about you, right? Instead of providing opportunity, you'd rather limit it for your own good. Nice.

Sorry, I'll take that back, I'd rather kill as many deer as possible when numbers are down. You know what they say about opinions.

My Kids waited until they were 12 for their Idaho opportunity and so have thousands of others. This isn't about good management or giving more opportunity, it's about trying to make more money from poor management.

Great.. more hard to draw tags parents will put their kids in for so they can go shoot it themselves.. don't give me the grip this is all about opportunity for youth. My kids will not hunt until they are 12.. a 10 Year old does not IMO have the maturity to shoot at Elk, Deer, Antelope, Moose, act. Neither do a lot of 12yr olds, but at least it gives them another 2yrs to mature not only mentally, but physically.
Let's face it, this isn't the east where kids hunt over a food plot. This is big country. I dont want a trigger happy 10yr old out in the hills. Granted, there are a lot of adults out screwing around in the hills as well and that alone is frightening enough. Now, they will bring their 10yr olds along.

So the argument will be that it is up to the parents to teach ethics? Haha, ethics... in hunting... I'm laughing because I know of way too many screw balls that have no ethics. I will firmly stand and say I see far more unethical hunting than ethical.

I also agree with more doe's being harvested. We don't have the deer numbers for that.

Hey, maybe they can just give all of the tags up in central Idaho to the youth.. they already took 30 out of 75 tags to youth for elk.

IMO they should have to learn and draw just like the adults do. Or maybe in this everybody wins society we live in, we can just hand kids whatever they want. Give me a break.

I'm teaching my kids to get what you want, you have to earn it. Not have it handed to you. This includes hunting.

I'm glad they did it. I would of loved to have been able to hunt when I was 10. If your really against it and think its gonna decimate the herds you could always quit hunting and save a few that way. I bet the haters wont though.

Sure Its great for the IDFG and the meat hunter doe killer families! So you guys think 10 yo kids will make good choices? You are full of it. They aren't mature enough and they aren't big enough to carry any and most would cut themselves if they skinned or gutted it. Good grief just waiting to see the damages.

I bit my tongue for a bit but had to add my 2 cents.

First of all the number of does killed should be managed by wildlife managers and as a result youth hunters should have no effect on the number of does taken. X number of doe tags offered would be the norm regardless of who gets the tags. Why do ou assume youth hunters are only going to take females?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 10 year old hunting if they can handle a gun safely and make a clean kill. Ultimately under direct supervision of an adult, it is the adult who should be making the decision to shoot or not shoot. I am sorry but my 10 year old daughter will be just fine and I am certain that when as soon as I can I will be taking her to ID to hunt, assuming this is true for NR youth as well. Furthermore I have seen more adults/experienced hunters make poor decisions than I have new hunters working under a mentor. Simply put a new youth hunter, especially age 10 is going to be very timid and virtually afraid of messing up. They will tend to be overly cautious, etc. They are perfect for molding into great hunters and open to suggestions. I also beleive that at age 10 it still allows dads to have a cool factor especially for girls. At 10 years old girls still love daddys and spending a weekend with dad in the woods will be fun. If a guy is lucky they will get the activity normalized before middle school hits and the girls become more worried about friends opinions etc.

Overall it is a great thing and I will be putting myself and my daughter in for ID tags the first she can go!!!

This is not about providing more opportunity. In their own proposal the IDFG referred to the expected increase in revenue by adding another age group of hunters.

More does will be killed because children at that age and their fathers are more interested in getting them their first couple deer than holding out for antlers. The IDFG will have to monitor this and see what the impact is. It may result in closing anterless harvest to youth. Many would support that move but I don't. I think it is important to allow youth hunters to fill a tag if they are going to remain interested into adulthood.

Where the lowered age really gets me is, as has been stated above, the drawing odds will get worse. We're going to see a lot more applicants for trophy hunts that these kids have no understanding or appreciation for, but their fathers will put them in. IDFG already is allowing the transfer of tags from successful adult family members to youth hunters. And if you don't think that grandparents who no longer hunt aren't putting in just to give their grandkids extra chances at tags then you're wrong.

Bottom line, lowering the hunting age to 10 years old is a mistake, or in the very least is a new reality that will take some time to get used to. I don't know if I'll let my sons start hunting at that age or not, I have 4 years left to make that decision for the oldest.

>This is not about providing more
>opportunity. In their own
>proposal the IDFG referred to
>the expected increase in revenue
>by adding another age group
>of hunters.
>
>More does will be killed because
>children at that age and
>their fathers are more interested
>in getting them their first
>couple deer than holding out
>for antlers. The IDFG
>will have to monitor this
>and see what the impact
>is. It may result
>in closing anterless harvest to
>youth. Many would support
>that move but I don't.
> I think it is
>important to allow youth hunters
>to fill a tag if
>they are going to remain
>interested into adulthood.
>
>Where the lowered age really gets
>me is, as has been
>stated above, the drawing odds
>will get worse. We're
>going to see a lot
>more applicants for trophy hunts
>that these kids have no
>understanding or appreciation for, but
>their fathers will put them
>in. IDFG already is
>allowing the transfer of tags
>from successful adult family members
>to youth hunters. And
>if you don't think that
>grandparents who no longer hunt
>aren't putting in just to
>give their grandkids extra chances
>at tags then you're wrong.
>
>
>Bottom line, lowering the hunting age
>to 10 years old is
>a mistake, or in the
>very least is a new
>reality that will take some
>time to get used to.
> I don't know if
>I'll let my sons start
>hunting at that age or
>not, I have 4 years
>left to make that decision
>for the oldest.

So in ID all tags are either sex tags for deer? Or is there a set number of tags for antler less? If there is not set number for antler less deer then that is huge problem in and of itself. How do you manage any population by having unregulated or limited number of females taken. If deer populations are not over objective than an antler less animal should not be an issue as they should not be allowed.

Furthermore, it is not important to me for my daughter to fill her tag and I completely disagree with the idea that I want to fill a tag at all cost. If that was the case I would rather take my money and my time to Texas and hunt over a feeder. We shoot females for meat only and only if we need it in our family or if we have someone who really needs the meat. Sorry but we would never a ya NR tag amount travel etc. to shoot a meat animal. It also comes down to how we hunt. My daughter is growing up seeing my wife and I shooting mature animals and many kids will follow parents lead etc. If ID allows unrest stricter hunting of antler less animals then yes you have an issue, but not because of a person age but because of a poor management issue.

As far as determine when to allow your kids to hunt. That is your choice and decision. However I am always in favor of letting parents decide what is appropriate for the kid and not some number generated by the government. If your boy is big into hunting at age 10 well practiced and able to hunt then why would you not want the choice?

Also how can you tell me that kid can not appreciate a trophy. I have watched several little ones break down in tears, jump up and down in joy etc. heck if anything may appreciate it more as they truly enjoy the hunt and are not about comparing. I have never heard a youth hunter say, ooh his fronts are weak, or he I wished he was a little wider, etc. what. Ames you think that applying for 20 years makes a person any more appreciative of the opportunity?

Sorry soap box off.... I think it is a good choice and could have a big impact on youth hunter recruitment, especially on youth females...

You are under the ASSUMPTION that all parents now days teach ethics and responsible hunting. Fact is, most do not. heck, just look at our entitlement society and tell me we as parents are doing a good job.
I believe our youth should be outdoors and hunting ethically, however doing so under the wing of responsible parents and not the ones doing the shooting.
It is an unfortunate fact kids these days simply do not mature as quickly as the older generations did. I blame it on a lack of responsibility early on in life and lack of parental leadership.
Now, i will argue there are some youth that would be far more mature than some adults, but that number is slim.
I personally do not want a particular large family I know of having the ablitly to take their 10 year olds out in the hills with a loaded weapon. scares the hell out of me.
It is an unfortunate reality that our up and coming youth do not have the maturity as a whole to understand what having a loaded rifle can do. The mature suffer due to the immature. just the way it is.
While you assume parents are like you and will appropriatly teach their 10 year olds, the reality is most will not. It is evident in the 12 year olds and older currently out hunting. Lowering the age will only create more problems in the day in age.

I would be all for it if the mentoring adult forfeited their tag for the youth. One adult tag for one youth tag. Of course if the deer was managed correctly, the youth wouldn't have to shoot a doe or a fawn and I wouldn't have to complain.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Elks 96, to answer your'e question about does Idaho allow the shooting of either sex deer, the answer is no. You can apply for a controlled hunt in specified areas that offer does only, and there are some youth only hunts for Cow Elk and Deer. And as far as lowering the age from twelve to ten, i am totally for it! And no i don't have a huge family, just one grandson that must be abnormal,because he has been taught how to handle a firearm!!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-14 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]>Elks 96, to answer your'e question
>about does Idaho allow the
>shooting of either sex deer,
>the answer is no.
>You can apply for a
>controlled hunt in specified areas
>that offer does only, and
>there are some youth only
>hunts for Cow Elk and
>Deer. And as far as
>lowering the age from twelve
>to ten, i am totally
>for it! And no i
>don't have a huge family,
>just one grandson that must
>be abnormal,because he has been
>taught how to handle a
>firearm!!

BS, you better read your regs a little closer or not assume the whole state is managed like the units you hunt. Plenty of youth otc either sex tags in areas that deer numbers suck. with archery, regular otc hunts then late buck and doe hunts and late either sex archery hunts all in the same units deer don't get to take a breath for 5 months!! Worse than wolves...

I think this is long over due. I am from WA state where there is no minimum age to hunt. If you can pass the test you can hunt. But anyone under the age of 14 must hunt with an adult. I passed and started hunting when I was 9 years old. It makes no sense to me that if you can pass the test you can not hunt because you are to young.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

I'm sure this is all about the revenue from that all important 10-12 age bracket. Must by why kids fish for free till they are 14. This must be about adding to the hordes of 12 year olds who overran me on the mountain last year. No, that was Wahooz.

This is about giving parents two more years to hunt with their kids. This is about providing parents an opportunity to hook their kids on the outdoors rather than facebook. Are we really crying about 10 year olds shooting deer and making less opportunity for the rest of us? Idaho can't even sell all its OOS deer tags! Every young hunter who gets hooked on hunting will be buying a hunting license for the rest of his/her life. That's how you ensure hunting opportunities will be there for the future.

These kids still have to take a hunter education course and hunt with an adult. I'm sure some of these adults will be morons and some will abuse the system. They abuse the system now. I have a hard time making policy based on the idea that the majority are morons and the state knows best. That's California thinking. My guess is that parents who take the time and effort to take a 10 year old hunting will produce the kind of ethical and responsible hunters this state needs.

>I'm sure this is all about
>the revenue from that all
>important 10-12 age bracket.
>Must by why kids fish
>for free till they are
>14. This must be about
>adding to the hordes of
>12 year olds who overran
>me on the mountain last
>year. No, that was
>Wahooz.
>
>This is about giving parents two
>more years to hunt with
>their kids. This is
>about providing parents an opportunity
>to hook their kids on
>the outdoors rather than facebook.
> Are we really crying
>about 10 year olds shooting
>deer and making less opportunity
>for the rest of us?
> Idaho can't even sell
>all its OOS deer tags!
> Every young hunter who
>gets hooked on hunting will
>be buying a hunting license
>for the rest of his/her
>life. That's how you
>ensure hunting opportunities will be
>there for the future.
>
>These kids still have to take
>a hunter education course and
>hunt with an adult.
>I'm sure some of these
>adults will be morons and
>some will abuse the system.
> They abuse the system
>now. I have a
>hard time making policy based
>on the idea that the
>majority are morons and the
>state knows best. That's
>California thinking. My guess
>is that parents who take
>the time and effort to
>take a 10 year old
>hunting will produce the kind
>of ethical and responsible hunters
>this state needs.

Thats what this law was intended to do, thanks PrE-64 for the insight!

Exactly... Do you really think it will change things that much? If the kid has DB patents and will ruin hunting at 10 they will still do it at 12...

I think it is good. These kids are our last bastion of hope to carry on the tradition we all so deeply love. Our rural children are going to be the only kids interested or educated about the outdoors, and firearms in particular. Call me a conspiracy theorist but kids are bombarded everyday about how taboo guns are. This is going to be the tool to dismantle the 2nd A. If you were never educated about guns and were never around them, why would you care if they just phased them out? All of my girls were raised in the outdoors, my youngest is 10 and can't wait to go hunt with me. Let's face it 90 percent of the kids to day couldn't care less about hunting. We need to change that.

Well customweld, that was short and succinct. And with that logic you made such a great debate point that I am looking at this differently. Hunters and gun enthusiasts definitely need all the help that can come their way.

Pre64

You just cranked that one out of the park!

Custom weld put the icing on the cake!

Those of you who are supposedly (worried about the herd and not yourself of course) need to get a grip. The only 12 year old hunter I saw in the last two years I hunted there was my own now 17 year old son who killed bucks at 12 and 14. Could have killed does much sooner and easier but didn't.

I think that if you are "worried about the herd" you should just buy your tag plus a NR tag and not fill them. Your tag as a resident doesn't come out of a quota but the NR tag does and maybe you will help the herd.

I too am worried for the deer herd in Idaho but it won't be suddenly decimated by 10-12 year olds or even unethical parents of them.

Bill

People who work for a living are quickly being
overwhelmed by people who vote for a living.

I have 3 boys and all have killed deer/elk at this point. I agree with this law, though probably only 1 of my 3 would have taken advantage of it had it been available, for various reasons(physical, level of interest. I think giving parents the option is better than not.

Economics is not the reason. Idaho Youth tags are cheap, and we even allow NR youth to buy BG tags cheap, so F&G won't be making any profit, even if additional revenue is generated.

None of my kids has ever desired to kill a doe. Not saying yours shouldn't.

The other point already made that I agree with, is that dirtbags will be dirtbags no matter what the law and if they don't have kids tags to fill illegally they will use Mothers, Wives, Neighbors, or none at all and keep poaching.

For me I think it is great. I have 9 kids with 3 girls and 6 boys. My two older girls wanted to hunt when they were younger but by the time they were 12 they didn't want to any more. My boys have all played sports and they hunted for a year or two till they were too involved in their sport than they dropped off. Luckily the two older ones are back to going again. I think for the next 3 boys coming through they will be a lot more attached to hunting starting two years earlier.

DZ

i dont mind im pretty sure no parent with common sense is gonna turn their ten year old loose in the hills with a rifle.

every parent that has a ten year old that hunts is gonna take advantage of it even if they say the arent

some of you make it seem like the number of ten and 11 year olds will double or triple the amount of hunters

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-14 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]>I'm sure this is all about
>the revenue from that all
>important 10-12 age bracket.
>Must by why kids fish
>for free till they are
>14. This must be about
>adding to the hordes of
>12 year olds who overran
>me on the mountain last
>year. No, that was
>Wahooz.
>
>This is about giving parents two
>more years to hunt with
>their kids. This is
>about providing parents an opportunity
>to hook their kids on
>the outdoors rather than facebook.
> Are we really crying
>about 10 year olds shooting
>deer and making less opportunity
>for the rest of us?
> Idaho can't even sell
>all its OOS deer tags!
> Every young hunter who
>gets hooked on hunting will
>be buying a hunting license
>for the rest of his/her
>life. That's how you
>ensure hunting opportunities will be
>there for the future.
>
>These kids still have to take
>a hunter education course and
>hunt with an adult.
>I'm sure some of these
>adults will be morons and
>some will abuse the system.
> They abuse the system
>now. I have a
>hard time making policy based
>on the idea that the
>majority are morons and the
>state knows best. That's
>California thinking. My guess
>is that parents who take
>the time and effort to
>take a 10 year old
>hunting will produce the kind
>of ethical and responsible hunters
>this state needs.

Good post!, my daughter is 7 and has more common sense than most 30+ year old hunters.... and is gonna be part of the next generation of ethical hunters...
Matt

Wack'em and Stack'em

I think it's a fantastic idea. The general area I hunt is loaded with retarded deer that stay by the roads. We need a few more road hunting youngsters to thin the retards out. I generally stay in the bushes til midnight because the road hunters got all the roads traffic jammed til then. I just can't fathom getting back to camp 3 hours after dark.
Just kidding! But. The thing that scares me about the damn "shoot a deer any deer" units. Is it really makes me concerned what color clothing I wear.
I will get my 11 year old in on the shoots tho

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom