Made a bad shot HELP!!!

SWINGBOW

Made a bad shot HELP!!!

This afternoon my dad and I went to our local mountains to hunt pacific hybrids and I was able to sneak in on a nice buck. He was 40 yards broad side and had no idea I was there. I took the shot. I practice at 40 all the time and feel comfortable at that distance. Now the bad news I hit him dead center in the front leg I think my arrow was deflected by a small branch. We didn't push him and he looked pretty sick as he slowly walked away. I found my arrow and the broad head definitely hit bone there is blood about 8 inches up the shaft. Of course I am going at first light to look for him. My question to all you more experienced guys is Do you think this shot will kill him. I am trying to hear some good news so I can sleep tonight.

RE: Made a bad shot HELP!!!

I feel your pain. Not many bowhunters who haven't been in this situation at one time or another. If it were an elk I would say probably not die from a hit in the front shoulder. A deer however if the impact were hard enough it could have broken the bone. Since you left it alone it may bed down and stiffen up and may not get up until you find it tomorrow, that is best case. Best of luck and give it your best to find it that is what will make you feel the best however it turns out. nwhunter

http:www.elknut.com

If I'm reading you right, it sounds like yu found the entire arrow & head. Bad sign! You didn't bust through the shoulder/scapula or you would've been short the broadhead!

Too no weay you found everything intact with 8" of penetration, the blood must've splattered up the arrow on impact.

Good Luck in your search!! My guess is the buck is alive but hurting, he can survive minus coyotes & such don't find him!

ElkNut1

So, it's been a couple days. Did you find him?

I looked friday all day and couldn't go saturday but went back sunday morning. I never foud any sign of him other than the blood at the spot where he shook my arrow out. The ground is so dry and rocky I had a hard time even seeing his tracks. I glassed the area for hours where I saw him go and then walked all over there with my lab and my brother for a few more hours.
At this point I just hope it was not a fatal hit and I might be see him again. Thanks for your replies, Jeremy

thats to bad my brother lost a couple of deer just like yours mybe you can find him and get a nother shot good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom