Magnus stingers??

E

elk_horn

Who has experience with these broadheads on carbon arrows and how do they fly compared to your field points?

http:www.elknut.com
I've shot magnus stingers several times. I've taken two muley bucks & a 5-point bull elk with them. They fly awesome!

You can get them to fly with your fieldpoints once bow is tuned. You may have to make slight adjustments with your rest (left or right) to bring the two together, but no big deal.

I used the 125grn heads with bleeders. Total arrow wt. was 500grns. The bull was hit in the scapula, the stinger blew right through it, the bull went less than 100yds.

ElkNut1

I have used them and they fly well, I shot a cow elk with them without a pass threw. They stand behind their product. I am waiting for Magnus to release their new BH. I will be using the new BH from Magnus or Slicktricks this year.

Steelermadman2002

My brother & I both killed nice bulls w/ these heads. They fly true w/ a properly tuned bow, are very sharp, & get great penetration due to the two blade design.

they are awesome! i use 125 gr. with bleeders also. they fly exactly like my field points, and the penetration is awesome, clean pass through on my spike elk, and my deer this year. i have been really pleased with them.

They fly great, but I would look to another head for elk. I have shot 2 elk with the 4 blade stinger. One was a pass through and I saw the elk drop. On the other hit, the broadhead failed and I did not recover the animal. In my experience I think there are better choices out there.

I just got home from the bowshop. Got a 3-pack of the two blade stingers. This is no BULL-S@#T I took 6 shots and ruined 3 arrows!!! Not sure if I like em or not. I don't know if I can afford to buy new arrows every time I shoot!!!! Very sharp and accurate. I thought I'd get the two blades and if I like them I'd get the 4 blade. But I really do't see the point. If I have any arrows left after this weekend I'll let you know!!! I'd get e'm if I was you!! fIVE SHOT GROUPS THAT YOU CAN COVER WITH A TENNIS BALL!!! CD

>They fly great, but I would
>look to another head for
>elk. I have shot
>2 elk with the 4
>blade stinger. One was
>a pass through and I
>saw the elk drop.
>On the other hit, the
>broadhead failed and I did
>not recover the animal.
>In my experience I think
>there are better choices out
>there.

What do you mean the broadhead failed????? what kind of shot placement?

>I just got home from the
>bowshop. Got a 3-pack of
>the two blade stingers. This
>is no BULL-S@#T I took
>6 shots and ruined 3
>arrows!!! Not sure if I
>like em or not. I
>don't know if I can
>afford to buy new arrows
>every time I shoot!!!!
>Very sharp and accurate. I
>thought I'd get the two
>blades and if I like
>them I'd get the 4
>blade. But I really do't
>see the point. If I
>have any arrows left after
>this weekend I'll let you
>know!!! I'd get e'm if
>I was you!! fIVE SHOT
>GROUPS THAT YOU CAN COVER
>WITH A TENNIS BALL!!! CD
>

Here's a tip, get a 5 spot target and shoot at a different spot each time!!! Scheeeesss.

Lien2

Elk-horn, I'd like to hear how the Magnus failed on the elk. Was it a pass through? Did you recover the arrow after the shot. What happened. Let's hear the details. thanks CD

creeping? you need to ask Greenringer that question... read the hole post again... I have never hunted with the magnus stinger... I just bought a package like you.

I also think it is pretty hard to say the broadhead failed unless you give us the full story.

I have shot these heads for the past 2 years and must say they are the best I've used. Very sharp and very easy to sharpen after shot into a target a few times. They have done the job on all the animals I have taken with them.

Also no one has mentioned the lifetime guarentee. Just send the damaged heads in and you get brand new ones back. That also includes heads that you can't get to to fly right or just can't get as sharp as you want. Very very pleased with there customer sevice.

IB

Sorry bout that E-Horn. Greenringer, was it shot placement that lost the elk or the broadhead! I've shot now for 3 days and My groups are as tight as my feild points!!! I've preveiously shot muzzys, thunderheads, and interloks. I totally like these stingers! I shoot at a styrofoam target and each broadhead still has a fairly sharp edge after about 30 shots apeice!!! CD

Sorry green, but I must add my scepticism to the others. I hear so many people say this or that broadhead or bullet failed when they did not recover the animal. Unless you give better details than that, I will just chalk it up to other one of those stories. I have used them and like them, and they fly great for me. I use the 125 grain 4 blade.

One of the main things I would like to hear from you is how heavy your arrow was. Mine for elk is 429 grains.

For those that shoot a 300-350 grain arrow total weight at an elk, I think you will have some failures on elk unless the shot is perfect regardless of the BH used.

I would suspect that the only broadhead that might be better than the magnus is the german made ones that sell for around $120 for 3 blades. Great if you can afford it, but the magnus stingers are more than adequate.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Tex, was wondering if you used to shoot the 2 blade? Dose the 4 blade fly better? Do you feel the 4 blade performs better on elk. Thanks CD

I have never shot the 2 blade, although if you haven't seen the 4 blade, it is simply a 2 blade with a small cross bleeder razor blade. The bleeder blade would not hold up to a bone, but should add some damage when you slip it between the bones.

Bottom line is that the 4 blade is a 2 blade with a little added umph. You get more of the penetration of a 2 blade with a little something extra.

However, from my research, what makes either of them great penetrating heads is the cut on contact design.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Hello again,
I shot the 4 blade 100's and the two blade 100's and the two blade shoot better for me. I have killed a few deer and an elk with the two blades and the penetration is awesome. I love my stingers!
Mike

Okay,
Now you guys have me wondering. I shoot a Bowtech patriot at 68lbs. My arrows shafts weigh 288.9 + the insert, nock, fletchings. I shoot the 100 grain stingers and love them but should I consider the 125s? What does the heavier head do to a 27 inch arrow? or do I have to try them to see?
Thanks,
Mike

Not sure why you would go to the 125 grain head...with your arrow at 288 and you head at 100 plus fletchings,insert,and nock you should be a little over 400 the knetic energy with that set up should work great! good shot placement is always a must!Should be a great set up for elk or deer!

Thanks for the answer,
I have seen great results on the 3 deer and 1 elk I have taken. How do you calculate KE and what is needed for Elk? I just listened to the guy at the proshop with what he told me to use.
Have fun,
Mike

Mag 100, I definatly would go with the 125!!! A friend and I were shooting last weekend. He was concsidering going to a 100 grain head instead of the 125. He bought some 100 grain feild points To see how the set up reacted. He is running about the same FPS as you. After shooting the 100's a while He got the 125s back out. He kept 3 arrows with the 125 and 3 with the 100. At 40 yds there was a 1/4" difference in elevation. The 125's hit the target 1/4" lower. That's splitting hairs!! But the extra weight of the 125's will bring up the KE a little. He's going to keep shooting the 125's. IMO I'd do the same. CD

You need to check the center of mass on your arrow. That is the important thing. You will find that arrows will fly much better with one or the other depending on the center of mass. Check it out first before you switch. I used to shoot 125 gr but switched to 100 gr just because it helped the arrow flight so much more.

Here is the formula

(V^2 x Weight (grains))/450,240 = KE (ft lbs)

Take your speed in fps squared. Multiply that by your total arrow weight in grains. Then take that # and divide by 450,240 and that will give you your KE.

Go to eastons website, they have a handy KE calculator where you punch in your info and it spits it out for you.

Its hard to recommend a certain KE for shooting elk. I have heard many folks say that 55 ft lbs should be the minimum for shooting elk but I can tell you that I have shot elk with my recurve and had plenty of penetration. THat shoots right at 47 ft lbs. Shot placement is huge. Part of the trouble is people sometimes think that just because they are shooting a higher KE, they should be able to take more marginal shots. I disagree with that but there is no doubt that if you hit an elk in the shoulder with 75 ft lbs of KE, you will have more chances of penetrating deeper into the vitals than a 47 ft lb.

The FOC is what i was referring to as the center of mass. IT is very important to check your FOC. Like i said the 100 grain actually gave me a better result of FOC than the 125.

Take your arrow and measure the length. Lets say its 28". Divde that by 2 so you know where the center of your arrow is. That would be 14". Then balance your arrow so that you can find the exact point where the arrow balances. Lets say that is 12" from the end.

Now you take the difference (14"-12")and divide that by total length. So 2"/28" equals 7.14%. I believe you want to be around the 7-9% range. If you are higher or lower than that, you want to adjust your tip weight. Someone else should reply to make sure my percentages are correct. Seems like with 125 heads on my setup, i was at 11% and with 100 gr it brought it to around 8%

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile. My shot was from a treestand at about 10 yards. The hit looked like it was low behind the shoulder right at the crease. Since I didn't recover the elk I can't be sure. There was 19" of blood on the arrow and the main blade broke and the bleeders were missing. I trailed the bull the following morning .34 miles straight line distance (about .5 miles total) and found a bed with dried blood. We were not able to find any more sign or the bull. I have a picture of the broken head that I can email to someone if they know how to post it. I was shooting a 29" Gold Tip 75/95 that weighed 420 grains at 280 fps.

according to the picture it looks like you hit front shoulder bone on an angle Im not sure any broadhead would hold up ..if You hit the lower edge of the shoulder on an angle going away you didnt hit any vitals. I hit one kinda like that with a wack-em and never recoverd the animal we tracked it over 8 hours the next day and found where it bedded and found lots of blood but the farther we went the less blood only a few drops after being on the trail for 6 hours and then after 8 hours no blood...placement was too far forward on my shot.

I thought that may have happened or it deflected down off a rib? It was low light and things happened fast after the shot. At the time I felt like I made a chest shot, but I obviously didn't. I still think that a 3 blade cut to the tip head (razorcap or snuffer ss) would be a better choice. JMHO

I agree.. mine was quartering away at 23 yards and as I released he turned even more... so I think I went kinda under the arm pit... and your right things happen sooooooo fast and you hate to loose one like that but not sure what you can do.

LAST EDITED ON May-11-06 AT 06:44AM (MST)[p]http:www.elknut.com

Your choice of broadhead for elk was excellent!! You put your shot to far forward for a quartering away shot. You went in front of the heart & in front & below the lungs. Your only chance of a lethal hit was to severe a main artery, you didn't, the bull very well could've lived!

The other 2 heads you mentioned are excellent choices as well, but with your shot placement the results could've been the same! Too, make sure your heads are scary sharp!!!!!!

Put that arrow behind the 2nd rib next-time that angle presents itself & you'll be enjoying backstraps! <grin>

ElkNut1

I am a huge fan of the stingers. I shot a 5x6 bull this past season and he was just slightly quartering toward me (very slightly) and i let fly tight on the shoulder and hit the very edge of the shoulder bone went through both lungs, and hit a rib square on the other side and snapped it in half! I was astounded at the way this broadhead peformed. the bull went 25 yards and the lights were out. When i got there, my arrow with the ol stinger was sticking out aobut 9" on the other side of him. Even smoking the edge of the shoulder and squaring up on a rib on exit, i could slap a new bleeder in it and its good as new. They definately have my vote!

I like the Stingers, too. I shot a Grim Reaper earlier in the year, and got every indication of a pass-through without opening. (granted, it was not an ideal shot) I followed the deer's tracks for nearly a mile with not a spot of blood.

I had shot Grim Reapers because I couldn't get any three-blade fixed blade broadheads to fly close to my field tips. When I finally tried the 4-blade Stingers, I was shocked to cut the fletching of my first arrow.

Good luck.

stinger's are the "chit"!!! I picked up some 150gr 4 blades the other day. I was surprised to see the 125's and the 150's hit side by side on every shot!!! I'll shoot the 150's for elk this year!! Beleive it or not my stinger's group better than my feild points!! CD

I shot a 5x6 a few years ago when the stinger was first introduced. I called the bull in to 17yds, quartering away and the arrow exited in the opposite crease. He went maybe 60yrds with a blood trail a blind person could follow. 68lb Hoyt Razortec, 5575 Goldtips and 100grn stinger.

JO

I've shot them extensively, and have wathed my boy and my best friend's son use them on hogs out of relatively light equipment. Firstly, the blades are scary sharp. In my opinion, they are the sharpest blades available (I have not been able to get my hands on any silver flames which are supposed to be sharper). They shoot very well out of a well tuned bow. In my experience, at higher speeds, the level of tuning becomes more critical. For example, in the 270-295fps range, tuning simply as to be spot on or they will not fly with field tips. At lower speeds, the difference did not appear to be as critical. Of course for penetration purposes, we all ought to see our bows our tuned perfectly. I've only tested them on carbon shafts and they have shot well. Performance wise, they have penetrated very well in hogs out of light equipment which is a real test given how tough the shield on a wild boar is. They are not my personal first choice for deer or elk on my own rigs, but it is what I am insisting my boy shoots until his equipment changes. If I had to use stingers, my confidence level would be very high given my experice.

what do you prefer over stingers for deer and elk with a faster set up? Do you know anything about the crimson talons, I have heard that they are pretty vicious, and are suppost to fly well.

I've been quite impressed with slick tricks, wacems, turbos and iron head 100s. The slicks fly better than any head I've ever shot and have a large cuting diameter--the design tends leave big holes in what they hit. Kind of reminds me of the holes 12 or 10 guage slugs left in whitetails when I was a kid growing up back east. They also penetrate far more than they should given the cutting diameter. The only negative with the slick are the inconsistent blade sharpness. Some will shave right out of the package, some won't. I simply touch them up. The wacem's fly great and also penetrate suberbly. Blades are shaving sharp out of the package. The turbos and ironhead 100s also fly very well and have very sharp blades out of the package. I've only used the turbos and ironhead 100s on hogs, but I was much impressed. My primary bow shoots 400g arrows at 294fps. With the exception of the slictricks, I have to use these smaller heads to get field point accuracy and point of impact--even with a well tuned bow. For comparison, in my bow, which is well tuned, at 40 yds, the stingers hit 3" to the left of field tips. At this range, I can't adjust center shot to bring the two togther. If I was in a bind and only had stingers, I'd simply readjust my sights. The other reason they are not my first choice is they seem to be more affected by wind than the smaller heads, and the wind blows all to often on the high mountain ridges I hunt. By the way, the stingers group nearly as well as the slick tricks and field tips do accuracy wise.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom