Magnum Primer vs. Large rifle primer

Lhedrick1

Reloading for 300 Weatherby, 270 Weatherby and 7mm Rem Mag. Are magnum primers 100% neccesary for safety concerns? What's the real world difference between the two? Pros and cons for using either or must you use magnum for magnums and large rifle for large (non mag) rifles?

Using magnum or standard primers is largely based on the powder you will be using. Your best bet is to follow the guide lines given to you by your reloading manual that will indicate if magnum primers are recommended for certain powders in a particular load.

RELH

If you're not using very slow powders in cold weather you probably don't need them. but I can't imagine why you wouldn't use them , magnums call for magnum primers .

I use only Federal 215 M's. they're the best of the best in my opinion

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks guys, magnum primers it is. Only had large rifle primers kicking around from when my Dad and Grandpa reloaded so figured I would try those until I can get to the store.

Second the Fed 215M. I get the max velocity and smallest deviation with these, and even seem to burn cleaner resulting in better performing loads.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-19 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p]Local shop didn't have Federals so I got magnum CCI primers. Hope they suffice?

Powders in question are IMR 7828, H4831SC and H4350.

You don't have to use Federal primers. And if you do, you don't have to have the GM's. The regular 215's are fine. And I bet the CCI's will work also. mtmuley

CCI's will work fine. They do have a harder cup so they are my go to primer for AR-15's and AR-10s. The floating firing pin on those will dent softer primers when chambering and have been known to fire on chambering if the primer isn't quite fully seated.

With larger powder capacity cartridges, when in doubt, use a magnum primer, especially with ball powder. If you are worried about extreme accuracy and have the time and patience, it doesn't hurt to test different primers when working up a load. I don't have that much patience.

I've read that primers can have an impact on accuracy however I seriously doubt my shooting abilities are good enough to experiment with different primers!

Yes, primers can have an impact on accuracy and I've seen several accuracy studies to back that up. Many times the best groups are actually gained by the "coolest" primer which properly ignites the designated powder charge. This would be more real-world testing than most guys would ever dream of doing and may not amount to a hill-of-beans anyway.

With that said, depending on the application, I use several different brands of primers...not just Federal. The fact is they're all pretty damn good!

Whatever you do, once you have your load, stick with the same brand and type to ensure consistency.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom