Magellan GPS

R

RuttCrazed

Has anyone used any of the Magellan GPS units? I was checking out the Meridians and the Explorists, I like the removeable SD memory cards. I currently use an eTrex, but want to upgrade.

Thanks,

Rut

I have an Sportrak Map. Nice unit, the Meridians offer the SD card use with seems like a great idea. Sounds like they work fast if you use a card reader to transfer data.
I've had an old Garmin 48, which I gave to my brother the boater, when I got the Sportrak and one of my hunting buddies has the etrex vista.
I love the big display on the Magellans. My unit picks up enough satellites in the house to get a 3d reading where the Garmin 48 wouldn't.
The menus on all the map capable units are pretty easy to use. I think the Magellans are easier to read. Just got my son-in-law a Garmin RINO 130 and it is a nice little unit, but that little is part of the problem. The screen is really little.
The Magellans float if dropped. I have dropped a radio into the Colorado River that was clipped to my shirt pocket. Floating would have been good.
I liked my friends etrex vista. Two negatives. Hard to read screen and the antenna didn't work very well when under a tree canopy. In fairness, I have not had this Magellan in that same type of forest yet. But I'm reading that others are finding the Magellans to be better under a canopy than the etrex.
And my wife upgraded me to an explorist from Costco when they first came out but I had to return it because it had no pc interface. The newly released explorists do. Don't know what the marketing dept at Magellan was thinking!
Looks to me like the Meridians are the best bet because of the memory cards and big easy to read screens.
The proprietary map requirements are kind of a rip off. Like the PC or Mac worlds of the eighties. Maybe one of these companies will have the guts to open the code to other map writers. They'll sell more units if they do.
Good luck, I always thought I'd stay with the Garmin lineup, but I must admit I really like the Magellan Sportrak and the Meridian looks like a logical refinement of that idea.

Wow, thanks for the info. I also thought that Garmin was the last word in GPS, but those Magellans are looking pretty nice.

Rut

After checking them out some more, I noticed that the explorists 100, 200, and 300 don't have PC interfaces, but the 400, 500 and 600 do. Even the lowest grade e-trex has the pc interface. I am still trying to figure out the best bang for my buck.

Rut

I have a Sportrak as well and have been amazed at the speed it picks up satellites and under all kinds of different canopies as well. The display and ease in using is very nice. I wouldn't write off Magellan, much better than their previous products for sure.

I posted my experience earlier. I think the Magellans are the best bet right now because of the SD cards. You can buy a low priced Meridian and get all the memory you want with a cheap SD card. Garmin prices rise quickly as the memory expands.
All that said, my next purchase will be a Garmin RINO 120 or 130. Son-in-law, the McGyver of our family, wants to use them. And now the FCC gave Garmin a special exemption to use the GMRS radio signal for the "locator" signal. So if you all are using RINO's you can "see" where everyone is for quite a distance.
The firmware update is on their website now.
I will still keep my Sportrak because I am getting older and can't see the little screen on the RINO very well without my reading glasses. I can see the Magellan screen much easier.
Good luck.

I tpoo have the Sport Tak map and love it. I like that I can download topo maps and all sorts of other very useful gear!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom