Lumenoks

coyote

I just watched some clips on youtube of animals being shot with the lumenok arrows. totaly awesome. now I have to try them. How do they work and are they legal in Colorado? would be awesome to be able to see your arrow in flight especially in low light conditions. How have they worked for you guys.

Saw the same thing and was impressed. Talked to my brother about it who lives in Idaho and he said they are illegal in Idaho So find out before you buy.

Lumenoks are not legal to hunt with in CO, as you can not use anything electronic or battery powered on the bow OR arrow.

BOHNTR )))---------->

They can also mess up your tune as they put a lot of weight on the back of your arrow. Possibly not noticable at short range where you see most of them used on TV, but out past 40 yards I noticed problems when playing around with them.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-11 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]I tried them last year on the deer hunt. I took one shot with them and it was the perfect set up. Minutes before dark, low light shot, which I had practiced before season to see how they worked in low light. Pulled back, settled in, deep breath, let er rip..... NO LIGHT. So shots on an animal I am 0 for 1 with the lumenok. Looked for my arrow and couldn't find it. Came back the next day and found in. little hair, no blood. I will give them another try this year. I practiced with them and didn't see a difference it shotting them vs my regular arrow.

JUNK: I had nothing but problems with Lumenoks.. Only could get one out of six to work. And as others report..after the shot when it counted no lighted nock. Riding an ATV some of the nocks flickered like christmas tree lights from the vibration. Same thing happened in the backcountry in the quiver..flickering lights when walking or drawing an arrow. Clearly not as advertised like what you see on TV. I sent them back to Cabela's and picked up the Easton Tracers which use a magnet to activate the light...works much better for us in States where you are allowed to use the lighted nocks.

))))......>

I've never used them but my brother in North Carolina uses and loves them. His are the kind that are magnet activated. On his first try with them he drew back on a doe and had the magnet pull his arrow off the rest and stick to his broadhead. He adjusted it after and it works great now. If you try them be sure the magnet won't mess you up before you go.

msy: good info regarding magnet placement..Also out to 50 yards I did see only a slight difference in arrow flight. The lighted nocks do add about 15gr. to the back of the arrow. You definately need to tune adjusting for those things. On Easton FMJ's the Easton Tracer lighted nocks seem to work ok.

))))......>

Lumenoks are too much of a hassle. The ones I used you had to pull the nock out of the bow just a hair so the wire didn't make a connection, pull it out too far and it wouldn't lite up, not pull it out far enough and it would lite up when you nocked your arrow to your bow. If you want an AWESOME lighted nock that are super simple to use and are bright and are trouble free, then get some Nockturnals!!! No batteries, or wires, or maganets to mess with. Simple take them out of the package they come in and stick it in your arrow and shoot.

The ones I used
>you had to pull the
>nock out of the bow
>just a hair so the
>wire didn't make a connection.

Sorry, meant pull the nock out of the ARROW just a hair :)

3Rayz could you give me just a bit more info on the Nockturnals. they sound great, how do they work? and are they very pricey. I mostly hunt in thick aspens would be awesome if I could see my arrow better in flight, espc. be able to see where the arrow hits the animal. Thanks, coyote

Nocturnals work very well. The nock is first fully inserted into the shaft of the arrow. They are activated by a switch located in the base of the nock. As your string moves forward, the switch is depressed and the nock lights up. To deactivate the light, you use the tip of a knife or another broadhead to move the switch up and into the "off" position. Mine are for goldtips and weigh 22 grains. I also have lumenocks and they weigh 28 grains. They do change the arrow trajectory so tune with them before you go hunting. They are a lot of fun to shoot with and you can get an idea of how your arrow is performing in-flite.

Dingo is right and they come in a package of 3 for about $25. There isn't anything on them to mess with, take em out of the package, put them on the arrow and shoot, its that simple. Come in 4 or 5 different colors and are very bright. Use them when you're practicing and sight your bow in with them. Wont really notice any effect on arrow flight till you get out to about 40+ yards.

Here is what I do. Instead of always practicing with them I take my regular nocks and stick a peice of sheilded copper wire inside the nock and trim wire untill it weighs the same as the luminock. Saves a little time and money when just practicing. Can't remember what gauge wire but find one that wedges in. It might slightly throw your arrow out of balance but I haven't found it to be a problem. BTW I will never hunt without them again. So many shots in the past where I haven't been able to see where my arrow hit. Anything to help that is worth it in my eyes. They are also fun to explode when sticking out of a target, as long as its your buddy's arrow!

Just an FYI...You can also make your own out of the Bobber Lights from fishing for a fraction of the cost. They work pretty good. I did mine on QAD Speed nocks to shave a few grains in tail weight because they are shorter. They work really well on clear nocks though.

Just do a search on ArcheryTalk dot com for "lighted Nocks" and you will pull up plenty of info.

>>-ERock-> ?

I used a green Lumenoks on the turkey opener 3 weeks ago and even though I didn't need it to track the flight of the arrow since it was only a 10 yard shot, but because of the pass thru I would have had a tough time finding my arrow in the 6" of snow without the the little green glow. Luckily it was early morning plus dark, cloudy and snowing so it was lit up good. If it would have been a longer shot it would have worked great to track the arrow in the low ilght I was in.

I found out that the batteries last a long time too. The day I shot the turkey I forgot to shut the light off until that evening (12-14 hrs later) when I noticed it was still glowing. If you look at the closest arrow in my quiver you can see its lit up.

And then last Saturday I was shooting in the back yard and forgot to shut the Lumenoks off again when I put my bow away and then on Monday night I got the bow back out and seen the nock was still lit up, weak but still lit up and this is on a year old unit I bought out of Cabela's cave for half the price.

9662img_0143.jpg

Congrats on a nice bird, Thanks for the pic. Since I can't use lumenoks in Colorado I might try useing nocturnels like Dingo suggested. Less than 4 months is opening day :)

patientlywaiting thanks for the link to the nockturnal website. They look awesome, now I'm realy bummed out. Looks like I can't use them either oh well. Just thought it would be nice to be able to see your arrow all the way to the animal. I usualy know right away if I hit the animal or not just not always certain exactly were I hit the animal. If a guy knew he maid a poor hit then you could back out a wait longer than normal ( I usualy wait 45 minutes on a good hit animal unless they go down in sight )

i just bought the nockturnals 3 weeks ago i origenalyt bought the blue lights and shot the 3d leueges that night and couldnt see them in the target even at 20 yrd so i took them back and got orange.

moseley middleton

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom